What muzzleloader are you shooting??

T/C Omega,50 caliber, thumbhole stock with a Nikon Omega scope. Remington 700, 50 caliber in a Boyds laminate with a Leupold scope. Both shoot very well.

Last edited:
Flint lock 50 cal TC Hawken with a patched round ball and open sights. Impulse buy when looking at clearance items several years back.

I was using a Remington 700 ml with pyrex pellets and barnes hp projo.

Since switched to an encore pro hunter 209x50. Haven't even shot it yet.

This is 54 cal flintlock. I built this one 35 years ago.
I have killed a lot of deer with it in Pennsylvania in their flintlock season.
The gray thing next to it is called a knee.
Mine is made from an elk hide. The first ones came from the knee of a deer.
They are used to cover the lock from rain or snow.
I shoot a round ball with 80 grains of FFF.

I have kill a few here in Ohio.
If you build them right, a flintlock is a great rifle.
Just get a little smoke in your face.

8LWSudd.gif

Originally Posted By: willy1947

This is 54 cal flintlock. I built this one 35 years ago.
I have killed a lot of deer with it in Pennsylvania in their flintlock season.
The gray thing next to it is called a knee.
Mine is made from an elk hide. The first ones came from the knee of a deer.
They are used to cover the lock from rain or snow.
I shoot a round ball with 80 grains of FFF.

I have kill a few here in Ohio.
If you build them right, a flintlock is a great rifle.
Just get a little smoke in your face.

8LWSudd.gif

Barrel is Green Mountain 1-48 32in long (1in across flats) .540 dia balls light cotton patch.
I used it at BP Matches to snuff out candles at night.
The large ball make more wind to blow out the flame.
You just shoot an inch to the right.

Daytime/Cut string on an angle or cut crossed strings. Split balls in half on axe/ bust two clay birds. Just Mountain man stuff.

Beautiful workmanship, Willy!

Never hunted w/flint and not a lot w/percussion, but I was worried about snow/rain causing hangfire on my Hawken, so took a .32ACP and pressed it over the proper size drill bit shank to
open case a couple of thousandths so it fit snug on the capped nipple. Was pretty effective safety, as well w/hammer resting on the base of the case.

Regards,
hm

T/C stainless Thunderhawk 50 with a 21-inch barrel and shoot PRB's. 100 yds are my shots and it shoots sub 2 MOA. 3x9 scope and only shoot 70 grains of 3F because it is all I need.

I have a chance to pick up either a used Knight Buckhorn, or a T/C Omega Laminate Compact...which would you choose, both 50cal...$275 for the Buckhorn and $600 for the Omega, but it has a Leupold 2×7 on it..barrel is stainless on the Omega.

Originally Posted By: greengt88I have a chance to pick up either a used Knight Buckhorn, or a T/C Omega Laminate Compact...which would you choose, both 50cal...$275 for the Buckhorn and $600 for the Omega, but it has a Leupold 2×7 on it..barrel is stainless on the Omega.

I'd be awful leary about a Buckhorn, unless you can really check
out the bore.

Depending on the care stainless CAN become pitted, but chances
are that it is not. Most who have them really like the
Omegas. Spend once, cry once.

A few things to consider, muzzle loader season is a year away,so BP rifles aren't in demand right now, the omega is a discontinued model and I assume its used. All these can be used to lower the price of the rifle. $600 even with the Leupold sounds a little high.

Yea idk if a used BP is the best way to start off...ive been looking at the Knights and the Rem 700 UML...ive also been considering a 45cal, but unsure of brands etc..this is all new to me.

Knights use Green Mountain barrels. Usually very accurate. Omega's, never seen one that wasn't a good shooter also. As far as the Remington Ultimate muzzle loader, I think they are over priced and a regular Remington 700ML with the Badger bolt kit will do anything the Ultimate will do.As far as buying used, pull the breech plug and look down the barrel. Abuse should be very easy to see. Just FYI,all the WalMarts are starting to mark all their BP rifles down. Might find a deal there.

Walmart is a good place to check. I have seen price tags for CVA Wolf muzzleloaders as low as $80. The shelf was empty though. I was a little late. Used muzzleloaders can be an iffy situation unless the buyer knows what to look for. Some of the guys I know did not clean their muzzleloaders properly. I saw one high dollar Knight that had no rifling in about 10 inches of the barrel due to lack of cleaning.

Back