turkey calls?

I don't know bout y'all but I've been in the woods and heard some sick sounding turkey vocals and thought what is this fool trying to sound like and be provenn wrong when a hen come walking up. I love slate calls but use box calls, diaphragms, and wing bone calls. Just depends on the situation to determine what I use.

Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknIs that right? They must have not learned to use a diaphragm properly then. Im the complete opposite, I can always tell when someone is using a friction call, or box call, or push button, or any of that other nonsense stuff they got on the market these days. Not saying some friction calls don't sound good, but they are in no way more realistic than a diaphragm.

The box has called in more turkeys than everything else combined. A raw rookie can call in a tom with a box the first time out. Every spring I hear idiots gagging on diaphragms that think they know what they're doing. Sure they work well for someone proficient, (I can still tell its a human) but a quality pot and peg wins the realism game hands down IMO.

whistle.gif

Last edited:
Your right, you can rub two sticks together and make a turkey gobble. But the realism of a diaphragm can not be beat. If you say that a friction call is more realistic than a diaphragm, then you might need to do some more practice on your calling skills. Every hunter, that i know of that uses a friction call, for the most part, cannot blow a mouth call to save his life. That being said, some people sound dang good using a slate call, but they don't have a clue how to use a diaphragm. This is towards you GC, if you say you are proficient at blowing a mouth call and using friction calls, could you put a link up of your calling skills on a mouth call and let everybody hear the difference in the calls. A properly run mouth call will outperform friction calls all day long. It doesnt matter what the turkey hears, realism is based on the human ear anyways.

Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknIt doesnt matter what the turkey hears

I guess that would depend on who you are trying to impress?

Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknrealism is based on the human ear anyways.

Aren't those the same people who demand a separate category for friction calls?
confused.gif

Im not trying to impress anyone but simply state the fact that friction calls are in no way more realistic than a diaphragm. I myself have never been in contests, so I dont demand anything to have a seperate category, I'm just saying there is a reason that they are seperated in big contests because of the fact that friction calls do not stand a chance in competing with diaphragms.

You are being a bit obtuse here. Let's look at noob's original post-

"Alrighty all turkey season is coming and ive always wanted to try turkey hunting (not the type of hunting i do) and try to call a turkey.

For a spring turkey hunt what are the best calls to get? besides diaphram calls i cant figure out how to use them. those slate scratchers? or those squeaky boxes? both?

My limit is $50 and i would like to get the most bang for my buck."

He already stated he wants to try something OTHER than a diaphragm, which is smart for a rookie caller- using something that's both simple to learn AND realistic. Nowhere in the post did I read he wanted to enter a contest or be judged on his calling. The man just wants to call in a turkey. Now, between GC and myself, we have 55 spring seasons under our collective belts and I'm willing to bet he's helped some new turkey hunters get started (I know I have) and we BOTH (along with some other posters) suggested he get a quality slate call. Why? BECAUSE IT'S EASY TO LEARN AND REALISTIC. Then you come on here and tell noob he all but HAS to learn a diaphragm to have any chance to call a bird, which is a pile of dog squeeze. Don't get me wrong, we welcome any positive contribution to PM you may make but nobody likes a "my way or highway" keyboard commando. I do have one question. Did you start out turkey calling with a diaphragm? If so, you would be in a small minority...

I dont care how many years of experience you or GC have. I know people that are in their 80s that go sit out in the woods and not ever kill squat. They have been hunting their entire lives and still do the same routine of going out, sitting around, and "praying" they kill something. I like to know that Im the best hunter in the woods and let my skills kill turkeys, not luck. That being said, I was simply trying to tell him that he needed to keep practicing and get the hang of the diaphragms, if he wanted to produce the most realistic turkey vocals. Yall, redeyeddawg and GC, are the ones jumping down my throat saying im wrong when I say diaphragms have the most realistic sounds. Thats your opinion against mine. I just go with what works for myself, and thats what I will continue to do. And did I start out using a diaphragm, No. But I quickly realized that if I wanted to be superior to the other turkey hunters in the woods that I needed to learn how to blow a mouth call, and not just blow one, but actually talk turkey, as some people say. Its not a "my way or highway", its just what I feel is best and if you dont like it, thats your opinion, just like I have my opinion that diaphragms are more realistic than friction calls.

Hey bud, I can appreciate your opinion and have no problem with you expressing your ideas and experiences as your opinion and personal experience. However, it doesn't seem like that to me... it sorta seems that nobody else has any experiences or opinions and only yours counts. You made an all encompassing blanket statement that you run off as law and be damned to any other thought or opinions. If you are questioned about it or someone disagrees, well quite simply they are wrong according to you - period. I also don't think I've "jumped down your throat" as you say. If you reread it slowly and without prejudice is that really what I did? You don't really know me, I'm quite capable of "jumping down a throat" and I promise you - that hasn't happened here. It may have seemed that to you, and I may have slightly and not really meant for it to come off like that, if so, sorry 'bout it. I still disagree with you and stand by my argument that a well tuned friction call in the woods is not only the most lifelike, but deadly on turkeys. I use a diaphragm quite often, but it isn’t the only tool in the tool box and to ignore all the others is just silly.

