Thermal Units Competing with FLIR?

The point I was trying to make about the IR Patrol is that you can add a 2x lens for more versatility.

The 19mm IR Patrol with 12um core equals a 28mm lens with a 17um core. So, the IR patrol will give you better FOV than the LS-XR.

Then, you can add the 2x lens to the IR patrol and blow the LS-XR out of the water.

Last edited:
Yep, I considering selling my OTS-X 320 model (I have the 19mm,30mm,50mm extra lens) and keeping the 50mm lens. Then buying a new OTS-X 614 adding my 50mm lens to have a true 2X 50mm 640 mono. That said I keep thinking just buy a HD50A and save the extra cash as I was super impressed with the HD50A, not only at extended viewing range, but the fine detail it provided in image clarity was super impressive. The IR hunter would be super impressive with the 2X AFocal but Best route for me into a 640 2X system would be the OTS-X for me since I already have the 50mm extra lens. One thing I have noticed with any add on lens such as a AFOCAL it normally cuts performance back some vs a larger fixed lens.

Last edited:
The more lenses you add on the the less emissivity gets through.

Not to mention I never go anywhere without have InstaAlert with me.

Originally Posted By: dh223Then, you can add the 2x lens to the IR patrol and blow the LS-XR out of the water.

Until you actually look through each unit you can only make assumptions based on on specs and theory. There is nothing wrong with that because that is usually the best a consumer can do given the price of this technology. I knew about the 28mm lens equivalency on the IR Hunter but that was just a number until I had the unit in my hand and could see what it actually looked like. I own a FLIR T70, IR Hunter 19mm Mark II, owned a FLIR PS32 for several years, and have an LS-64 to use until my FLIR LS-XR comes in.

I can tell you the IR Defense 12um BAE core is VERY sharp and affords more detail than the 17um core. That being said I have not looked through the LS-XR so I can't compare anything to that unit yet. It is supposed to have a better screen, new software/firmware and DDE (Direct Digital Enhancement). I doubt that the image will be as detailed as the BAE core but there are other considerations in my opinion.

I like the FLIR because it has the features I want in a SCANNING unit. Sufficient FOV, InstAlert, and adjustable digital zoom. After using the LS-64 if you add a better screen, enhanced software and DDE then I am confident I will be happy with the unit. If I wasn't I would cancel my order and get the IR Patrol because I know exactly what the 19mm 12um core looks like.

in addition, I have used a PS32 for years and I like how the unit fits in my hand, it is pretty much bulletproof, and if I have a problem I know that one call to FLIR CS is going to get it resolved.

dh223........If you are purchasing a unit based strictly on image detail and magnification then I would say the IR Patrol is the unit you should go with.

Last edited:
Gman, you are right. With choosing thermal imager, it is like we are all a bunch of 12 year old boys guessing what sex will be like. Lots of interest. But, not much first hand knowledge.

It would be better if we could see them all side by side at the local Walmart store.

I would be very interested in your opinion of the LS64 vs the LS-XR.

Originally Posted By: dh223I would be very interested in your opinion of the LS64 vs the LS-XR.

Skypup has an LS-XR coming also and he has tons of field experience with numerous FLIR handheld units. I would watch for his comparison to be posted once he gets his unit and has a little time to check it out.

FLIR LS-XR HANDS ON

Hi, I flew to Switzerland today and picked up my new LS-XR just a few hours ago.

I am returning home tonite and will do a review later on.

It feels similar to LS-64 but with 8x zoom and the screen is much better.

It is on SW 3.40.64 and I don't know if it is the latest one yet.

Here are some very bad shots I managed to shoot with my phone. In real life it looks more crispier and better.

I post new results after I go home.

QP8c6Q.jpg

tXDYjp.jpg

sWgPm5.jpg

PSaYuQ.jpg

I am now waiting for the plane back home.

It has video out from the mini usb slot. It feels like having the video out from the top of the LS-XR is not very convenient though.

The shop where I bought the LS-XR has already made a video out dongle for the LS-XR (at the bottom of the unit) and I saw it, it is very nice but very pricey at 140 Euro like 160$ so I didn't buy it.

If you guys remember I had made my own video out dongle for the LS64 last year so I can use it if necessary.

Will send some pics soon.

SkyPup is SW 3.40.64 the latest ?

Congrats on the new imager. Since you used to have the LS64, how much nicer is the LS-XR with the new display and software?

