Wife thinks reloading is too dangerous

i still have all 8 of fingers,....

the truth is it can be dangerous if your stupid and cant follow directions,... thinking your smarter than a reloading manual.. if you can follow directions its no problem,

The real answer is...If you are normally a safe and accident free individual (you've never come close to shooting her by accident), then reloading is just another hobby and a way to shoot more on the same amount of money, or saving some money over time for what ever limited shooting that you do....If you are one of those people that is 'accident' prone, always stubbing your toe, cutting yourself with sharp objects, then, probably, reloading as well as firearm handling is just not for you.....

I've been reloading since '74, before the internet, etc..when as a member of the police pistol team, I had to build my own accuracy loads for my handgun...Having never touched on the experience prior, it was a steep learning curve, but I did have good and willing help getting there...Have I had a few 'bobbles' over the years??..Sure, but more along the lines of realizing something was not 'just right' and having to tear down 100 rounds and redoing them...Now, it's really odd thing if I have to tear down five, usually due to a distraction on the part of my wife or grandkids, and I fail to put powder in a series of five...

I have been loading since the middle seventies.
Not paying attention and distractions can be dangerous.
Double check everything twice.

I'm at the age that reading glass are a safety tool, well
when it comes to reading load data and powder scales.

Just keep sending her to buy ammo for you, when she runs out
lip stick money then tell her how much you would save by reloading.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous. How dangerous is it really

You've got to be kidding...

.... on 5 different levels!!

I keep 300 pounds of powder and 10's of thousands of primers in my basement and we sleep well.

You have other problems that are not related to reloading.

Originally Posted By: berger-kingi still have all 8 of fingers,....

the truth is it can be dangerous if your stupid and cant follow directions,... thinking your smarter than a reloading manual.. if you can follow directions its no problem,

..and two thumbs I hope..
scared.gif

berger-king makes some good points.
Read up on how to reload and go through the sticky post up at the top of the reloading forums, where you will find most of the important safety tips within the first few pages.
Best bet would be to find someone for some `hands on` training to get started, but that is not a must..just helpful.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous. How dangerous is it really

Reloading is safe. That is just your wife's opinion because she doesn't know what is involved. I would recommend (once you are done reading some reloading books) introduce her to the entire process from start to finish. She probably just wants peace of mind?

I have seen men who thought that reloading was at least 75% Voodoo, so it shouldn't be a surprise that a female would be concerned. The bottom line is that reloading is a simple physical process that when followed will give good to great results.

I can't tell you how many times I have been asked by non-reloaders if I load hotter than the book loads. My answer is to hold up my hands and say, "Nope, see I still have all my fingers."

The only problem I have had with my wife and reloading was when I spilled some spent primers on the floor and some rolled onto the carpet in the next room.The vacuum cleaner would not pick them up so I spent the next hour doing it by hand.

Originally Posted By: pdog2062The only problem I have had with my wife and reloading was when I spilled some spent primers on the floor and some rolled onto the carpet in the next room.The vacuum cleaner would not pick them up so I spent the next hour doing it by hand.

I did the same thing but the primers went off when my wife vacumed them up.

Originally Posted By: lhitchcox

I can't tell you how many times I have been asked by non-reloaders if I load hotter than the book loads. My answer is to hold up my hands and say, "Nope, see I still have all my fingers."

Books are only a conservative suggestion...and I have all my fingers.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyWas gong to buy a reloading press and wife said no it is too dangerous. How dangerous is it really Reloading is no different than most hobbies but don't buy a press first , buy a good reloading manual and read it twice then get your reloading equipment.

Originally Posted By: DABI would change her title to EX-Wife.
Your wife is more apt to hurt her self cooking and cleaning than you would be reloading.

just dont tell her that. she may stop altogether.
grin.gif

Just goes to show what wives know. Best thing to do is just man up and reload, keeping her and other distractions away.

Originally Posted By: dan brotherswhat do ya tell a wife with two black eyes...?

Nothing ya haven't told her twice already,do I hear a third.

This has been a funny read:

Join the NRA and take their reloading course. It is about safety.

I started reloading at 12 and I am 66 now and have all my fingers and toes. I had a great Dad and he had rules.

Reloading is not for everyone. You do need "Common Sense".

Back