Sow Nailed in Backyard

LOL... Skypup's Soup Kitchen.... Feeding the hungry.... Today's menu includes fresh coyote barbeque, tomorrow piggy pizza....
wink.gif

That might be how you afford all the cool thermal gear... You must have formed an NPO to feed the hungry vultures and birds of prey...

Hmmmm.... Interesting idea....
wink.gif

$bob$

Great Shot, Great vid ...

I have a question though, when you look thru your eye piece, do you see the coyote as small as the one seen on the video or do you boost up the zoom on your rifle scope ?

I don't think I can shoot a coyote from 230yds with such a small zoom factor. I usually bring my riflescope zoom to 6x

Do you also use a tripod or something ?

Yes, I was looking at him from 6X day scope, so I was seeing him at 6X what the video is showing....

I was sitting down on the ground using a log as a rest for the rifle.

The SIG 716 and FLIR T-75 with 18" heavy barrel will shoot five .308 rounds into a golf ball sized group all day and all night!

The coyote never had a chance....
grin.gif

Couple more fell to the FLIR T-75 last night, including a squirrel in the barn ripping up the corn bags, will work up the video:

225lb%20Sow.jpg

Hot%20Sow.jpg

Cold%20Sow.jpg

Hot%20Squirrel.JPG

Trapped eight nice hogs this morning and took them to the University Meat Laboratory to have them processed professionally into sausage and examined for brucellosis. Huge hydraulic stainless steel table, electric winch on steel I-beam, giant walk in freezers, and professors training their agricultural students on meat quality! Sausage will be delivered next week.

Hog%20Trailer%20University.jpg

Got home beat and took a nap, then put some fresh batteries in the FLIR T-75 Long Range thermal weapon scope and headed out in the backyard in the teaming rain, five minutes later took down a nice 300 pound sow after spotting her with the FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt thermal cockpit cam. She took a handloaded 7.62mm Barnes 130 grain TSX to the head @ 125 yards, DRT.

Hot%20Sow.JPG

T75%20Sow.jpg

Hondini%20Sow.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bone breaker 73SkyPup, You like the T75 over the 70?

The T-70 covers 98% of the shots I make under 300 yards, the T-75 is a LONG RANGE scope.

If 98% of the shots you take are under 250 yards, the T-70 will suffice.

If 98% of the shots you take are over 250 yards, by all means get a T-75.

Using an Elcan day scope allows you to switch back and forth real quick and keep your distance estimation coordinated with experience, I would high recommend an Elcan with both the T-70 and T-75.

SkyPup,

I might have missed it but your UTV that you use to get around and hunt with, is it electric powered? I don't think my hogs here would be approachable that close in my pickup trucks or my ATV with gas motor.

$bob$

My UTV is a gas powered Honda Pioneer 700cc-4 seater and I have zero problems coming up on the hogs with the Red LED headlamp blaster on.

In fact, I wired all the thermal, IR night vision, and the Red LED into the auxillary battery so that they stay on when I kill the motor, only the white LED lights and headlamps are killed with the ignition switch.

I have come right up onto numerous hogs at night with no problem, even leaving the red LED on during the entire shooting episode, not a hog noticed?

I think the only thing that scares them is scent if you are upwind of them?

I agree.

Once, we drove till just 20ft to the young hogs with a 1976 model diesel tractor while they were eating the corns I left at the bait point for a big wild boar I saw on my trail cam
smile.gif

But this rule applies to regular hogs, the big boars will just run away....

Agree again, but sometimes the wind changes direction and they spot you immediately.

In my tractor experience wind was another story. Probably those hogs have been hearing the tractor noise all the time and they get used to it.

For example, next week we have holidays and will goto my wife's parents' home town. In that area now is chesnut season and all the trees are just near the roads. The hogs are used to cars by now and locals are telling me all I have to do is to get out of my SUV's sunroof and shoot while somebody else is driving
smile.gif

T-70 Eyeball shot @ 175 yards on nice boar hog tonight after spying him with the cockpit M-324.

T-70 is a nice kit!

M324%20Hog.jpg

T70%20Headshot.jpg

Flirone%20Eyeball%20Shot.jpg

Going to feed allot of folks this weekend!

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseAgree again, but sometimes the wind changes direction and they spot you immediately.

In my tractor experience wind was another story. Probably those hogs have been hearing the tractor noise all the time and they get used to it.

For example, next week we have holidays and will goto my wife's parents' home town. In that area now is chesnut season and all the trees are just near the roads. The hogs are used to cars by now and locals are telling me all I have to do is to get out of my SUV's sunroof and shoot while somebody else is driving
smile.gif

Right... In many places hogs are used to the signs of human presence and it usually doesn't constitute a threat such as on a farm, ranch, near roads with mostly non-hunter traffic or in places with human presence that don't allow hunting.

Where I hunt is on a 750 acre planted pine forest surrounded on all sides by miles and miles of similar hunting leases where the hogs are pursued 24/7 by hunters using dogs, ladder stands, permanent box stands, food plots, baited corn piles etc. and the only time they see, hear, or smell humans or thier vehicles it presents clear and imminent danger.

They're so finely tuned to any indication of human presence that they often bolt without hesitation at even the smallest indication that the fearsome hunter with his thunderstick may be nearby. It used to be that they had very little fear at night but it didn't take but a few to be shot at night and now they're quite wary at night as well, often hanging up downwind of the bait for a long time before cautiously approaching and bolting at the slightest sound or errant smell. My game cams show them running off and slowly returning several times per hour where it used to be they would come and stay for as long as it took to eat all the corn we had put out.

Successful hunting techniques can vary widely from location to location and if you don't adapt and try to understand the pressures and attractions presented to your quarry, you will come up empty handed and clueless... Of course... Luck always plays a part in it as well.
smile.gif

Was hanging out on a long powerline grade out behind the house tonight when I hear some god awful boar fight going on, it went on strong for about five minutes screaming bloody murder.

About three minutes later two large boars and a sow come charging out of the wood full speed in front of me, the two big boars made it into the brush before I could get my rifle targeted but nailed this sow in the ear at 75 yards on full run right before she disappeared in the thick brush, one shot DRT.

FLIR puts the hurt on them once again.

Sow%20Ear%20Hole.jpg

FlirOne%20Sow%20UTV.jpg

Back