Big difference or just marginal improvement?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: dh223Congrats on the new imager. Since you used to have the LS64, how much nicer is the LS-XR with the new display and software?

Thanks.

Hi guys , I am back home now. It is 10.30PM here so before I get to my home I went to a park near my home. I live in a city and this is the only green area close by.

My initial thoughts on LS-XR compared to LS-64 (I didnt have my LS64 with me as I sold it last week)

1) Image is definetely crispier in LS-XR in the city ( amongst the buildings )

2) When I went to the park I viewed 200-300 meters away green area with trees. I think it feels like it is similar to LS64.

3) I saw some cats and dogs and I can clearly say the LS-XR shows them more clear. These animals were like 20-30 yds away.

4) I pointed the LS-XR to a guy who was like 30yds away, I could easily and very clearly see him in detail even in 8x zoom

Initial Conclusion:
1) Image processing is better enhanced on Black Hot
2) White Hot needs some more image processing
3) Close by animals definetely show crispier than LS64
4) Far away distances show similar to LS64 but 8x is really good.
5) I was hoping more detail on far away objects but it does not seem that way
6) I think the things show better due to modified viewfinder.
7) I think Flir has to work on that digital image enhancing a little more .
8) I thinks it needs one more SW to fix these issues.

By the way, the guy who I bought the XR from, showed me some different brand (European) thermal scanners with very very clear detail. So LS-XR is for sure not that clear ....

When I have time , I will make a detailed review. But since I don't have the LS64 anymore, maybe it is best to hear from SkyPup as he will have both the devices to try.

Thanks. Very helpful.

Based on your first impressions, are you glad you sold your LS64 and bought the LS-XR?

Is the image quality on the LS-XR a big enough difference to justify the change?

P.S.

Just out of curiosity, why did you sell your LS64?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doublecheeseOriginally Posted By: dh223Congrats on the new imager. Since you used to have the LS64, how much nicer is the LS-XR with the new display and software?

Thanks.

8) I thinks it needs one more SW to fix these issues.

By the way, the guy who I bought the XR from, showed me some different brand (European) thermal scanners with very very clear detail. So LS-XR is for sure not that clear ....

When I have time , I will make a detailed review. But since I don't have the LS64 anymore, maybe it is best to hear from SkyPup as he will have both the devices to try.

----If the screen is better then the software should be an easy fix if needed.

----It is possible that the European unit had a something similar to the 12mu BAE core that IR Defense is using.

----I will have one shipped to me any day now as will Skypup. I also have a LS64 in my possession to test head to head but I
will leave it to Skypup to provide a detailed comparison since he has so much field experience with FLIR scanning units.

I was out with the LS-64 last night and I have decided that InstAlert is an invaluable aid in scanning and picking out targets. Unless something unforeseen arises when I get the LS-XR that will be the unit for me. It's all about SCANNING and FINDING the target then go to the scope for ID and the shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dh223Thanks. Very helpful.

Based on your first impressions, are you glad you sold your LS64 and bought the LS-XR?

Is the image quality on the LS-XR a big enough difference to justify the change?

P.S.

Just out of curiosity, why did you sell your LS64?

I sold my 1 1/2 year old LS64 for $5000 and bought a brand new LS-XR for 4800 Euro which is around $5400 , so I am glad I sold the LS64 for sure.

You asked me why I sold the LS64 , the reason is the last few months the battery started draining very very quickly. I used to get around 5 hours of working time, nowadays only 2 hours so I was carrying along a 6000mAH USB battery bank with me all the time. I spoke to Flir Support and they told me to send it back to USA for a battery replacement, Which I did not want to because when they send it back to me, I am sure it would get stuck at our customs and I would have to pay alot of taxes to release it.

A friend of mine decided to buy it as it is , so I guess I made a good deal.

The difference between the LS-64 and the LS-XR could be explained like this..... Imagine you have a 2013 F-150 Truck and you replace it with a 2015 F-150 truck with a small face lift and extras.

My main opinion is that due to new resolution of the viewfinder the things show much much better. I could easily identify a guys shirt, tie, pockets on his shirt, his hair etc. I saw some dogs and I could almost see his all hairs. But be aware these were all in close distances upto 30-40 yds.

I can not say the same thing on the Digital Enhancements though, it seemed to me that the Digital Enhancements needs some update. When I tried LS-XR last night at a park near my house , it felt to me that it shows similar to LS-64 when I look at far away objects (300-400yds)

Ofcourse I didn't have the chance to goto the mountains yet. But when I go I will let you know surely.

