TURKISH HOGS ( WILD BOARS ) !!!!!!

Originally Posted By: LDhunterNot if you like to hunt deer too you don't.... LOL

Why is that? Because we have Red Deers all around and they live in the same environment ...

They root up all the food plots and eat all the acorns. They compete directly with the deer for food and all the rest of the game too... They're the most destructive species in the US and if we had hogs that big we'd have a much bigger problem than we already have.

I love hunting them but they're primarily a pest and that's why most states treat them as varmints and let us hunt them year around.

All that being said it WOULD be nice to hunt such huge hogs...
wink.gif

wow. just wow. things are massive. as for the cutters, when you are talking inches, your not talking about 8-10 inches from the gum line are you? you mean when the full teeth are out...? right?

Thanks

Here i another head shot ( Ear Shot) just yesterday. Check the bones in the picture.

svheIy.jpg

This is for the first time I saw a hog eating the remainings *** of another animal that had been shot at the very same spot.

*** What is the word for that ?

Originally Posted By: TheGrinchwow. just wow. things are massive. as for the cutters, when you are talking inches, your not talking about 8-10 inches from the gum line are you? you mean when the full teeth are out...? right?

Sorry, I forgot to reply you.
Yes when I talk about inches, it's the full length.

Generally 95% of the time, 1/3 of the length is at the gum line and the remaining 2/3 is inside.

gotcha, I was gonna say 8 inches out of the gum is freaking HUGE. i never measured my biggest when i had it out of the gum but I wanna say it was about 7-8. if i learn how to post pics ill slap one on here.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupFreakin' AWESOME!

I love those head shots too, nice shooting!!!

Here is another head shot for you, however if you look at the zoomed picture you will see I almost missed him , the shooting distance was 200m about 220yds.

xXarXk.jpg

J0MEYI.png

And this below hog was was shot on demand on the shoulder by the hunting guide. The reason being his hands getting too dirty trying to cut off the chin of the hog which is covered by blood due to head shot.

I shot this one from 140m (abt 154yds) on the shoulder area with 300WM , 220gr Sako Hammerhead bullet with my Bolt Action Rifle. After being shot on the shoulder, the hog ran away just like I missed him, then I shot the second one and hit him across his behind and he only fell down when I hit him again third time , this time on the stomach.

When I checked him I saw all my 3 bullets hit the hog. It took three 220gr 300WM bullets to take him down !!!

MfBk3P.jpg

Last edited:
[beeep], that is just nutz!

A guy that hunts with us here has a .300 Win Mag for hogs and I laugh at him since I am using a 5.56mm NATO shell. I do have use for a 7.62mm now and then, but I hardly ever even use my 7mm Rem Mag, much less .300 Win Mag.

However you do have some amazing swing there!

Keep up the excellent pics!!!

I poked a 275+/- pound boar near Ft Myers Fl once with a 165gr Nosler Partition out of my 300SAUM and saw the dust fly off his front shoulder and he looked at me like I had just insulted his mother and walked off... I was so amazed that I just stood there with my mouth open and let him walk. I never found him or a blood trail. I had a good rest off the hood of my truck and it was for sure a good shot...

I guess if I'd shot him under the ear it would have been a different story but there you have it.

Sometimes heavy artillery is in order... LOL

$bob$

Our people would laugh at you for using 5.56mm if you were to hunt over here. Because many use .375 or 9.3x62 over here.

Unless you aim directly at the head I guess the 5.56mm would be useless for our hogs as they are very strong and big and they have a very tough skin.

I mean you would surely kill the hogs but they would be about 200-300yds away until you find them laying somewhere. And our hogs do ATTACK and cut you if they catch you.

Last week a friend of mine was cut by a big hog on his leg while they were tracing the blood trails on the ground. The cut was 12inch deep and apparently he had micro surgery and it's unknown at the moment if his leg will gain full function and walk correctly again.

So we prefer to drop it on the ground with a bigger caliber instead of risking it...

Last edited:
Yep... And it doesn't take a 400 pound or larger European boar with tusks the size of sabres to inflict serious damage. I've hunted in Florida on and off for over 45 years and although there have always been wild hogs here as long as I can remember, they have reached near epidemic populations in the last few years.

I've heard the stories of unprovoked attacks and have seen the scars and have seen dogs that have almost been turned into hamburger by hogs that turned and fought.

Back when they used to allow the hunters with bull dogs to catch the hogs with their dogs and tie them up and take them home to fatten up on corn so they would be as good eating as any domestic hog, the hog population was kept in check.

But then FWC (the Florida Wildlife Commission) passed a law that wild hogs could not be transported alive and the hunters that used dogs quit taking them because they couldn't fatten them up at home before butchering.

