Sow Nailed in Backyard

Managed to nail two nice boars tonight using the T-75 at 175 yards with the SIG 716 .308:

Two%20T75%20Hogs.JPG

Got rained out after dark tonight and was heading back in the UTV when I drove up onto a sounder group with the FLIR M-324XP Pan/Tilt thermal cockpit video on while navigating using the Larson Electronics Super RED LED blaster.

Here is a pic I took of the cockpit FLIR M-324 LCD monitor when I first saw the hogs one hundred yards out in the woods:

M324%20Hogs%20100%20yards.JPG

Turned on the FLIR LS-64 thermal so I could keep an eye on them as I turned on the T-75 and got it setup for taking live video.

Had to turn the Elcan 1.5-6X-42mm down to 1.5X so that I could target the hogs using the 1.5X as the 6X was way too powerful for a 100 yard shot.

One .308 later this 175 pound sow hit the dirt;

Pics using FlirOne at 15 feet in the dark:

Hog%20&%20SIG.JPG

Hog%20&%20SIG2.JPG

Here is the hog and rifle with the FlirOne at 30 feet in the dark:

FlirOne%20Hog%2030%20feet.JPG

Here is the hog at 50 using the FlirOne:

FlirOne%20Hog%2050%20feet.JPG

Here is the hog with the cockpit LCD from the Flir M-324 using an I-phone to take a pic, hog is 200 feet out:

Hog%20M324%20200%20ft.JPG

Here is the same pic of the hog at 200 feet through the FlirOne:

FlirOne%20Hog%20200%20feet.JPG

Got some good thermal video of the hog kill and a coyote that I almost nailed earlier so will work up the video later on...

Here is the video from the FLIR T-75 in the teaming rain once again.

I tried to line up these two hogs so the .308 Barnes 130 grain would pass through the thoracic cavity of the first hog and take down the second big hog behind him.

It looks like it did hit him but the 2nd hog got away and I was not able to recover him by myself alone in the woods last night, will keep an eye out for a wounded boar though....

FLIR T-75 in the Pouring Rain!

Go to full screen and full volume.

Enjoy......

Yes they do, wild piglet in distress works great, I also use some hand caller grunts and squeals, but the Prairie Blaster is great!

Haha! The elusive coyote takes a dive at 250 yards with the SIG 716 7.62mm and FLIR T-75! Got some great video too, will work that up!

Vis%20Coyote.jpg

Vis%20Coyote2.jpg

Thermal%20T75%20Coyote.jpg

Great shots, great hogs, great everything as usual
smile.gif

I was wondering about the FlirOne that if it could be an alternative, but the hogs do NOT seem very clear thru the eyes of FlirOne even at 50 feet . So, as far as I can understand FlirOne is only good for DETECTING the hogs rather than ID them. What do you think ?

What is your best performing Thermal ? I would love to see some pictures shot at 300-400 yds with max zoom or enough zoom... I would love to see how they show on your thermals at those distances ( Where it is NOT pouring rain , in a clear night )

In my LS64 for example , I can easily detect the hogs at 300-400 yds but I can not ID them just by looking at what I am seeing. It seems to me that the only way to ID them is to get used to how they behave and move around at such distances.

Last edited:
FLIRONE is just for detection and limited at that, you can see a hog heat signature out almost 100 yards with it but it has a tiny lens and a tiny 60X80 core so of course zero ID.

My best performing thermals are the FLIR T-70 and the FLIR RS-64-35mm, nothing gets away from me within 300 yards with them and good to detect, ID, and target.

As always, using any thermal device at night takes time and practice to become knowledgeable and experienced in its proper usage and application.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupFLIRONE is just for detection and limited at that, you can see a hog heat signature out almost 100 yards with it but it has a tiny lens and a tiny 60X80 core so of course zero ID.

My best performing thermals are the FLIR T-70 and the FLIR RS-64-35mm, nothing gets away from me within 300 yards with them and good to detect, ID, and target.

