Ultimate Long Range AR in the AR-15 Platform?

BBsteel

long range being 600 and out to 1,000+ yards. Is there such a thing? No real requirements for a hunting gun or even a bench gun. Just wanting to get some discussion going on what kind of caliber you would pick for a "reach out and touch" type AR-15 for recreational type long range shooting.

Don't worry about ammo...just assume you can get it if you don't reload.

An AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor, 308, 243, the 308 being marginal at 1000 but
it's been done. 1000 yards is pushing it with the ar15 but maybe some of the
fat mags in a high twist barrel.

Last edited:
He stated the ar-15 platform, I think you'd have to look at 3 calibers. The 243wssm, 25wssm and the 6.5 Grendel. All three of these are very capable of shooting out to 1000 yds. Given the correct circumstances. I personally would vote and do shoot a 6.5 Grendel. The low recoil with the high BC makes it a pleasure to shoot. Also it helps that the modestly fast bullet stays supersonic out to around 1200 yds. I don't know much about the wssm cartridges but from what I have read they seem to be more than adequate to shoot 1000 yds consistently.

I have shot my 6.8SPC with 110gr handloads out to 675 yards with good results. I remember reading about the Army Marksman Unit pushing there 223/556's out past 1000 yards with excellent results.

You may want to research the new Olympic Arms 30 OSSM. It's getting 30-06 velocities with 150 gr. bullets out of magazine-length factory loads. I haven't seen anybody post results on handload ammo yet (it's only been out a month), but if you get a high BC bullet going at around 3000 fps, it should give everything else that fits an AR action a run for the money.
Be interesting to play with. Oly makes very accurate barrels, too, which is a huge bonus at those kind of ranges.

Last edited:
17HMR???
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Just had to throw that in!!

I think ksduckhntr picked the top three. I can't see a 6.8 making it nor a .30
with a 150. The SD's for those bullets just aren't high enough. I didn't look
at the coal's for the 243 and 257 wssm's with the 115 vld's. They should have
to be hand fed as with the 70 grain and up 223 bullets as the cases are .223
length. The 223 wssm would also make it to 1000 with 80 grain vlds.

Quote:...nor a .30 with a 150.

Oh, I wasn't saying use a 150. I'd try something like a 165 boat tail.
All I was saying was that it will shoot a factory 150 at over 3000 fps when loaded to mag length.

I think there's potential there.

I was wondering how many 6.5 Grendel recommendations there would be. Something's always attracted me to that round but just haven't gone there yet. I've currently got a Dtech .25'er but haven't really played with anything other than 75 grain Vmax.

Evil, I've read a few reports on the game stalker on AR15.com and one guy was returning his because it wouldn't group for him with FACTORY ammo. I can't wait for some hand loaders to start posting their experience with them.

How about a 6.5 Creedmore? I think that's available in AR platform. If they had 6.5x55 uppers that would most likely be my choice.

Ok, AR-15. Creedmore would need AR-10 lower. Sorry.

Last edited:
Quote:...and one guy was returning his because it wouldn't group for him with FACTORY ammo.

yeah, I think I know that guy from OA2. I also know some guys from Oly and they were getting good groups out of the prototype rifles, so I'm not sure what to think.

The guy did chrony the loads, though, and he was getting the advertised velocities. It's outperforming a .308, which is pretty amazing in that short cartridge.
.308 ain't a bad 1000 yard performer, but you can't give up accuracy and expect to be happy.
I never saw an Oly yet that wouldn't shoot good groups, so I'm not sure what's up with the guys Gamestalker. Oly will fix it, and I'll see if I can't get the factory report and post it.

Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker Quote:...and one guy was returning his because it wouldn't group for him with FACTORY ammo.

yeah, I think I know that guy from OA2. I also know some guys from Oly and they were getting good groups out of the prototype rifles, so I'm not sure what to think.

The guy did chrony the loads, though, and he was getting the advertised velocities. It's outperforming a .308, which is pretty amazing in that short cartridge.
.308 ain't a bad 1000 yard performer, but you can't give up accuracy and expect to be happy.
I never saw an Oly yet that wouldn't shoot good groups, so I'm not sure what's up with the guys Gamestalker. Oly will fix it, and I'll see if I can't get the factory report and post it.

I'd be interested in anything you find. Send me a PM if need be. The gamestalker is of interest to me. Thanks!

Yeah, will do. I asked on the other board if there was any follow-up yet on what the problem was. He sent the upper back to Chad at Oly, and I'm sure they're taking a close look at it.
I'm interested in that upper, too, but I'm sure not going to buy one without seeing some groups and success stories first.

I'll post the info on here as soon as I have the full story, for sure.

Not to beat a dead horse but I like the thought of a 30 cal in the ar platform even more so when the velocities aren't compromised like what oly has come up with. But my question is what is the recoil like? Would I have to add weight to my ar to make it feel like my Grendel? I am not recoil sensitive but I do like the more tame cartridges like the Grendel and plain ol 243.

Quote:But my question is what is the recoil like?

The Gamestalker (22" fluted barrel) is 7.13 lbs. without optics. Ever shoot an 8 lb. 30-06? Probably a decent amount of recoil, but maybe the AR buffer system makes the felt recoil less harsh than a bolt gun. The Oly guy that shot it at their factory show said it wasn't bad at all, but he's a pretty big, solid guy.
If you get the K8 Magnum upper, it's got a 24" bull barrel, and that's going to add a lot of weight, so I'd expect that feels pretty mild.

That's 3000 ft/lb. of muzzle energy, though, so it's going to have your attention.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Sorry but a 308 in an AR platform is not reliable past 800 yds. The reason for this is that 308 when shot past 800 with normal bullets starts to yaw as the velocity drops under the speed of sound. Long range 308 shooters use hotrodded bullets or most commonly 175 gr bullets should as Berger VLDs or even 185s. These long bullets do fine in bolts especially when loaded one at a time but are not suited for magazines. A Berger 185 at 1000 yds out of a 308 is very accurate though.

I have not tried long range with it but I just built a 6mm 30AR Remington. I used a Bartlien 8 twist 26" long barrel. I was hoping to use it for a long range coyote hunting but thought I would like to long range target shooting with it someday. I need to work up some loads for it when hunting season rolls around next year. I will keep everyone informed on my progress. Later ! Mark

Back