Savage B-mag range report......finally!!

Originally Posted By: dan158Could some of the accuracy issues be from ammo? When trying to pump ammo out of factory above normal rate some bad could get by without notice? Like the 17 hh ammo.

I am sure some of the issue is partly the ammo. however there are some reports of people shooting the same ammo with better results. regardless if savage decided to replace my whole rifle there must have been something wrong other than poor ammo. I've shot better groups out of an AK with wolf ammo than I have out of this b-mag. I talked to them again today and the lady advised me that the replacement rifle will be test fired and checked for accuracy before they ship it to me. We will see.

Originally Posted By: psdan000Originally Posted By: dan158Could some of the accuracy issues be from ammo? When trying to pump ammo out of factory above normal rate some bad could get by without notice? Like the 17 hh ammo.

I am sure some of the issue is partly the ammo. however there are some reports of people shooting the same ammo with better results. regardless if savage decided to replace my whole rifle there must have been something wrong other than poor ammo. I've shot better groups out of an AK with wolf ammo than I have out of this b-mag. I talked to them again today and the lady advised me that the replacement rifle will be test fired and checked for accuracy before they ship it to me. We will see.

I think the lady at savage was shooting you some BS. My first B-mag shot pretty good when I first got it but the more I shot it the worse it got. I sent it back and Monday, after 6 weeks of waiting my new one arrived. Tried it with 20 and 25 grain ammo and it's worse than the first one was. So they sent me a UPS pickup tag and told me that they would send me another. They did tell me I could upgrade to a bull barrel model for $50 and I pay the transfer fee. I'm done with the b-mag and am going to send a copy of my reciept, hopefully I can get a refund. Savage sure screwed up on the b-mag. So I doubt that they test fire them for accuracy, if they do fire them it's just to hear it go bang. Good luck with your's.

Sucks you guys got crap guns, but it was no secret they sucked from day 1.

I'm 99% sure this blunder by Savage will kill the 17 WSM all together.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeSucks you guys got crap guns, but it was no secret they sucked from day 1.

I'm 99% sure this blunder by Savage will kill the 17 WSM all together.

It's sad to say, this is likely true. Even a Ruger American in 17 WSM would have sufficed. I don't see why Winchester couldn't convince any other firearm manufacturer to produce a WSM. And I also don't see why Savage completly and totally dropped the ball on this one.

Get the Heavy barrel SS upgrade, it is much more accurate then the skinny barreled original. I have both and there is no comparison between the two. Barrel harmonics combined with the cheap stock is the issue.

Originally Posted By: sperazGet the Heavy barrel SS upgrade, it is much more accurate then the skinny barreled original. I have both and there is no comparison between the two. Barrel harmonics combined with the cheap stock is the issue.

The gentleman that my friend spoke to at Savage actually suggested the same thing to him. Telling him that the HB SS seemed to be giving much better accuracy. That ticks me off even more, if they can make one of them shoot then they should be able to improve the light barrels. YOU DON"T NEED A HEAVY BARREL TO SHOOT UNDER 2"!!!!

I think Savage has quality issues with the originals and know it but aren't willing to do what it takes to fix it.

It's sad because I've watched Remington turn from quality to crap over the years and now I'm wondering if Savage is headed the same way.

The new B Mag action for the 17 WSM is a new design made to handle the greater chamber pressure and larger diameter cartridge case than that of the 17 HMR and 22 WMR cartridges . I have not read any post that changes have ben made on the action including the bolt to correct the feeding and case extraction problems. The new stock is somewhat heaver but some are getting Boyd wood stocks to replace the plastic ones that are on the original and new model.. The heaver barrel rifle sells for around $ 400 and the original rifle sold for around $ 300. I will wait some time before getting a rifle chambered for the 17 WSM round. Should CZ or Ruger use their short center fire actions for the rim fire 17 WSM the price of the rifle would have to be more than Savages B Mag action rifle.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I have a mind to find a junked out 591 or 592 and build a 17 WSM. I think that would be sweet.

I've been considering getting a Contender or Encore barrel chambered in WSM just to play with the cartridge itself.
But then I think, why not just go with a 17 Hornet or FB, I'm not restricted to a rimfire so why handcuff myself with just a couple of hard to find factory loads.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8Originally Posted By: sperazGet the Heavy barrel SS upgrade, it is much more accurate then the skinny barreled original. I have both and there is no comparison between the two. Barrel harmonics combined with the cheap stock is the issue.

The gentleman that my friend spoke to at Savage actually suggested the same thing to him. Telling him that the HB SS seemed to be giving much better accuracy. That ticks me off even more, if they can make one of them shoot then they should be able to improve the light barrels. YOU DON"T NEED A HEAVY BARREL TO SHOOT UNDER 2"!!!!

I think Savage has quality issues with the originals and know it but aren't willing to do what it takes to fix it.

It's sad because I've watched Remington turn from quality to crap over the years and now I'm wondering if Savage is headed the same way.
Agreed, but with the current Bmag design the heavier barreled guns shoot much much better out of the box. But that's not to say ALL the HB bmags rifles will shoot well. Believe me I know about all the headaches that came with the original bmag and the poor design associated with it. Truly a shame on savages part, on the other hand where's all the ammo if the guns are not selling ? Its been slim pick'ens for quite a while.

I think the caliber is such an upgrade to rimfires and the ammo is reasonable so I feel it will stick around. I had one that shot 1 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 and had extraction issues. Seems Savage had problems with their walking varminteer too from what I read but they fixed the problems and I hear they are good now. I spoke with CZ and they are unable to make the 17wsm work on their current platform so no CZ's are in the works. I may try the bull barrel Savage model if I hear enough to convince me it shoots. However, the extraction problem still concerns me. I like Savage and also hope they don't go the way of Remington.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I have a mind to find a junked out 591 or 592 and build a 17 WSM. I think that would be sweet.

You think the bolt on a reg rim could handle that extra pressure of the 17wsm ammo?
I handled a bmag and was just turned off by the new cocking on close the bolt and like many others,the stock.

Last edited:
Well after nearly 3 months since I sent my b-mag in I finally got my replacement rifle. They sent a test target with the new one. Measured 1.008", still not great but better than the 3" groups the old one was shooting. Very disappointed in savage with this rifle and their slow turn around time.

Originally Posted By: dan158You think the bolt on a reg rim could handle that extra pressure of the 17wsm ammo?
I handled a bmag and was just turned off by the new cocking on close the bolt and like many others,the stock.

The Remington 591 and 592 rifles were made for the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum, which has pressures that match the 17WSM (33k), so there would not be an issue with pressure using either of those two rifles.

Eric
cool.gif

Back