Thermal Units Competing with FLIR?

As far as I know, they have not even completed recoil testing on these and someone stating they handle .50 BMG recoil should not be trusted unless there is a link to such on the manufacturers website guaranteeing this.

I just called them and was told they have no recoil ratings as of yet. He said that a 5.56 should be fine and they planned on testing it on a .308 March 7th or 8th. He is also sending me information on it but it may be no more than we can obtain on the web now.

I would really be interested in the 250 helmet mounted monocular. It should fit right on my Wilcox helmet mount I currently run with my PVS14. We will see what the next few weeks brings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: Tom LI haven't pre ordered anything, that was just a quote from TNVC above my questions,
I spoke with and held the IR mark 2 scope last week at an outdoor show
was told at that time that the scope was rated for 50 cal. just curious about the rating of the monocular and if it can be helmet mounted

I am curious to know who said the scope was rated for 50 cal?

If you will look at the IR Defense website it shows you all of the helmet and weapon mount options. Google????

http://www.irdefense.com/irp-main-price.html

the rep working at the harrisburg show for Kenzies optics told me that the IR mark 2 was rated for 50 caliber. I saw the website on the mount options but they only show the 250 in all the photos of the 100's. I figured someone here would know if it could be helmet mounted.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupAs far as I know, they have not even completed recoil testing on these and someone stating they handle .50 BMG recoil should not be trusted unless there is a link to such on the manufacturers website guaranteeing this.

thanks for all your photos and knowledge you put on this site. you are the one who is getting me interested in a thermal in the first place. but I was talking about the mark 2 scope , not the new monocular that is coming out.

and I am really trying to do my homework before I purchase something. trying to make sure I don't limit myself, if the current regs in my state change and I can put a thermal on a different weapon in the future. I'd like to make sure I can. two reps at the show told me their thermal scopes were rated for 50 cal. IR and ATN thor
all of the flir reps told me 30 cal.

FIR RS scopes are rated up to .308 caliber.

FLIR GS scopes are rated up to .50 BMG

ATN and IR reps you spoke to don't even know their own products....
thumbdown.gif

Originally Posted By: ShurshotI just called them and was told they have no recoil ratings as of yet..

Yes. I purchased one of the IR Hunter scopes last week and talked to Chris at IR Defense several times. That's why I was wondering who is matter of factly saying they are 50 cal rated. I plan to run mine on a suppressed 6.8 SPC. If I was going to run one on a 308 I think I would wait for recoil tests. The same applies to the scopes and the monocular (gun Mount kit).

Keep in mind the IR Hunter scope can be used as a clip on also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: family guyOriginally Posted By: Phantom223 Same here, I've been looking for a new 640 core scanner myself. I would really like a 2X optical lens model 640 scanner, but at the Patrols price point its something I've been thinking real hard about.

I'm also looking for a 640 with 2x or 3x capabilities.

After using a FLIR LS64 the last few days I am thinking the new LS-XR unit will be the one for me. If the specs I see are correct it has an 18 degree FOV which in my opinion is a huge consideration in a scanning unit. Keep in mind that the more you increase the optical magnification the more you will decrease the FOV. Since the unit is designed for target acquisition it makes sense that a wider view at any given distance will increase your chances of finding the target. After that digital zoom should assist with ID.

The red instAlert mode and the E zoom are nice features also with the FLIR unit. With E zoom you can fine tune the zoom instead of having to go with a fixed step.....2x,4x etc. The LS-XR will digitally zoom up to 8x.

I own a lS-64 but my favorite is a MTM with a 3x lense even though it only has a 320 core it will out distance the Ls-64 both in detection and ID. I use a pvs-14 for under 200 yard scanning and the thermo for distant tree lines. Just what works were I hunt.

Originally Posted By: family guyI own a lS-64 but my favorite is a MTM with a 3x lense even though it only has a 320 core it will out distance the Ls-64 both in detection and ID. I use a pvs-14 for under 200 yard scanning and the thermo for distant tree lines. Just what works were I hunt.

That's the thing about NV..... There is no one size fits all. We all hunt in different geographical areas with different landscapes and also different critters. FOV is critical in my scenario which is close range hog hunting at night, usually in close proximity to thick cover. I would have no use for a high magnification scanning unit or scope.

I just sold my PVS 14 because it was not effective scanning for hogs in cover and dealing with IR feedback from thick foliage.