I'll have to agree with cuttn on the realism part. When I see people promoting friction calls as more realistic than diaphragms I think it's an obvious sign of their incompetence with the mouth diaphragm (I don't expect anyone to admit to this, but it's true none the less). Making noise on a diaphragm is not the same as knowing how to really run one. A little research into calling competitions will prove this point, & the reason that the human ear is used to judge these competitions is because animals can't talk. The reason that the different types of calls are seperated into separate divisions is because when they're classed together the diaphragms make a clean sweep of the top places. Therefore a friction division is available for the friction callers. As far as killing turkeys or anything else for that matter goes, hunter skill & knowledge of the targeted game plays the biggest role in success, not how good they are with a particular call. That's why beginners & poor sounding calls are still at times sucessful. Just because someone kills a turkey or hundreds of turkeys while using a particular call doesn't mean they sound good doing it. It simply means they're a good hunter. Point is since diaphragms were introduced they have been winning over unbiased human ears & killing piles upon piles of turkeys ever since!!--Ben Jimmy

Originally Posted By: Ben Jimmy... When I see people promoting friction calls as more realistic than diaphragms I think it's an obvious sign of their incompetence with the mouth diaphragm (I don't expect anyone to admit to this, but it's true none the less). --Ben Jimmy

Well I'll be damned... incompetent. Just gets better and better, fact after fact bestowed upon the ignorant unworthy heathen. Not opinion mind you – true facts! LOL… you just can’t make this stuff up, love the Internet.

I have no dog in this fight, but in regards to realism as mentioned in this post earlier, you aren't going to beat latex. It is the closest thing to the actual animals "voice box" as you are going to get. Also, having it in your mouth using your own "diaphragm in your chest" produces that extra realism and manipulation of the call like the real thing. I honestly can't see anyone thinking that rubbing 2 pieces of wood, wood/glass or wood/slate together could ever compete for REALISM. That being said, I'm sure there are twice as many turkeys killed with friction calls each year, hands down. The main reason for that, lack of experience and unwillingness to properly use a diaphragm. I've heard many people who will put one in there mouth 5 minutes and never make a decent sound, then toss it aside and say "that thang ain't worth crap". If I did that to every factory rifle I bought, put some cheap factory ammo in, took it to the range, shot 3 inch groups and said the gun wasn't worth a crap, I probably wouldn't have many guns in my cabinet. Instead I take the time to do things right, work up loads, shoot many times and find the best one for that particular rifle. Sure, it's not easy and it's not quick, but it's the right way to do it to achieve a top-notch rifle. A 3 inch group rifle will kill stuff all day, but not consistently. It's the same way with coyote calls. You could call up a coyote with a blade of grass in certain situations, that doesn't mean it's the way to go or the best sounding call out there.I think a lot of people get confused when the term "realism" comes up. I've used about every call out there for every animal and respect each one in its own aspect, but that doesn't mean it sounds the best. For example, all open-reed howlers have a "plastic" sound to me and nothing like a real coyote. There are plenty of real coyote sound clips on the internet, and I've yet to find one that sounds like any open-reed I've ever heard. That being said, open reeds kill a lot of yotes, but just imagine if you sounded better??? I'm always looking to improve on my calling and I think a lot of people just find a certain sound and "settle"...You can kill stuff with any call you use, but some people like the challenge of not only killing their quarry, but calling and sounding the best they possibly can. There's a lot of things associated with a hunt other than just pulling the trigger.

Another great thing about diaphragm calls is for about $7-$8 you can have a call that can do anything from a kee-kee, yelp, cluck, cutt, purr, or gobble. Most "quality" pots are $40-50+ and ranging in the $100+ range. I'll take 4-5 diaphragms in my vest any day!

I don't care what calls people use, IMO, use what works best for you. But when I hear statements saying two pieces of wood rubbed together sound better than latex, I have to disagree. Honestly, in turkey hunting, calling would only constitute only 20-25% of the actual hunt. Set-ups, camo, being able to control yourself, scouting, ability to shoot more than 25 yards all have as much or more of a factor than the actual call....

Just as stated before, it might be worth your time to take a few more hours practicing and learn the diaphragm. Not to mention its superb realism, you are "hands free" throughout the whole process. I hate fumbling around for a call while a bird is out at 50 or 60 yards. A few soft clucks on the diaphragm will put him in your lap more times that not, and you never have to move a muscle...

Good luck finding that right call out there for you, there are plenty of different one's to choose from. Hope you have a great spring season!!

Originally Posted By: GC I'm quite capable of "jumping down a throat" and I promise you - that hasn't happened here.

I dont mind taking an argument on, so shake the dust off your superman suit and get to jumping. But it will not do any good because I will always believe diaphragms are more realistic than friction calls, and it appears you will always believe the opposite.

Superman suit? Right now you are simply trolling for trouble. The one thing you've said that does make sense (which I have also said up there somewhere earlier) is that we aren't going to agree.

Jason,
I agree about the hands free finisher, though a skilled friction guy makes it happen with out too much trouble.

Here's a great example of all 3...Let's all judge and give our "honest" opinions on realism.

Grand National Friction Champion

"Sadler sounds great on all his calls, especially his cluck and purrs"

Grand National "mouth-call" Champion

"Shane Hendershot, just compare his to the real turkey clip up next compared to the friction and be your own judge. I think he's about as perfect sounding as you can get. I guess we all might have different ears for calling"

Real Turkey

"It doesn't get much better than this old gal!" If you can show me a slate that can do this, then I'm sold!

Originally Posted By: GCJason,
I agree about the hands free finisher, though a skilled friction guy makes it happen with out too much trouble.

Being hands free is secondary to realism. I thought this turned into an argument between which calls are the most realistic, not which one is the easiest to operate??

Back