What's your favorite varmint rifle?

Rich44, You have the two twenty caliber cartridges I'd like try sometime. On occasion I wish I had built the VarTarg instead of the Practical. Does the BR cycle reliably through the Savage action?

I could not get it to feed reliably so I went to a single shot action, I like the ballistics of the 55gr Berger so much I had to have a 20 cal that could move the 55 Berger as fast but also feed so I had this built

20-250 feed's great not as accurate but close and a bit faster
groundhog20250004_zps40bfb880.jpg

Talking about fav. chuck rifles, when I first retired I was at a gunshow in Pittsburg, Pa.. Huge compared to what I am used to.. Anyway, this older guy was ask someone about target block for a Rem. 40x.. During the conversation, the older guy was ask how many chuck he killed that year.. His reply was the one yesterday(this was early Nov.) made 432 this season!!! I about fell over.. Anyway, I managed a conversation with him.. He told me he only hunted maybe 4 or 5 farms near the W. Va. line.. I ask about his fav. calibers for chucks. He said he had 4 40x's all in his fav. caliber 30-338!! His bullet was a 125 grain Nosler BTBT... He was making a .25-06 for shooting near buildings!! Someone else started visiting with him and the conversation was over.. I would have loved to have seen those guns .. He did say he had a 6-24 Balvar on each of the 40x.s

That stock on the 17 is really nice.

I'll tell 'ya, the triangular barrel of the VTR is like a square hamburger to me, it just never seemed right.

Originally Posted By: wdchuckhuntr

I'll tell 'ya, the triangular barrel of the VTR is like a square hamburger to me, it just never seemed right.

I get that a lot! lol

Thanks Eric. I agree with wdchuckhuntr on the VTR, I put it in the same league as the Leupold VX-L that isn't round either. It just ain't natural
crazy.gif
. As long as it shoot though, that is the main thing. I love the grain on that 17.

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYThanks Eric. I agree with wdchuckhuntr on the VTR, I put it in the same league as the Leupold VX-L that isn't round either. It just ain't natural
crazy.gif
. As long as it shoot though, that is the main thing. I love the grain on that 17.

A Remington VTR with a Leupold VX-L...

If that ain't 10 pounds of ugly, I don't know what is....

Originally Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunterYou don't hear of many folks shooting the old .222 these days.. It is a gem..

I shoot a 222, plus a 222 Magnum - does a 222 Magnum count? I think it is even gem'er
smile.gif

I started out groundhog hunting years ago with my dads triple deuce. I never really appreciated it at the time. I should say that I blamed it for a lot of misses that I'm (now) sure were my fault. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to inherit it and put it to proper use.

wdhunter, What kind of .222 is it??? My first one was a Savage 340 in .222.. Like a dumb kid I sold it when I was 15.. It really shot pretty good for that cheap rifle.. Have had several other's since.. Couple adls, 722's, now I have a custom 700 and a Sako that my old hunting partner sold me before he passed away.. The custom has killed thousands of varmits.. But the Sako is only used on turkey..

Cat, one of my friends here has 3 .222 mag.s .. His favorite is on its third barrel.. I never owned one.. Really was satisfied with the .222 and .22-250 until my shooting pal said I'll give you 400 new trimmed .223's if you buy one.. So I built a .223.. If I were going that route again, I think I would make the 223 and AI..

I have two rifles in inventory that I would classify as varmint category at this time. I actually like them both very well.

one is a Rem 700 stainless fluted varmint contour barrel in 223 ackley

the other is a Rem 700 stainless sps sporter type in regular 223.

both have upgraded stocks from the scroungy tupperware ones they came with and have timney triggers

I am in the process of procuring a Rem 700 classic in 222 to add to my varmint type critter arsenal.

I also have an itch to get a rem 700 in 17 fireball or 221 fireball and get it re-barreled into a 20 vartarg

Last edited:
wdchuckhr, you are really racking up the chucks.. a good year or just normal..?? I think the best I ever did was one summer I visited Pa. for about 10 weeks.. Killed 186 I think.. Maybe a couple less, but I think that was it.. Wish I would have stayed and tried for 200..

Hey, that is great shooting.. some of the most fun shooting I had at chucks was in McKean County 40 odd years ago.. Great long distance shooting.. I was handicapped with my little .222, but it was fun.. Always figured I would return, but never did.. Keep shooting and keep us posted..

I would say model 788 22-250. My fathers, now mine and still ticking with the redfield 6x18. I put a Timney in it other than that nothing else but a pile of bullets. Still holds an inch group. God knows how many he put through it but I'd say I put around 800 rds.

Back