As always, using any thermal device at night takes time and practice to become knowledgeable and experienced in its proper usage and application.

SkyPup,

I read what you say very carefully because your analysis is always spot on and you write well and have lots of cool toys.
wink.gif

I keep lamenting that I don't have the ready cash to just grab an RS32 or RS64 and about 90% of what they'd be used for is simply detection of a warm body in my immediate vicinity such as under a hundred yards. After that I can switch to my Digital Night Vision equipment.

Maybe just maybe I can save myself several thousand dollars and just get the FlirOne and skip the other stuff until it gets more reasonable in pricing?

I dunno... I like to think that I hunt with the very best available gear but in this case I really can't afford it and hate to put in on plastic. It's been an expensive summer for me... buying a new camper, repairs on both trucks, 2 guns showed up on Gunbroker that I've been looking for for SEVERAL years and other unexpected expenses.

Sooooo.... I'm sure that was TMI for most of you but I'm coming back around to the FlirOne.

Maybe just maybe it would serve as a detection device and be 90% effective for me? Hmmmmmm.... I need to give this more thought...

Your thoughts?

$bob$

If you need a good cheap thermal detection device, which will improve your night hunting capabilites in detection by >10,000%, then get either a used PS-24 or preferably a more powerful 320 core used PS-32 FLIR handheld with InstaAlert.

Don't plan on using a FlirOne I-Phone 60X80 Lepton Core for hunting detection applications, they are limited at best....

Originally Posted By: SkyPupIf you need a good cheap thermal detection device, which will improve your night hunting capabilites in detection by >10,000%, then get either a used PS-24 or preferably a more powerful 320 core used PS-32 FLIR handheld with InstaAlert.

Don't plan on using a FlirOne I-Phone 60X80 Lepton Core for hunting detection applications, they are limited at best....

I have an iPhone 5s and this video has been pretty helpful in helping me decide against getting a FlirOne for game detection. You can barely detect this big guy beyond 70yds.

Here is their description....
Published on Aug 14, 2014

Subject is a 300#, 6'3" man (a big boy). Video begins with subject at 10-feet and walks out to approximately 75 yards. Coming back, a 70# yellow lab joins in the video at about 30-yards from the FLIR / iPhone.

Time is approximately midnight, temperature is about 60*F, weather is perfectly CLEAR skies with a 3/4 moon (excellent visibility) and near ZERO humidity -- i.e. a crisp, cool, clear night. The "Colorful" pallet is the one that seems to provide the most contrast for "distant" human detection. Conditions were just about ideal to determine maximum practical detection range. I'm in shorts, flip-flops, and a t-shirt to maximize thermal signature.

Maximum detection range for a 70# dog is about 50-60 yards.
--------------------------------------
Thanks for your help SkyPup. So far I've been unsuccessful in finding a used Flir but a buddy of mine has a PS32 and it's really great. If I end up getting a new Flir I'll probably go all the way to getting an RS32 35mm so it can double as a rifle scope.

It's rare I balk at the cost of hunting gadgets but I fear that I'll grab one and the prices will drop right after I get it (LOL) and as I mentioned before I'm strapped for actual cash and hate to put it on the plastic.

I guess there are a LOT of us stuck where I am right now but if you wanna play you gotta pay...
wink.gif

$bob$

Saw that video too , but the problem with that is the Palette he is using.

I have a high quality Flir T360 and even with Flir T360 the very same palette is NOT showing very well.

I think you would get much better results with Black Hot and Instalert palettes.

Skypup would be able to tell us as he has one.

Black hot certainly works better at heat contrast than Rainbow hot, but still such a tiny Lepton core simply cannot be expected to be used for long range detection or ID, you need more pixels and larger lenses for that.

FlirOne has 4,800 pixels and 4mm lens.

PS32 has 76,800 pixels and 19mm lens.

LS 64 has 327,680 pixels and 35mm lens.

Get my drift here?
blush.gif

Back