Wife thinks reloading is too dangerous

All joking aside which there has been plenty. I know a lot of people here say they have never lost fingers or had problems. I havent either. That does not mean there are not hazards.

The truth is that YES reloading CAN BE dangerous. Doesnt mean that it IS dangerous. There are many stories of people over loading rounds or using the wrong components and having guns blow up. There are plenty of hazards. The dangers are generally caused because of errors or stupid actions and not listening. Learn to reload properly and pay attention. Distractions in the reloading room do not belong there. Follow those simple rules and you should never have a problem.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous. How dangerous is it really
Does your wife reload?

Hike your skirt up when you sit down to pee cause your wife doesn't like you to miss. Now go buy the loading equipment and start on your new found hobby. If you have kids involve them and use the excuse that you have a hobby that you and the kids can share together. I have never questioned what my wifes hobbys are and she never questions mine, after 33 years. Good Luck,----Riflemann

ok to sum up: Reloading is only dangerous to your wallet. Its fun... and addictive, you'll find yourself buying gadgets just because "you may someday need them".
Enjoy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: reb8600All joking aside which there has been plenty. I know a lot of people here say they have never lost fingers or had problems. I havent either. That does not mean there are not hazards.

The truth is that YES reloading CAN BE dangerous. Doesnt mean that it IS dangerous. There are many stories of people over loading rounds or using the wrong components and having guns blow up. There are plenty of hazards. The dangers are generally caused because of errors or stupid actions and not listening. Learn to reload properly and pay attention. Distractions in the reloading room do not belong there. Follow those simple rules and you should never have a problem.

Best advice given in this thread.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous. How dangerous is it really

Whatever you do, don't show her this picture
blink.gif
. Received in an e.mail so don't know how in the world it was accomplished...........operator surely was distracted to say the least. Only comment indicated it involved a progressive press.

Been reloading since 1952 w/both single stage and progressive presses. The single most important rule is to avoid any distractions. If someone comes into the loading room, shut it down!

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous. How dangerous is it really

Whatever you do, don't show her this picture
blink.gif
. Received in an e.mail so don't know how in the world it was accomplished...........operator surely was distracted to say the least. Only comment indicated it involved a progressive press.

Been reloading since 1952 w/both single stage and progressive presses. The single most important rule is to avoid any distractions. If someone comes into the loading room, shut it down!

Regards,
hm

That HAS to be Photoshopped?!?!?! How the heck could you even do that????

To the OP, if she let's you and your family get around in cars, she needs a real dose of reality. The anti's are getting to her emotional side - guns, shooting, ammo reloading, etc. are safer than driving statistically. And flying in planes, and swimming, and football, and soccer, and........

Originally Posted By: Mike BThat HAS to be Photoshopped?!?!?! How the heck could you even do that????

Guess that's possible, Mike, but who would think of staging something like that.

After studying the picture, and since the e.mail mentioned a particular progressive press on which I have loaded well over 700,000 rounds (without incident), and due to the angle of the cartridge, my guess is he was preparing to place a bullet in the neck of a primed & charged case when he became distracted and operated handle with his center finger directly under the seating die.

This further emphasizes the need to remain focused on the task at hand whenever reloading, shooting, driving or performing any other task that requires one's full attention.

Regards,
hm

I'm just thinking that once, oh say, the neck has penetrated halfway through the bone in your finger, wouldn't ya think your instantaneous reaction would be to STOP pushing the lever down anymore??

You'd think, wouldn't you. Could have been a bit of "group tightener" at work, or............?

I once purchased a 1911 from a fellow that put a 230 gr. FMJ 45ACP through that finger. He had been dry firing his pistol and was preparing to return it to the night stand while arguing with his wife. He put the magazine in the pistol and absent-mindedly racked the slide, then pulled the trigger w/his finger over the muzzle.

Regards,
hm

Tell her if you start reloading it will leave more money in the checkbook for her shoes.

Screw it....
Don't tell her anything and go do it anyways. Its always easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission.

Do you know how much more dangerous it is to shovel snow......... how many people die from heart attacks ....... so when she goes looking for you and wonders why the walk is not shoveled.... say you are playing it safe in your reloading area...

..this seems to get better and better with each reply
lol.gif

FWIW- I messed up my shoulder while shoveling snow a few years ago, and it has never been quite the same since then!

Last edited:
ok so she has settled down finaly and she was ok with me getting a press today so we are at cabelas and they said they would hold it for me for the sale price of 479 which was the sale price after the holiday. I went up to the counter and they sold it. So I asked if they had anymore or if they would order another for the sale price and she says sorry that ended yesterday. I left very upset. I called cabelas back while driving home and bitched and it sounds like they will now order the rcbs roch chucker select kit for me at the sale price.

Yea!

You didn't let her read this thread did ya?

I hate for ya to gain a reloading set up but loose your Internet privileges!

Back