Ultimate Long Range AR in the AR-15 Platform?

6.5 Grendel has my vote.

I finally had a chance to run mine through the paces. I was able to connect at a 1000 yards on a 16 X 20" steel target with surprising regularity.

We were fighting a nasty mirage and a variable wind and were still able to connect on a good percentage at a 1000.

In fact I was hitting a better percentage with the lowly 6.5 Grendel than I was with my 300 mag.

P. S. I am shooting 123 grain lapua scenars with 30.3 W748.

I also vote for the 6.5 Grendel. Low recoil, awesome ballistics, crazy accurate, and you can hunt deer and antelope with it.

Originally Posted By: Alan DIt is a 30 AR Remington necked down to 6mm with a 37 degree shoulder. It hold about 44 grains of water case capacity.

How does this wildcat compare with a .243 WSSM?

243WSSM has more case capacity , the 6mm 30AR case is off the 284 but has small primer pocket like a BR case . The 243WSSM will use a lot more powder than the 6mm 30AR . I never have shot a 243WSSM but had a 223WSSM Olympic arms upper once and did not care for it . The brass is very thick on the 223 WSSM and very hard to resize the chamber on the 233 WSSM was also cut crappy and was oversized also . If I were going to buy a 243 WSSM it would be from DETECH I really see some nice work coming from him . Thanks! Mark

Alan D, funny you should say dtech. I should have mine in the next 3-4 weeks. I was just curious about the wildcat. Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for a caliber that would have a little more punch than a .223 for coyote out to 300yds. Was hoping I could build it myself. Like to tinker. The .243 WSSM is getting a little hard to come by and maybe not that desirable anymore. Your opinions. BTW- new to the site and first post.

Thank you in advance!

Welclome to the board scottkr!
lol.gif

Jack

scottkr, welcome to PM. If you reload, the wssm's are not hard to come by. If not, the factory ammo is expensive and getting harder to find. The wssm's are being kept alive in the AR platform. I'm not real sure of the factory offerings left available. I own two .243 wssm and really enjoy them. Good luck.

Take a look at the 6mmAR turbo 40. I have about 600 rounds through mine now with a variety of loads. Being a 1:8 twist, it definitely likes the heavier bullets better although I have shot some respectable groups with lighter bullets as well. So far, my favorite is a 95gr Berger hunting VLD in fron of 30 grains of either RL15 or Varget. This combo shoots sub 1/2 MOA and fits nicely in a standard magazine. I haven't chrono'd the load yet, but I figure about 2850 to 2900 fps. Should do fine on coyotes well beyond 600 yds. Should also be a good deer rifle out to at least 500 yds. With 105 vlds, it will definitely do well at 1000 yds. I have gone as long as 107gr VLDs and they still fit in the standard magazine.

Mark

The 300 ossm is a pleasure to shot. low recoil like the 243 wssm and in the ar platform its not that much recoil at all, I bet you wouldnt notice much diff over the 6.5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrThe wssm are fun and neat but why use the extra beating when there are suitable cartridges with less recoil?

I did own a browning abolt in 243 wssm and recoil was very light. In the AR platform with a comp recoil would be even less. I do not enjoy recoil, but when it gets to beyond 30 cal weighted bullets is when my perceived pain begins. I would not imagine a 7mm wssm with an integral comp. to recoil very much. When I want a beating I pull out thumper my 35 whelen with 250 gr. hotcor's.

Originally Posted By: sscoyote...or the 6.5 WSSM and the new 123 A-Max. Oughtta' get u to 600+ on coyotes well enough.

It sounds fun. What type of powder would you use varget, 4064? Where would you find load data.

Which is best on the AR 15 platform is an argument that will never be settled. The Grendel is pretty decent out to 1K. I have a Grendel with a 20" E.R. Shaw barrel non chrome lined with a 1 in 9 twist that works well out to 1K. I am using a Sierra 107 gr. MatchKing on top of 28.0 gr. of Benchmark, in Lapua brass with a Rem. 7 1/2 primer. Velocity runs 2680 fps, and is still supersonic at 1K. It is no problem to keep the shots on an 18" steel plate if the conditions are decent.

The rifle does have a float tube and a tuned Armalite national match trigger. Right now I have a Leupold 6.5 X 20 X 50 LRT scope on it. That scope is due to come off and a 4.5 X 14 X 40 Leupold will be put on it for hunting.

What really surprised me about this little rifle, is the E.R. Shaw barrel. I don't know about other barrels from Shaw, but this on is a shooter.

PaPa 260

Back