Who packs a side arm?

Ditto Bluealtered,
IDB made a great point, and JCL handled his situation good. It's better to be a good witness and make it home, when that's all you need to be. I carry a sidearm about 70% of the time hunting. Sometimes it gets in the way, but it's like that extra jacket you didnt think you'd need but you packed it anyway, someday it might be pretty comforting to have with you. These story's have convinced me to go ahead and bring it all the time.

I never used to carry when outdoors. One day, my girlfriend and I were taking a ride in the jeep when we ran into a downed tree and had to stop. While trying to decide if I wanted to drive down a really steep embankment to get around it, this guy appears out of nowhere and walkes up to the jeep. He had bright orange hair, and a big fresh purple scar running down his cheek into his neck. He was really scarry looking. Anyway, he never said a word, just walked up and grabed the door handle and pulled the door open. It just so happened that my Flattop in .44 mag. was in the door pocket and I already had my hand on it. When the door opened, he was looking at my face, not my hand. I cocked the hammer, and all the blood just ran out of his face. He started backing up with both hands in the air flashing peace signs and telling me to calm down. He was moving so quickly backward, I guess he forgot that there was a six foot drop behind him. My girl and I nearly choked from the dust his boots were making while he was running back to where ever it was that he came from. Ever since, I carry my 1911 in 45ACP, or my Ruger Security Six, .357 when I go into the woods. You just never know.
John

I am lucky enough to have a CCW in California (Kern County is a pocket of resistence in occupied territory). However, the last two times we went calling, I left the Glock 27 at home. I just don't see it being that useful in my waistband underneat my coveralls, getting in and out of the truck all day long, and rolling around in the field.

Besides, if a two or four legged creature was a threat, the AR15, 12 gauge, or even scoped .243 would be a better battle weapon.

While hunting, I don't see how the handgun in your holster is going to be better than the rifle or shotgun in your hands. I did find the guy who wants to have a final last ditch if he is wrestling around with a lion or bear to have a good point, but that is the only reason I can think of, while hunting.

Otherwise your handgun should always be your tool to fight your way to your rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

True enough TenPercent but in the situation safecracker described, your long guns are worthless. A large percentage of time, when a two legged predator tries to make you a victim the combat will be in close quarters. I will take my Glock 35 or Kahr P40 in close quarters any day. The gun that the dirtbag doesnt see, in some cases anyway, can be just as much a life saver as the one he can see. The ability to deploy your chosen weapon system is the key and for general walking around I tend to agree with your assessment of the long gun. The situation safecracker described was an ambush and he never would have got to a long gun even if he had one.

It wouldnt be on my side when approaching a downed coyote, I dont worry about the animal if I can see it from a distance its when they fall behind brush and a good approach is not likely then the side arm comes out for quicker reaction time. And like wyosongdog said "two legged are likely to be close" and a rifle gives them a handle to get ahold of leaving you helpless. when I originally posted this it was more for downed coyotes and such, now with all the stories of crazy fools in the woods has got me thinking more about two legged trouble also. I plan on getting my ccw also as my wife works with the county jail and has some friends that may someday try to pay us a unwelcome visit if you get my drift.

I have carried a 22 Revolver for years, recently it was replaced with a P22, Walter 22lr, this plastic framed semi-automatic 22 is light and carries nicely enough easy to forget .... until there's work to be done. Finishing off with a rifle is noisy and messy, the 22 lr is a perfect choice for that.

Seems we all have our opinions, and / or experiences that determine whether or not we carry a side arm. I'm like Jim1750 - I carry one probably 70% of the time.

Last year, while calling coyotes, I had a confrontation with a 4-legged critter; a bear answered the call. I didn't know he was answering until I got up, packed up my stuff, and met him face to face on the trail. He was probably 25 to 30 yards from me, coming in my direction. No doubt in my mind that he was coming to the call. He was doing a "huffing" sound when I first saw him; a warning probably. I had a Kimber 45 on my side, but loaded with snake shot since I was hunting while snakes were still around. A lot of good that would have done. Encountering a bear never crossed my mind. I had my AR, but it wasn't exactly bear medicine.

I yelled at him and tried to appear meaner than he was, and he backed down, headed off into the woods, still huffing. It was a nice confrontation after it was all over, and I was glad for it, to experience it - but it could have gone south in a hurry. After that, I began carrying a 44 mag.

After a while, seems I have begun to get a little lax, and have not been carrying a side arm lately. But, I need to, I think. If nothing more, it makes me feel a little safer, and that may be worth something. I do carry one quite often in my vehicle, but not always on my side.

Wearing a side arm doesn't really bother me and I rarely notice it. I guess it's just up to the individual what he or she likes or feels the need for.

My two-cents worth.

Quote:

....I yelled at him and tried to appear meaner than he was, and he backed down, headed off into the woods, still huffing....

I'd say that little incident would be a gold star on anybody's resume...it must be kinda difficult to walk with a satchel like that hangin' ain't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I either carry my Colt Commander with the .22 conversion kit and 10 round mag, or my Ruger Single Six with the .22 mag cylinder in it.

