turkey calls?

H.S. Strut Black widow. It's a glass pot call. Think you can find em for around 30 bucks. Best call for 30 bucks I have found. Works better than higher dollar ones I have had.

Best advice I can give is not worry with slate or box calls and learn how to use a diaphragm. You will never be able to beat the realism that a diaphragm can produce. Contact Torry Cook, "cookstaxi" and he will hook you up with what you need!! Save money and get what works!

Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknBest advice I can give is not worry with slate or box calls and learn how to use a diaphragm. You will never be able to beat the realism that a diaphragm can produce. Contact Torry Cook, "cookstaxi" and he will hook you up with what you need!! Save money and get what works!

ehhhh i agree its important to "know" how to use a mouth call but gobblers can get very picky! somedays you might get more action out of a slate! sometimes a box, sometimes a mouth call!. a box call is good for cutting wind!~. alot of hunters use a slate and when the gobbler gets closer and they have thier gun up they have a mouth call in cutting and purring.

all i can say is make sure your shotgun is patterned lol! im darn lucky my gobbler last year only came to 10 yards sneaked up behind me while i was calling! he didnt even gobble.

Last edited:
I never said a slate or box call wouldn't call a turkey up.. My point is, once you learn how to use a diaphragm, you can make every turkey sound known, so why carry a bunch of other calls around that are not needed.. It all depends on your own style of hunting!

Sorry for a really really late reply im having issues with getting email updates when a reply is posted and just barely got one..

I would love to learn how to use diaphram calls but they are either way to hard or they dont fit my mouth right because i cant get them to seal good and make noise.

Anyways I forgot to add that i went to Cabelas here last weekend and picked up 3 different Primos slate calls for around $10 for them all. Got them out of the bargain cave and they all seem to work (a guy there browsing used each one and told me they worked just fine, and said for the price i couldnt go wrong)i only have one striker but they all work so for $10 ill see what happens this year during the turkey hunt.

I completely understand where you are coming from, I remember the days of learning how to use a mouth call! But I'm telling ya, once you get the hang of it, you cannot go wrong by using a diaphragm!

Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknI never said a slate or box call wouldn't call a turkey up.. My point is, once you learn how to use a diaphragm, you can make every turkey sound known, so why carry a bunch of other calls around that are not needed.. It all depends on your own style of hunting!

i guess so but from what i have learned is that some turkeys "gobblers" can get very picky and wont answer some calls. I will alaways bring a box or slate as well as a mouth call! just like i wont hunt deer without a grunt call!.

i feel im a good turkey diaphragm mouth caller. but i have had toms hang up and not answer me, waited a few and used that slate call and had them gobbling up a storm. now that i got his attention the mouth call is in and a cluck and pur works. sometimes i gobble with the mouth call.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknGotta do what works! Cant go wrong there!

man i hope i get my shotgun pattern going or it wont matter what call i bring! might as well throw rocks lol.

just an old mossberg 500! i got a tom with a 9 1/2 in beard and a jake last year with it but i never used an extended choke until this year! its like using a whole different gun. i was advised at the time when i had just the factory full choke to not shoot past 25 yards. I had sooooo many gobblers hang up around the 40 to 45 yard mark last year it was heartbreaking, thats why i opted for an extended choke this year. Those gobblers get lazy too man lol, some didnt want to climb the hill i was on and some lose interest if they have to walk through the deadwood laying on the woods floor.

i got a couple better spots this year though!
smile.gif

Dang man, your gun needs to be able to shoot further than 25 yards. I've shot turkeys up to 60 or even a little further with my gun. The 40 to 45 yard mark is ideal for me to shoot them at!

they are all over down here when april starts. you wont see too many until breeding season and then they are everywhere!. im on the tennessee border and they are all over that way too. im fortunate to wake up in the morning and hiking a couple hundred yards into my backyard and setting up. got a couple last year there. i think i called in more hens then gobblers.

Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknBest advice I can give is not worry with slate or box calls and learn how to use a diaphragm. You will never be able to beat the realism that a diaphragm can produce. Contact Torry Cook, "cookstaxi" and he will hook you up with what you need!! Save money and get what works!

Odd... most of the time if I hear another hunter in the woods I can pick a guy out using a diaphragm right away, but a good friction call is often pretty tough to discern when used correctly.

Is that right? They must have not learned to use a diaphragm properly then. Im the complete opposite, I can always tell when someone is using a friction call, or box call, or push button, or any of that other nonsense stuff they got on the market these days. Not saying some friction calls don't sound good, but they are in no way more realistic than a diaphragm.

i think a slate call is the most realistic sound a human can make to sound like a turkey, now with that said i love diaphragm! i can talk turkey better than i can talk to my mother, but i dont use it as a first calling choice.

of course it just depends on the hunter! i love me a good box call too, the yelps sound real good on them.
the diaphragm is limited to the amount of sound it can produce while trying to sound like a real turkey.

to be honest gc is correct! i too can tell the difference between a real turkey and a mouth call. a boy used to hunt a half a mile from my turkey stand, i heard a truck leave at about 9 am and i thought it was him giving up for the day. sure enough i started sneaking where he was earlier and i heard some yelps, DID NOT sound right. cant even explain it! brought up my binos and he was waving at me to signal he was there!. The idiot did a big no no and made a turkey noise to another hunter to let him know he was there!.

Originally Posted By: CuttnThenStacknIs that right? They must have not learned to use a diaphragm properly then. Im the complete opposite, I can always tell when someone is using a friction call, or box call, or push button, or any of that other nonsense stuff they got on the market these days. Not saying some friction calls don't sound good, but they are in no way more realistic than a diaphragm.

Hummm... guess us old Missouri hillbilly's don't know squat about killing turkeys. We only kill about 45,000 - 50,000 of 'em per year so you may be right. We're on a ten year low streak but last years overall total harvest by all methods was 54,311. I can run a diaphragm as well as I can any other call but in my piddly 34 years of turkey hunting experience I'm gonna disagree about the realism of the mouth call and a properly tuned and ran friction call. My mouth calls are from Hooks, my box calls are from Roger "Dad" White and Albert Paul, my glass calls from Andy Kaiser and my slate is from Wendell Rye of Lights Out Customs. Those dogs will hunt... and been filling tags for a long time now. You do it your way and I'd continue to do it mine, versatile and capable of making full use of all the tools in the tool box.
smile.gif

Like I stated earlier in this thread, gotta do what works! But saying a slate call is more realistic than a diaphragm is wrong in my book all day long! And I never said anything about yall Missouri Hillbilly's not being able to kill turkeys, actually I never mentioned anything about a certain area, but that the person you heard must not have known how to opperate a diaphragm. Let me get in your woods that must be loaded with turkeys and see if you can pick me out between a person or a real turkey! I think you took my statement as a negative towards you, in reality, it was towards the person you heard calling. Have a great day.

Back