What caliber ya using?

.204 40gr v-max Works great on cat, a little iffy sometimes on yote.
25-06 117gr on yote. 117gr because that is what shoots best in my rifle.
12ga with dead coyote for hunting the thickets.
Brad

cec,
Consider this if you are looking to buy a new gun:

Are your going to be reloading your own ammo? You can buy good quality bulk ammo for the 223 for quite a bit less than you can buy 22-250 ammo.

How long to you expect most of your shots to be?
If you are calling them in, the 223 will likely be all you need.

How populated is the area where you hunt?
The 223 is not nearly as noisy as the larger calibers.

I spot and stalk hunt and do some calling in the river bottom where long shots are common, so I usually carry my 22-250 there but I like to carry the 223 when hunting farm country on the hill when calling them.

1. H&R Handi-Rifle .223 Remington Single Shot 24" Bull Barrel
While it's a single shot, I absolutely love this rifle. Probably my most used coyote weapon of choice.

2. Marlin Model 917S Bolt Action Rifle, 17 HMR
Good for knocking down the small critters. I've taken a few coyote with it, but it's been my experience that they run between 30-50 yards after being hit, which I dislike. I like a more humane kill and don't often take the .17 unless I'm specifically hunting fox or bobcat. (Just my opinion)

3. Savage .243 Model 10GXP Bolt Action Rifle
I swap between the .223 and this .243 depending on the terrain and distance I'm trying to cover.

4. Marlin 30-30 Model 336 Lever Action Rifle
Since I don't own a semi rifle, this is the one that I use when I hunt small openings, logging roads, and timber with minimal under growth. Outstanding bush rifle.

5. EAA Witness Polymer .45 ACP Pistol
While not used for "intentionally" hunting coyote, I gotta include it on my list of hunting weapons as it's in the woods with me every time I go out.

I'd get a .223. I own one and a .22-250.

the .223 has no recoil or muzzle jump allowing to watch hits threw the scope. Ammo is really cheap, that cartridge is capable of dropping at a yote at 300 yards plus. My rem 700 .223 shoots 3\4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Not very populated,im in the sticks. Some shots will be 300 yards. Not a ton of stuff to shoot,so wont be burning a bunch of ammo. Im starting to look at it like...the 223 will do it, the 22 250 will do it faster, for a shade more money!

Depends on the predator, if I'm out hunting or if I'm out
working and what gun I have with me at the time.

If I'm out hunting, .223 or 12g.
If I'm working, probably a .22 maybe a .410 or 20g

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: TNCOYOTEHUNTER

Thinking of getting a .223 or 22-250?

Both are great. How far are your shots gonna be?

Chupa

Well, it obviously varies but I wanna be able to get to 200-250 accurately.

Originally Posted By: TNCOYOTEHUNTEROriginally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: TNCOYOTEHUNTER

Thinking of getting a .223 or 22-250?

Both are great. How far are your shots gonna be?

Chupa

Well, it obviously varies but I wanna be able to get to 200-250 accurately.

Meant "what is the upper end of your expected shot range?"

200-250yds both will do. Much past 250yds, the .22-250 begins to take the lead.

Chupa

Back