Sow Nailed in Backyard

I spotted a a litter of pigs and sow in a field connected to the Ft Myers airport a few years ago. They looked a lot like the Hamps we raised up here in Indiana. Little or no wild boar characteristics. Pretty unsettling when you are getting on a plane thinking these critters could dart out on the runway.

Did not take long for the eagles to show up for some fresh bacon today!

Young%20Eagle.jpg

Two%20Adults.jpg

I have got to be careful using my FoxPro Prairie Blaster as the gators come up out of the pond to the caller when they hear Rabbit Distress:

Game%20Cam%20gator.jpg

How far away from Williston are you? My brother lives there and we tried hunting a WMA last February. I plan on being there in October for the start of the muzzle loader season. I live in Idaho so it is a bit of a trip. Last February, I had a bobcat come up to a few feet of me.

Nailed two hogs rooting up the front yard tonight, both head shots with the FLIR T-70 Thermal and 4X ACOG TA02LED:

Head%20Shot1.jpg

Head%20Shot2.jpg

Head%20Shot3.jpg

Got those two hogs in the front yard and dumped the offal in the backyard after we cleaned them up last night, now it's crawling with coyotes, so will have the T-70 in action again tonight!

Game%20Cam%20Coyote.jpg

Finally got to chrono my Barnes 70 grain TSX handloads this afternoon.

Using 25.0 grains of Hodgdon BLC-2 with Wolf primers in '09LC brass they average 2583 fps out of the SIG 556s with a 16" barrel and 1:7" twist:

SIG%20Chrono.jpg

Barnes%2070%20Chrono.jpg

SkyPup, you have a target-rich environment, not to mention more toys that a guy ought to be allowed to have.

Nice going.

FLIR T-70 connects with another head shot @ 175 yards, will try to get some video out of the unit this weekend....

Backyard%20Sow.jpg

I wish I could afford all that night vision gear. Two nights ago the hogs hit my yard again. Next night I got up at 2 am and they were there but no shot. Check several times last night but never saw th.

Well now, this was awesome great!

The FLIR T-70 works like a charm.

I was calling coyotes in the backyard on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster when I heard my Arabian snorting in the horse pasture, so I walked around the barn and low and behold a sounder group was rooting around about 200 yards out from me!

So, I slowly walked up on them using the FLIR LS-64 for spotting and layed down on the ground and opened up on them (about 12 or so) from abot 100-125 yards out.

Three shots and three meaty hogs meet the butcher knife tonight!

T70%20Three%20Hogs.jpg

I had the video output hooked up the the mini DVR so will edit out a video later on....

I butchered out those hogs last night and did not get to bed until 2AM, but the Bald Eagles were on the entrails before I woke up this morning, also a flock of Osceola Turkeys in the backgound....

Eagles%20landing.jpg

As promised, I am finally getting some videos out of the new FLIR T-70 Mil-Spec Thermal Weapon Scope.

You have to manually turn on the NTSC Video output from the FLIR to the mini-DVR in order to save battery life as it chews more juice while recording the thermal video camera output.

It is super easy to turn on using FLIRs JoyStick.

This is recorded on my property in my backyard, there are many very large Live Trees that are hundreds of years old and about 120 feet high, they look like giant Sequoias in the video as I was laying down on the ground to get a good shot on this sounder group. Apparently the hogs are chewing on last years acorns since we have not have a good acorn mast crop this year?

Again, my Arabian horse snorting alerted me to the presence of the hogs, that is two times he turned me on to hogs in two nights!

It was about a 1/4 mile hike out to the hogs, they were shot at a distance of about 125 yards using the FLIR T-70 Thermal.

This is a 50MB WMV file that is about 3.5 minutes long, download it and then watch it.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20Three%20Hogs/T70%20Three%20Hogs.wmv

Back