turkey calls?

Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknOriginally Posted By: GCJason,
I agree about the hands free finisher, though a skilled friction guy makes it happen with out too much trouble.

Being hands free is secondary to realism. I thought this turned into an argument between which calls are the most realistic, not which one is the easiest to operate??

You just want to argue. Since you brought it up as a matter of point you should start your own thread and ask the question on your mind because THIS is what this thread is actually supposed to be about:

Quote:Alrighty all turkey season is coming and ive always wanted to try turkey hunting (not the type of hunting i do) and try to call a turkey.

For a spring turkey hunt what are the best calls to get? besides diaphram calls i cant figure out how to use them. those slate scratchers? or those squeaky boxes? both?

My limit is $50 and i would like to get the most bang for my buck.

AS I STATED EARLIER, I was trying to tell Noobie that he needed to not worry about ONLY using friction calls and keep practicing with diaphragms! He might not have them down yet, but neither did I at one point! You can't learn something if you never practice it!

Originally Posted By: GC
Jason,
I agree about the hands free finisher, though a skilled friction guy makes it happen with out too much trouble.

Well, here in Virginia, we don't kill 54,000. Our spring totals are around the 15,000 mark. If I had 3-4 more turkeys available per capita I'm sure there would be a little more room for error, but I'm not in Missouri. I'm on top of the Appalachain mountains in Virginia and fumbling around for slate and box calls when a turkey is at 50 yards is just not an option. He would be on the next ridge before I got that striker halfway down the pot. Makes you get better or come home hungry! I used to use slate and box when I was a teenager and just learning to hunt, but now I usually tag out in the first few days. It's amazing what a little work and practice will do to your numbers....

It's no secret that my loyalty NOW lies with the diaphragm calls, but at one time I didn't even know what a diaphragm call was. I sure didn't know what the difference was between all the different types of calls, & much like noobie I was looking for advice. Well, I got plenty of different opinions from all the experts & soon realized that I needed to put the time & dedication into learning them all & form my own opinion. I was lucky enough to have great parents that were willing to buy all the different types of calls on the market & in no time I was making some god awful sounds on them all. That first call was actually a diaphragm, & it quickly became a favorite, not because I was good with it, but because I could hear the realism in some of the sounds I was able to make. That said, I had more confidence from the start in my box, or slate/glass calls because they were easier to use straight out of the box & had more room for error. Since that time I've bought & used, & made myself & used all types of calls & have put many hours practicing into each one. I've always had the best sounds by far from diaphragms, & that's the reason why it's the only type of call I use or make anymore. (I refuse to promote or make money off of anything I wouldn't use myself regardless of whether or not it will call in an animal). My suggestion to anyone new to calling would be to do a little youtube research on the different types of calls for yourself & compare them to the real thing. The youtube clips linked earlier in this thread are good examples, & there are a lot more worth checking out. I think they speak for themselves if the person listening is doing so with unbiased ears. You can hear the friction in the friction calls, & that doesn't sound realistic to me.

I don't post on here often, but threads like this are just to good to pass up. It's amazing the people that claim to be proficient with all types of calls & then follow that statement up by saying that they think friction calls sound more realistic. That to me immediately screams lack of ability when it comes to diaphragms because as said before there is simply no comparison. The diaphragms are the most realistic by far. For a beginner, yeah, take the quick, easy, expensive route & buy a slate or box. Better yet, why not get a push button, he11 they will call in a turkey so they must sound great! Yeah right! Seriously, if you want realism, & the satisfaction of being able to use a call that most people can't, (but often claim to) then get a diaphragm. Put in the time, practice, & dedication it requires to truly run a diaphragm & you'll be in a league that only a few ever make it to. Then you can sit back read & laugh at all the people that wish they could & cover their inability to do so by saying "I prefer a friction call because they sound more realistic". Better keep selling that BS to the new guys cause the boys in the know ain't gonna buy it. AND as far as not being able to use a diaphragm goes, what's your excuse? Anything other than having a deformed mouth or no tongue says I'm lazy & have no dedication or drive!

My excuse is either

A: I do have a bit of a messed up mouth which is why I cant get them figured out (had multiple dentists tell me I need braces bad)

Or

B: I'm doing one thng wrong and that is why I can't figure them out

I have searched the Internet many times for a video that really goes over diaphrams. To this date I have not found a video worth jack [beeep] that really truly explains diaphrams and how to use them and how they are supposed to fit in your mouth. I am lazy BUT I've tried and tried and tried the most sound I've been able to produce was a high pitched squeal and that is because the whole diaphram turned and got wedged funny in my mouth. I KNOW that wasn't the way it was supposed to be done

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttThere's alot more to turkey hunting than calling.

That's right & has already been covered. Just makes sense to me that a good hunter would also want to be good at calling so that he can take advantage of both skills.

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttSo what kind of call should he get? lol

What size shot should he use???

Piece of grass for a call, & just about any size rock will work for your shot. Just chunk them really hard. I'm sure someone has killed a turkey like that before so it's got to be the best way.

Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknAS I STATED EARLIER, I was trying to tell Noobie that he needed to not worry about ONLY using friction calls and keep practicing with diaphragms! He might not have them down yet, but neither did I at one point! You can't learn something if you never practice it!

Agreed... As I mentioned, I also feel it is important to be proficient with ALL the tools in the tool box. I wouldn’t tie myself down to just any ONE call of any type – period. And I’ll wholeheartedly agree that practice makes perfect and is the best way to gain confidence in the various calls and methods of using them. We all began somewhere…
wink.gif

If you want to learn how to use a mouth diaphragm I would suggest getting something like a single or twin reed to start.They're really not that hard to learn.For me once I found out just how to get sound from it the rest pretty much fell into place.Kind of like learning to shoot aerial targets with a shotgun.Once you finally nail that first clay-Ahh-haa!!!
Good luck!

....Sometimes a change of callers is all you need to get a gobbler in the mood for love.

I've had them hang-up for several minutes, then come running when I changed callers. I use a Primos glass pot call, that I bought in 1988. It's still my go-to caller, especially when the wind is blowing, or late morning, when I need some volume to reach out and get a gobbler turned on.

I also keep a diaphragm in my mouth, just in case he stops to look for the hen, and I can't move. A soft yelp or two has been the last thing several longbeards have heard.

I started hunting turkeys in 1978 or '79. I have fooled a bunch of them over the years, and I have been made a fool of, many times, too.

I would say for a noobie this late in the game(turkey season is already here). On a limited budget. Pick up a good slat call and a good box call. Should be able to get both for around $50. Practice, practice, practice. Then after season when all the diaphram calls are on close out. Pick yourself up a couple of single or double reed and practice them in the off season. I have heard both made sound bad. But they are just another tool. Don't limit youself to just one. You wouldn't use a 12oz hammer to drive in 20 ringshanks all day long. But you wouldn't use a 22oz framing hammer to drive in finish nails on base trim. You are still ponding nails but you need a different tool to do each. I also have learned to respect elders. They can teach you something.

Back