BUT, I think a HEAD to HEAD comparison would be great to understand the real differences.

By the way, look what this guy gave me ( the shop where I bought it from ) I think it is pretty useful because at night when we walk towards the bait and when the Flir is hanging down from my neck, I can clearly see the shining of the LCD screen on the ground, if I can see it, then the Coyotes, Jackals, Hogs can see it too.

New Lens Cap

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757
I was out with the LS-64 last night and I have decided that InstAlert is an invaluable aid in scanning and picking out targets. Unless something unforeseen arises when I get the LS-XR that will be the unit for me. It's all about SCANNING and FINDING the target then go to the scope for ID and the shot.

I don't really agree with this unless you WAIT for your hunt, let me explain why.

In my kind of nite hunt there is alot SCANNING involved while walking or driving.

So when you have the InstAlert on ( I keep it on LVL 1) I can easily differentiate something hotter than others (probably an animal) . imagine a stone/rock might easily look like a hog, At the same point if I were in W/Hot or B/Hot I would have to stop the car to understand what it is, but with InstAlert on I would just continue driving. When driving if the things I see do not turn into RED, then I continue driving rather than stopping and wasting time.

But in the summer time, when the rocks are warm it is a different story ofcourse
smile.gif
But still the hogs are REDDER than the rocks :))

So for me it is a valueable feature and just because of the instaAlert I continued with Flir products, otherwise I was leaning towards a PULSAR HD38S

When you said "New lens Cap" above I was expecting to see an objective lens cover. What you have there is a shuttered ocular eyepiece. The FLIR mil spec M-18 comes with that exact ocular eyepiece and I'm not a fan.

Its certainly personal preference, but I find myself having to push too hard into my eyeball to get it to open up completely, and even then, (for me at least) it cuts off the view of some of the edges. On the ocular side, I like to have a clear unobstructed view of the entire screen and all the displayed data. But again, just my preference. It certainly does (and will) work well to block any ambient light emanating from the display...and hence possibly alerting your prey/target.

I think some folks have switched that ocular eyepiece out for a different one that they like better. I think SkyPup (imagine that) has (or did at one time) do something like that. I want to say he mentioned it being an ocular eyepiece from an ACOG maybe? I don't know, cause I haven't got one to try. But if anyone gets more details on what ocular eyepieces they have found they like better I sure would like to have some advice.

Slightly off topic I know, but it just reminded me when I saw your short vid. Either way (and hugely more important) sincere congrats on obtaining the new (and seemingly VERY nice) LS-XR.

Regards,

G.
Photographer

Originally Posted By: Insomniac100When you said "New lens Cap" above I was expecting to see an objective lens cover. What you have there is a shuttered ocular eyepiece. The FLIR mil spec M-18 comes with that exact ocular eyepiece and I'm not a fan.

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I am sorry my English is not as good as you guys, so it my mistake
smile.gif
I meant a Shuttered Ocular Eyepiece

This one I have now is very soft and it opens up very easily. I think I will try it a while , if I don't like it I will put on the stock eyepiece

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseOriginally Posted By: Insomniac100When you said "New lens Cap" above I was expecting to see an objective lens cover. What you have there is a shuttered ocular eyepiece. The FLIR mil spec M-18 comes with that exact ocular eyepiece and I'm not a fan.

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I am sorry my English is not as good as you guys, so it my mistake
smile.gif
I meant a Shuttered Ocular Eyepiece

This one I have now is very soft and it opens up very easily. I think I will try it a while , if I don't like it I will put on the stock eyepiece

Hey, no factor. I would say your english is pretty dang good. Congrats again on your new LS-XR. I sometimes wish the LS series is the unit I had gotten.

Regards,

G.

Last edited:
DoubleCheese, since I wear corrected lens glasses, I remove the shuttered eyepiece and replace it with the flexible eyepiece from one of my Truijicon ACOGS without the shutter....

http://www.amazon.com/Acog-Scope-Model-R...s=acog+eyepiece

Also, since you are in Europe, is your LS-XR a 9Hz or a 30Hz? If it is 30Hz, that may be why you could not send your LS-64 back for a new battery as it is illegal to export any 30Hz thermal equipment out of the USA.

I should be getting mine from TNVC next week and am looking forward to it, but I am keeping my LS-64 for backup and other friends to use when we are out on night hunts.

Back