Tim

A number of years ago I experienced a "coyote incident" that caused me to rethink my decision to carry a sidearm. It was an afternoon bowhunt for whitetails, and close to sunset I began to hear a coyote or possibly two.There was a little bit of yipping and they seemed to be working my way. I stayed put, until it was finally too dark to shoot.By the time I had gathered up my scent canisters and stool and began to head out toward the road, that coyote(s) had stalked to within bow range of me.There was no doubt in my mind that they smelled the deer scent, but I also thought there would have been enough human scent to send them packing.It wasn't though, as the coyote(s) followed me down the hillside,staying just out of range of my mini maglight.While I wasn't really worried about an attack, it did cause me a bit of concern,and I kept scanning my light in the direction of some low growls and the sounds of movement through the brush. I know it sounds unbelievable, and I probably wouldn't believe it myself, except that it happened to me, and my ex-wife and son were at the road and witnessed it as well.
Now I know a broadhead will kill a coyote and I've taken several with a bow, however due to the way a broadhead works, a coyote in hand-to-hand range would still have time to bite you multiple times before expiring, if it was he11bent on doing so. So after that, I started carrying my s&w 357mag snubbie anytime I carried a bow.
If I'm not actually hunting, my current ccw is a springfield XD40sc. While I do hunt with the 44mag in my avatar, it's a primary carry gun, just too heavy to carry along with a long gun and too big to conceal as a carry gun. It does stop whitetails and black bears though,lol.

A lot of us have more than one pistol, and trying to have the right one at the right time, can drive you nuts just thinking about it.

Remember that they kill 6-8 hundred pound steers with .22's, it comes down to placement of the bullet.

Proper placement comes from practice, sure if i knew i was going to face a charging buick, ... i would like to have a s/w 1006 10mm, or better yet a rpg. The bottom line is that there is always a .22 pistol in the rig and half the time i just throw it in my pocket like eveybody else.

The best way to win is to be ready. blue

Quote:
While hunting, I don't see how the handgun in your holster is going to be better than the rifle or shotgun in your hands. I did find the guy who wants to have a final last ditch if he is wrestling around with a lion or bear to have a good point, but that is the only reason I can think of, while hunting.

There's a multitude of good reasons to carry one, and only a couple reasons against, being weight and it gets in the way as the reasons most commonly cited. Well, the day that a couple pounds on the hip becomes too cumbersome for me, I probably shouldn't be in the woods anyway. Besides, there are many good airweight options out there that are compact, and weigh next to nothing. I'll go that route before I give up carrying in the woods.

I've also trained my son to do the same. His first sidearm at 11 years old was an airweight Smith .22lr. Like carrying air in a holster. Neet little sidearm for the kids. When he graduated 8th grade last summer, he got upgraded to my old GP100 with a new Magnaport velvet hone finish. And about 1000 rounds of wadcutters for practice.

The plus of a sidearm is it is ALWAYS there (if worn). Someone strange approaches, I can concentrate on them and what they're doing, and not where my rifle is at or how I'll get to it if I need it. It's not in the backseat of the truck, leaning against a tree, or on my bunk when the stranger enters camp, or the bear rounds the corner as I'm field dressing my animal.

Another good reason is where I hunt is open range. I'd rather have a .357 with some good hard cast ammo than the .223 or 22 mag when facing a ticked off range bull with no fence in sight.

But, just as with a rifle, it does you no good if it's likewise in the truck, on the bunk, or hanging off the back of a camp chair. I select my sidearms with that in mind. The big old 44 might be comforting when a bear is about, but the chances of that thing being on the back of the chair or in the truck grow greater as the trip grows longer. A good med frame .357 with some 187 grain cast cores even a .40 cal on the hip beats the heck out of a 44/454 on the bunk.

What I want is a 5 shot .41 mag in a med frame revolver with 4" barrel. Potent and relatively compact and easy to carry. If they made one, I'd be all over it. Until then it's the .357 or the .40.

Again, many good reasons to carry. Unfortunately what I see a lot of times the reason a good number of guys don't carry is because they fear they'll be ridiculed or joshed by other guys who were ridiculed for carrying, or just chose to not carry or see the benefits of carrying. That's a bit more common than I think people will admit. How many times have you heard the tired old joke about "hope that front sight is filed off, because it's gonna hurt when the bear shoves it up your rear"? And "carrying a sidearm is a true sign of a greenhorn where I hunt". Or "you'd be laughed out of camp". Well, laugh away buddy, my skin is thick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And if you think where you hunt is rough, come visit some of these canyons in AZ. If I can hump it up and down these canyons with a sidearm, I can do it in your mountains.

Quote:
davr,
I think Taurus makes a mid-frame 5-shot .41 mag wheelgun. Stainless or lightweight titanium frame.

Thanks Pete. I actually found that out not long after I posted. Seemed like a good enough idea someone should have been doing it, and as it turns out Taurus was.

Seems like a pretty well regarded gun. Not too thrilled about the presence of the "what did you say" porting on it, but other than that, it looks like it will fit the bill quite nicely for what I'm looking for. Think there may be one in my near future.

I take a 1927 Colt pre-Woodsman. It was retrofitted with the hi-speed mainspring kit for high velocity .22 lr., and I made a set of corian grips for her. Front bead sight, with a long sight radius makes it shoot almost like a carbine. I think it is the thinnest, non-lumpy pistol ever, in a shoulder rig. I also carry it in a 1930's pre-tactical, drop leg Hieser flap holster when wearing a pack. It rides comfotably, well below the pack belt. If I jettison the pack, I still have it on. Mostly I just stick it in my back pocket with the barrel up, poked thru a belt loop. It has killed a ton of critters on the trapline and in the field.

Colt.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

I guess that I am just an Old $#!+, that likes old $#!+

Lots of rattlesnakes where I hunt in the spring and summer months. When that time of the year comes around I'll carry my Taurus 5 shot 45 Colt. It's loaded with snake shot in a cross draw holster so to not interfere with my rifle carry.
I always keep a few extra 250 grainers in my pocket just in case I need them. Otherwise I carry one of my 40 caliber autos tucked away, if needed it's there.

I carry a Glock Model 20 in 10mm in a shoulder holster. There's something comforting knowing that I have 15 180gr XTP's at my beck and call any time I need them as fast as I care to pull the trigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

All you have to do is call in a couple of bears or cougars and you get a whole new perspective on predator calling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

$bob$

Back