TURKISH HOGS ( WILD BOARS ) !!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI lived in Turkey from 1971 - 1975. The base rod & gun club had some boar shoulder mounts that were simply massive, especially to a skinny 10 year old kid
wink.gif

I was told the guys went to east Turkey to hunt them. At that time, anything with a rifled barrel was highly illegal. they used shotguns with slugs or archery tackle to hunt them.

Well [beeep], I was in the Air Farce and stationed in and out of there 1982-1984, never knew about any piggy hunting!
frown.gif
That is an awful shame.

Vic

Beautiful mounts, congrats, that is impressive and quite a beautiful trophy of your hunts!

Jealous!!!!

I've never seen a hog that required a .300 Win Mag until I saw yours!!!
scared.gif

Thanks buddy
smile.gif

Once I shot one from 190yds at night. He was on top of a hill and I was at the bottom.

He fell down till the bottom wounded but kept walking, we didn't have dogs with us so we didn't risk tracing him at night. In the morning we traced his blood trace for almost a mile but we still couldn't find him.

This means even .300 WM may not be strong enough if he is not hit from head or shoulders.

Most friends use .375 or 9.3x62 , but as long as you aim right at his head I think even .223 could take them down......

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVC

Well [beeep], I was in the Air Farce and stationed in and out of there 1982-1984, never knew about any piggy hunting!
frown.gif
That is an awful shame.

Vic

I heard border patrol soldiers in the east are sometimes training by shooting wild boars, bezoar ibexs and wild donkeys in the mountains with full automatic weapons and top class thermals and night visions
smile.gif

Thanks,

I know that many hunters from Germany, Ausria and Italy come over here for bow hunting the boars. I know that they get pretty close to the Wild Boar for close range shooting.

One German guy told me he had the adrenaline rush of his entire life while shooting one of them.

Sounds like a good fun bow hunting. But I never tried it myself.

Last edited:
It's so strange now is the Soccer World Cup time in Brasil and here in Europe everybody wakes up with soccer and sleeps with soccer. It's such a major event. But in the U.S. people do not seem to be interested with soccer at all.

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseIt's so strange now is the Soccer World Cup time in Brasil and here in Europe everybody wakes up with soccer and sleeps with soccer. It's such a major event. But in the U.S. people do not seem to be interested with soccer at all.

Most of the time that may not be true but all that people are talking about here is the World Cup and the streets are deserted here when a good game is on TV.

America got knocked out yesterday so I expect to hear a lot less about it today but still I was very surprised that it seemed to be so popular for awhile there.

By the way... Nice hogs you've collected... I was on a night hunt last week and one of my hunting companions shot a 250 pound boar and his tusks were pretty small. We thought he was pretty big but now I know what BIG looks like... LOL

$bob$

Well I can clearly say it is NOT a major event like NFL, NBA or Baseball in the U.S.A , and most people who watch Wold Cup are already foreigners by origin
smile.gif

Anyway the World Cup is getting very interesting nowadays as the remaining teams are all good.

Regarding the Hogs, thanks , currently I am in Vacation at Antalya.

Google Maps - Antalya

If I have the time I will attend a few night hunts here. The hogs in this area have very large tusks ( up to 30-32cm - abt 12-13 inches long) but smaller bodies.

The reason is at Antalya and it's west the soil is mostly covered with rocks and stones and the hogs in the rocky areas tend to be smaller in body size but with much much bigger tusks.

I clicked on your google maps link and it looks like a nice area but the city looks pretty primitive by our standards. LOL

Street view didn't work but still interesting.

Send more huge tusker pics... They're inspiring...
wink.gif

$bob$

Primitive ??? Hahahahaha

You probably saw the pictures of the ancient buildings at Google maps....

That's because this city has been around since 150BC in other words, a city which is older than 2000 years
smile.gif

Read it here : WIKIPEDIA ANTALYA

Otherwise this city is a big city with more than 1 million people living and about 10,5 million tourists visiting the city yearly for spending their summer holidays mainly English, Germans, Dutch and Russians and yes there are also many Americans.

Regarding the HOGS -------- I've been making some calls and apparently the hogs have invaded the crops at nights so I will have to clear them off the crops soon
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, those mounts are then hung on our walls like this:

img20130513000603.jpg

This is a friend's house. Each room has different animal species.

Last edited:
Great post. Thanks. I dont have any hogs in my area but I love hunting them. I go to Texas and hunt them. I would be very interested in hunting them in Turkey someday. How much trouble is it to bring my rifle in for a hunt?

Bringing your own rifle is not a problem at all, hunting agency takes all the permits on your behalf. You can also use a rifle of the hunting agency as well, by doing that you don't have to bring your own rifle and worry about permits etc.

Those hogs are some absolutely fine looking critters. Mean looking too.

Great hunts no doubt, great photos, I really enjoyed you post. Thanks.

WOW!!! Those are some amazing boars!!! Those are the kind of boars I day dream about. I have taken a few great boars in new Zealand and California but most of yours make mine look like piglets!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Summer Time

While enjoying my summer holidays at Antalya, found the time to do some night hunting too.

Currently all wheat has been harvested and the hogs go out in the night to eat the remainings left on the ground.

Here is what I have been up to lately.

We basically drove around the wheat fields and when we spotted the hogs we approached them by walking very quietly . My target was only males.  As a rule boars always are ALONE when feeding themselves in the open fields. The sows are always with the young ones. So if we see a pack of hogs we generally aim for the biggest one which is most alone there. Also at night it is kind of difficult to estimate the distance to the target and therefore you can not be always sure you will shoot down a big boar. I shot one small hog thinking it was a big one . 

Now that the wheat has been harvested soon we will goto chickpea fields as the hogs go crazy for this chickpea thing. But now all the villagers guard their fields with automatic shotguns and just pull the trigger as soon as they hear any noise in the field. The most high-tech "see in the dark" equipment they have is just a torch
smile.gif
So I am kind of afraid to walk into the fields. I might have to shoot long range. This week I shot one at 225m which is about 250yds. So I guess I will be safe.

4XOg3i.jpg

32PRVA.jpg

id1RYU.jpg

GmEpI0.jpg

0cgLN7.jpg

waF6j4.jpg

Z0aExW.jpg

21m0es.jpg

2OZgyU.jpg

eZlvtU.jpg

Last edited:
Back