Savage B-mag range report......finally!!

I'm sure that Savage is planning on making several different variations of the B-mag...probably make some real tack drivers too if I had to guess. I just couldn't wait for the different models to be realeased, so I pulled the trigger on this one... No pun intended.

I finally got a chance to shoot the old B-mag again, but this time I got to stretch the legs of her and see what she could do. These groups are with the 20 grain flavor.

First I shot a three shot group from 100 yards.

Next I did a group from 150 yards.

Then I shot a group from 200 yards.

I was surprised how flat shooting this lil' guy is. Winchester ballistics say that at 200 there should be a 4.1" drop where I found only a 2.5" to 3" drop. I haven't saw what anybody else had found for drop at these farther yardages.

Originally Posted By: NYyotekiller

I was surprised how flat shooting this lil' guy is. Winchester ballistics say that at 200 there should be a 4.1" drop where I found only a 2.5" to 3" drop. I haven't saw what anybody else had found for drop at these farther yardages.

I experienced the same... I figured it was a shade over 3" drop at 200, but I zeroed at 150 and I am pretty much flat across the board to 250. There is under a 2" +/- variance to 250 and I really don't shoot much past 250 very often so thats good enough for this guy!

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerI finally got a chance to shoot the old B-mag again, but this time I got to stretch the legs of her and see what she could do. These groups are with the 20 grain flavor.

First I shot a three shot group from 100 yards.

Next I did a group from 150 yards.

Then I shot a group from 200 yards.

It seems like your groups have the exact same shape at all of the distances you shot.....Do you know the order of the shots and placement? Jim

Originally Posted By: spiderman It seems like your groups have the exact same shape at all of the distances you shot.....Do you know the order of the shots and placement? Jim

The first two shot's of the group hit higher than the third shot. Not sure why that is but the barrel heats up pretty good by the third shot.

I picked up a B mag myself on Friday and got a chance to sight in and shoot a couple groups....so far it looks promising

The top target is a 5 shot group with 25 gr at 100 yds and the bottom group is a 5 shot group with 20 gr at 100 yds..I pulled one shot to the right on the 25 gr group that made it a bit ugly but overall I think it will be a shooter

When I get more time I'll shoot a few more groups at longer distances to see how it does. This is my first Accu Trigger Savage and I'm not sure how much I like it over the old school triggers...the blade feels a little funny to me...definitely isn't a Winchester Model 70 trigger.

I have the B Mag and was having some accuracy issues @ 50 & 100yds. I was getting aggravated and was tinkering with the rifle. I got trigger as low as it would go, I went through the recommended barrel break in procedures as well. Finally, out of curiosity I slid a piece of paper between barrel and stock. It stopped half way through..... I took the barreled action out of the stock and got some 100 grit sandpaper. Wrapped it around a deep well socket and went to town. After about five minutes, and a quick cleaning, I put it all back together. Rifle shot first group 3" low..... I knew immediately that this was going to work. After adjusting scope I shot about 25 more rounds with my best group being right at 3/4 inch @ 100. Prior to this, I was doing good to get 2" @100 and 1" @50. I even missed a squirrel @ 40. I hope this helps all the other BMag owners out there. It really helped me!

Must be a lot of inconsistency in the stocks/actions.....mine you could throw a barn cat between the stock and barrel...it shoots 20 gr ammo extremely well...25 gr still runs about an inch at 100 yds....just doesn't seem to like it as well as the 20 gr stuff....that runs in the .4-.8 range for 5 shot groups.

I looked at one of these 17b mag and the ammo the other day. Crap! Crap! Crap! Gave the gun back to the guy then picked up the Ruger American in 22 250, and the 250 came home with me! Like I said the 17b mag is the 5mm magnum made over! All of its CRAP!

Originally Posted By: marcoI looked at one of these 17b mag and the ammo the other day. Crap! Crap! Crap! Gave the gun back to the guy then picked up the Ruger American in 22 250, and the 250 came home with me! Like I said the 17b mag is the 5mm magnum made over! All of its CRAP!

What makes it crap? Is it the 3k fps velocity out of a rimfire? The very good accuracy? There must be some reason it's "crap"

I too have a .22/250 but in an Encore and it shoots well...the Ruger American also offers a lot for your $$. They adapted several proven things from competitors like Savage (trigger comes to mind first)....guess it's different strokes for different folks. If you're happy that is what matters, the good part is we have tons of choices out there.

I'm having a lot of fun with my B Mag. It isn't the best rifle Savage has manufactured, but it is still very accurate and cheap to shoot! A 22-250 was in the running for me, but the ammo is $1a shot. Same with 204 Ruger. I plan on keeping my BMag until a heavy barrel version comes out.

Finally got mine. Wonder why some people this the gun is crap ? With the 20gr I'm getting 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I don't consider it bad for a 'crappy' light rifle with a pencil barrel. I'm happy with it.

Picked one up today. I haven't got a scope on it yet. So no shots down range. I've gotten a little depressed reading some of the negative reviews on here. I hope its not as bad as people are making it sound? I've read a lot of good reviews to. I've been warned to give it a good cleaning pre shooting especially the bolt, maybe that'll help with the ejecting and misfiring issues?

FWC doesn't give us a lot of choices in Florida during small game season. On management areas its rimfire or shotgun and I certainly don't want to shoot a coyote beyond 40 yards with a shotgun.

But in Florida not a lot of shots over 100-150 yards, so maybe it'll be alright?

Originally Posted By: KLiving104 maybe it'll be alright?

^^^^^^ George Armstrong Custer's thoughts on June 25th, 1876 as he rode toward the Little Bighorn River.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: KLiving104 maybe it'll be alright?

^^^^^^ George Armstrong Custer's thoughts on June 25th, 1876 as he rode toward the Little Bighorn River.
Mine is more than all right.....how does yours shoot ?????

Back