Wife thinks reloading is too dangerous

Originally Posted By: Mike BOriginally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous. How dangerous is it really

Whatever you do, don't show her this picture
blink.gif
. Received in an e.mail so don't know how in the world it was accomplished...........operator surely was distracted to say the least. Only comment indicated it involved a progressive press.
That looks like my wife's finger.

Been reloading since 1952 w/both single stage and progressive presses. The single most important rule is to avoid any distractions. If someone comes into the loading room, shut it down!

Regards,
hm

That HAS to be Photoshopped?!?!?! How the heck could you even do that????

To the OP, if she let's you and your family get around in cars, she needs a real dose of reality. The anti's are getting to her emotional side - guns, shooting, ammo reloading, etc. are safer than driving statistically. And flying in planes, and swimming, and football, and soccer, and........

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous. How dangerous is it really

Whatever you do, don't show her this picture
blink.gif
. Received in an e.mail so don't know how in the world it was accomplished...........operator surely was distracted to say the least. Only comment indicated it involved a progressive press.

Been reloading since 1952 w/both single stage and progressive presses. The single most important rule is to avoid any distractions. If someone comes into the loading room, shut it down!

Regards,
hm

That picture HAS been faked with Photoshop - the case in relation to the finger is much too small to be a real revolver case - it would have to be a "25 Special"...

Plus, the bone would have damaged the case mouth.

BullPoo-forums.jpg

Quote:That picture HAS been faked with Photoshop - the case in relation to the finger is much too small to be a real revolver case - it would have to be a "25 Special"...

Could be, but the case is a rimless, bottleneck case.

Regards,
hm

The case head is not in line or at the same angle as the body - and the case head is 1/2 size of the finger nail...

.. that is not possible.

FakeFinger_zps273e10e5.jpg

If we can be serious here for just a minute, it would help to know what EXACTLY is the wife concerned about? What is it that she thinks makes reloading "dangerous"?

Many people mistakenly believe gun powder is like dynamite or plastic explosives in that it is prone to sudden, violent explosion if ignited. That is NOT the case. As others have pointed out, gun powder will burn, but as long as it is not tightly confined, it will not explode.

You can demonstrate this to her by putting a small amount of powder outside on a plate or other hard surface and lighting it with a long match or grill lighter. It just burns with a fizzle, it's not all that impressive and certainly not "dangerous".

Now if your wife thinks that you may harm yourself by makeing a mistake loading and then having a gun burst or otherwise malfunction, this is a possibility, but a very remote one as long as you follow well-established safety steps.

Understand and follow all standard safety steps. Do not cut corners and do not allow distractions.

Never start at maximum load. Always start at the low end and work up.

Double check recommended powder weights with INDEPENDENT sources. Never take one person's advice on powder weights, verify ALL sources of information. It's very easy for a person or a website to say "43 grains" when they meant 34 grains.

Learn to recognize the signs of excessive pressure.

If any round does not fire or fires with only a small pop, ALWAYS check the barrel for obstruction.

Get good instruction from a qualified source BEFORE you start loading.

Do these things and you'll vastly reduce the potential issues.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: lhitchcoxWhat is the Cabelas sale price? I find their prices on reloading equipment to be excessive. Check Midway for like item. I think this may be what you are looking for:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

Midway is more on the same kit cabelas sells that one for 319 but I am looking at the select kit with the trimmer and powder stand which is 479 and also it has the range master 750 scale

Reloading is hazardous to your bank account. But I'd
rather spend it myself than hafta give it to the govt.
(Ducks and looks around for a drone)

It looks like 5.7, and the good news is its still primed, the bad news is with the high probability of blood, and a little flesh, being in the casing the primer probably wont work.

Can you imagine the words that came out of that persons mouth.

I would not have been able to take a picture. Would have woken up in a pile of my own vomit.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous. How dangerous is it really

It is dangerous .... that's why you have to PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS

Quote:Tell her going to the mall is dangerous!...You are right...There are more reported kidnappings, car jackings, purse snatches, assaults, rapes, and juvenile delinquency at malls than are ever reported in reloading rooms or at reloading benches...

I've cut my finger off in a kitchen. Never had any problems in the reloading room. In fact my children love to help operate the handle of the press. Very safe when you pay attention to all details.

Originally Posted By: vahunterOriginally Posted By: pdog2062The only problem I have had with my wife and reloading was when I spilled some spent primers on the floor and some rolled onto the carpet in the next room.The vacuum cleaner would not pick them up so I spent the next hour doing it by hand.

I did the same thing but the primers went off when my wife vacumed them up.

I threw some primers in the wood burning stove. While I was at work my wife lite the stove and went up stairs. Shortly calling me and telling me that something is shooting in our basement and what should she do?

Originally Posted By: RubenatorTommy, you do realize we will never look at you the same as before this thread came along right?

I had to see what you would all say. I bought my equipment two days ago. I bought a rcbs select kit

Back