It seems that the only effective method of hog population control that's ever had long term effects here in Florida is letting the guys that use hog dogs (usually of the pit bull variety) pursue and catch them. The bunny huggers (liberal anti-hunting crowd) thinks that what the dogs (and hogs) go through in this hunting process is inhumane and maybe it is but if you ever watched pit bulls chase and catch hogs you've seen just about the happiest animals in the world. You can tell they LOVE it and they seem to suffer their wounds like it's no big deal.

I also once saw a guy with a scar in the back of his leg that ran from his ankle to his butt cheeks that a 250 pound boar inflicted when he had shot a sow and was trying to get positioned for the finishing shot. The boar charged him from behind and hooked a tusk into his leg at the ankle and flipped the hunter over his back as he ripped the leg... That was a horrific looking scar and it had required over 200 stitches.

Wild hogs can be [beeep] on wheels when they get their dander up and although it doesn't happen often, they are fearsome when riled. They can move so fast that they just appear as a blur and if you think you can easily shoot a charging hog then you're either a master with a gun in close quarters with lightening reflexes or you're sadly mistaken. Plus don't forget that once their adrenaline is up they're nearly impossible to kill quickly unless you effect a brain or spine shot.

The best defense is an offense with an escape strategy. I don't want to discourage anyone from hunting hogs but you need to ALWAYS have it in the back of your mind that your luck may one day run out and you may get cut up and possibly killed by a hog. If you find yourself out of ammo or separated from your gun, remember that trees are you friend and climbing up a few feet usually gets you out of harms way effectively.

Take it from an old hog hunter... My rifle is a Browning Semi-Auto BAR in 308 Winchester (5 round magazine), and my hunting sidearm is a Glock Model 20 in 10mm with a 14 round magazine. If you have to ask why I carry so much firepower then you are either in denial or haven't read the previous posts every carefully.

Sorry... I'm rambling and this thread is about Turkish hogs not our little wimpy Florida piglets... Now.. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...
wink.gif

$bob$

Originally Posted By: LDhunter

The best defense is an offense with an escape strategy.

Take it from an old hog hunter... My rifle is a Browning Semi-Auto BAR in 308 Winchester (5 round magazine), and my hunting sidearm is a Glock Model 20 in 10mm with a 14 round magazine. If you have to ask why I carry so much firepower then you are either in denial or haven't read the previous posts every carefully.
$bob$

Sir, you are ABSOLUTELY correct. I hunt hogs in Texas with my son. I took the time to explain to him how dangerous this can actually be at times. We BOTH carry a sidearm (.38 Super for me, .45acp for him). We always have a "Plan B" if things go south. I made a poor shot on a hog several years ago, and he went into a temper tantrum that was scary to watch. He thrashed tree trunks and did his very best to figure out where we were before the two of us were able to get enough lead into him to bring him to the ground. We now plan our stands carefully and take our shots even more carefully. Even the best laid plans go awry at times.

Thanks for the info, I just read it. When you hunt for the wild boars around the villages you hear alot of stories from the villagers. I have already seen a couple of survivors without any testicles..... ouch !!

For our environment actually carrying a 12ga shot gun is the best defense. Because these tuskers come out of nowhere to attack you when you are in the bushes.

This weekend I was at another forest hunt near Black Sea area. We had 18 baiting points, we visited a few of them but due to heavy rain and heavy fog we had to cancel the hunt and will go there again in about 2 weeks. The wild boars at this region are considered one of the biggest species of Wild Boars with biggest tusks.

While stalking to the first few baiting points after some point LS64 was completely useless due to too much rain and fog. NV does not work in fog either. Also we were kind of scared because where went hunting has alot of Bears, these bears are big like the Brown Bears in America and without being able to see your surroundings, we were kind of afraid to be near Brown Bears...

We will go there again in two weeks and I hope to get the biggest wild boars of my life
smile.gif

Last edited:
When the hunter's vision is seriously impaired in a close up and personal confrontation with potentially dangerous game, then the advantage swings to the bear or boar or other toothed and nasty quarry.

I don't mind the spice of excitement and an element of danger in my hunts but I prefer the advantage being in my court and the feeling that I'm the master of the situation and top of the food chain if I do my part correctly and if my equipment doesn't fail.

Removing the hunter's ability to see is an immediate and nearly crippling experience for us the hunters.

I think I'd let the fog, the bears, and the boars have it and I'd head to safer climes if that situation came up again.
wink.gif

Good luck with your hunt and we look forward to pictures and great stories...
smile.gif

$bob$ who is firmly ensconced in his safe haven in sunny Florida.

Back