Last edited:
Everyone is going to have a different kit to handle the different terrain and environs, that is the key to your own personal setup requirements.

I just sold my Flir LS64 and I am in the market for a new scanner.

I have tried the Pulsar HD38S and although it has 384x288 pixels, what I see thru the viewfinder was definitely better than the LS64.

Now that LS-XR has a better zoom, better viewfinder and image processing, I am thinking I will go with the LS-XR, because Flir has the InstAlert feature which is very important for me.

I do alot of scanning while driving and instAlert really helps differentiate the hogs and other things that look like hogs, like rocks etc. (rocks also show red in summer but a hog is redder at night )

So while driving no need to stop the truck to evaluate unless it is red.

However if Pulsar had instAlert, i would probably choose that one.

I already started searching for the LS-XR in Europe and I found a couple of them in Germany and Switzerland and will probably end up buying one of them.

I am assuming that what we see thru LS-XR will be similar to the Flir RS64 35mm, am I wrong SkyPup ?

It will be better, I get mine in less than two weeks so will do a review of it compared to my current LS-64 for ya!

I am sorry, I think I didn't make myself clear. Let me clarify. I know it will be better than LS-64, what I meant was it would be similar to current RS64 35MM wouldn't it ?

I spoke to a Swiss seller for LS-XR today and he told me he could ship it in a week.

Probably tomorrow I will place the order. I am excited....

I want to get a good thermal camera too. It seems like the LS-XR and IR patrol are the two top contenders.

I am going to wait until both units are shipping and someone can compare them side by side. I like the fact that the IR patrol will have 2x and 3x magnifiers.

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseI am sorry, I think I didn't make myself clear. Let me clarify. I know it will be better than LS-64, what I meant was it would be similar to current RS64 35MM wouldn't it ?

I spoke to a Swiss seller for LS-XR today and he told me he could ship it in a week.

Probably tomorrow I will place the order. I am excited....

Mine ships out end of first week in March, so will know for sure then....

Originally Posted By: dh223I like the fact that the IR patrol will have 2x and 3x magnifiers.

Wow.... Most of these units have up to 8x digital zoom. If you add an optical magnifier you will have to get in your truck and drive to whatever you see when scanning.
scared.gif

Last edited:
I'm not an expert. But, my understanding is that the value of a 2x or 3x extender allows you to see farther and maintain the same resolution as you started with.

For example with a 640 core, without the extender, if you go to 2x digital, you now have 320 resolution. 4x gives you 160 resolution.

For the same 640 core, with the 2x extender, you see 2x farther. and you keep the 640 core resolution.

So, the main advantage is that you can detect farther and identify farther than with digital zoom.

Last edited:
Yes it sounds right but there is another reality.

People are generally comparing between Flir LS-XR - Pulsar Quantum HD38S - IR PATROL on this topic.

Both Pulsar and IR have their own CONS compared to LS-XR

1) Pulsar Quantum - 384x288 pixels
2) IR Patrol - 19MM lens

So it looks like Flir LS-XR is still a better choice .....

Having owned a HD19S, HD38A and using my hunting buddies new HD50A , I can tell you I perfer the HD50A to my older model LS64 for viewing past 100 yards. In fact even though I love my LS64 as a hunting big FOV scanner, I couldn't justify paying the price difference between the two models unless the new LS-XR really' really kicks up the overall performance a lot. I find with a 1X 640 scanner I'm always using 2X digital zoom to view past 100 yards which cuts the 640 clarity back near a 320 system which is why I stepped up to a 640 in the first place.

I would really like to have a true 2X optical lens 640 mono as I find 2X systems to be a perfect combo of short to longer range viewing around these parts. I also looked at the IR Patrol, but once again it's a 1X system so I would be using digital zoom all the time or have to buy the extra AFocal.

To view past 100 yds, Pulsar Quantum HD50 will surely show better than the LS64 as LS64 has 35mm lens whereas HD50 has 50mm.

I think the most correct way to measure which one is better, we must compare them on their Lens sizes i.e same sized lens comparision on each brand.

I agree with you and I hope the FLIR LS-XR will be the correct choice for me. (Today I ordered one )

The most ideal scanner would be a Pulsar with 640x512 pixels with 2x Optical + 8x digital zoom with InstAlert
smile.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back