Savage B-mag range report......finally!!

I finally got my Savage .17 WSM today (New Gun/New Years Eve)!

As several mentioned it is a light weight Gun,but with the added rings,scope,sling and a clip full of bullets it will get Fatter!
laugh.gif

Hopefully the 25 grain bullets will group as well as the 20 grain ones and I'll probably spend the evening getting it set up and then start sighting it in this week?

Did anyone else find they had to put extremely high rings on this gun to prevent the bolt from rubbing on the scope? The only thing that would work was putting these big fat tall AR rings on it. Not the look I hoped for but it works. I have only shot it to 25 yards as it was 0 degrees out.

Originally Posted By: GTOHunterI finally got my Savage .17 WSM today (New Gun/New Years Eve)!

As several mentioned it is a light weight Gun,but with the added rings,scope,sling and a clip full of bullets it will get Fatter!
laugh.gif

Hopefully the 25 grain bullets will group as well as the 20 grain ones and I'll probably spend the evening getting it set up and then start sighting it in this week?

What's the "clip" for?

Chupa

Originally Posted By: warrant36Did anyone else find they had to put extremely high rings on this gun to prevent the bolt from rubbing on the scope? The only thing that would work was putting these big fat tall AR rings on it. Not the look I hoped for but it works. I have only shot it to 25 yards as it was 0 degrees out.

I used medium rings on my Bmag and have plenty of clearance. What size objective scope are you running?

Mine likes the 25 grainers better. At 100 two out of three holes touching. 20 grainers grouped a little bigger, 1.25. 25s just under an inch. It is a very light gun. Maybe savage will chamber it in a nice stainless laminate Model. Just my 2¢.

A buddy of mine bought a Bmag Monday and I got to see it's capability on a coyote yesterday.
Frontal chest shot at 75 yards, it folded dead on the spot with only a few tail twists.
I was a fan in theory of the 17WSM and thought it could be a fun little 100yrd cat gun. But I have to admit, I was a little astounded that it could hit with that type of authority.

Originally Posted By: doaA buddy of mine bought a Bmag Monday and I got to see it's capability on a coyote yesterday.
Frontal chest shot at 75 yards, it folded dead on the spot with only a few tail twists.
I was a fan in theory of the 17WSM and thought it could be a fun little 100yrd cat gun. But I have to admit, I was a little astounded that it could hit with that type of authority.

Was he using the 20, or 25 grain loads?

Originally Posted By: doaA buddy of mine bought a Bmag Monday and I got to see it's capability on a coyote yesterday.

Was he using the 20 or 25gr ?

They were 20 grain. Only ones we could find.
The bullet penetrated the muscle of the chest then fragmented big time. Blood poured from the nose and mouth when drug to open spot for a picture.

I was a fan in theory of the 17WSM and thought it could be a fun little 100yrd cat gun. But I have to admit, I was a little astounded that it could hit with that type of authority. You and I both were astounded. I got two kills with mine so far. Gonna give it another go this weekend.

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerOriginally Posted By: warrant36Did anyone else find they had to put extremely high rings on this gun to prevent the bolt from rubbing on the scope? The only thing that would work was putting these big fat tall AR rings on it. Not the look I hoped for but it works. I have only shot it to 25 yards as it was 0 degrees out.

I used medium rings on my Bmag and have plenty of clearance. What size objective scope are you running? Same here, no problems with my medium Burris Z-Rings.

I used high Z rings to mount a Vortex D Back on my B Mag. The mediums allowed the bolt to slightly rub the scope.

Sorry to bump an old post, thought I'd share my bmag experience also. I picked up a bmag in early February, seems I got an earlier model serial # J1268**. Stock was pressing against the barely horribly. Took some material out of it with the dremel and got the barrel floated back to the action. I still can't get it to shoot under a 3" group. I'm using the 25 grain ammo, that's all I can find locally. Also I am having some feeding and extracting issues. Called savage this Friday and they said to send it in so we will see what they say. So far I'm pretty disappointed with it. Hopefully savage can redeem themselves on this one!

Last edited:
With the reputation of "out of the box accuracy" with Savages, why does everyone think CZ and Winchester will be more accurate? The ammo will be the same. What am I missing? I know CZ's are accurate but so are Savages.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWith the reputation of "out of the box accuracy" with Savages, why does everyone think CZ and Winchester will be more accurate? The ammo will be the same. What am I missing? I know CZ's are accurate but so are Savages.

Apparently the new Savage Bmags have been hit & miss so far. An attribute I would venture to say was caused by rushing this new model to market to be the first, therefore increasing Savage rifle sales. I would also venture a guess that more accurate/better fitted/heavier Bmags will be produced by Savage to compete with CZ and Winchester models.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWith the reputation of "out of the box accuracy" with Savages, why does everyone think CZ and Winchester will be more accurate? The ammo will be the same. What am I missing? I know CZ's are accurate but so are Savages.

Your missing the dozens of reports of people having to send them back to savage for repairs. Everything from ejection/extraction problems, feeding issues or they flat out wont shoot. These Bmag rifles do not have anything in common with any other savage rifle made, certainly not in QC, functionality or accuracy department. These issues are more than well documented on this forum as well as many others.

As far as I know CZ don't make one yet and the Winchester is still as rare as hens teeth.

Originally Posted By: psdan000Sorry to bump an old post, thought I'd share my bmag experience also. I picked up a bmag in early February, seems I got an
earlier model serial # j1268

What serial number is considered to not be an early model]

Update from savage: I called them today after almost a month with no word. they said they are replacing the rifle and it would be a "couple weeks" before I saw my replacement
thumbdown.gif
. I will update on the new rifle and how it shoots.

Originally Posted By: psdan000Update from savage: I called them today after almost a month with no word. they said they are replacing the rifle and it would be a "couple weeks" before I saw my replacement
thumbdown.gif
. I will update on the new rifle and how it shoots.

Hopefully they don't replace it with my friends rifle that they replaced for him. His first one would barely hold under 2" @ 100 and the one they replaced it with is no better.

Fortunately the LGS owner told him to bring it back and he would exchange it on a different rifle. Of course that just means some other poor sap will get stuck with it. But maybe it will be someone who thinks 2" at a 100 is acceptable.

Could some of the accuracy issues be from ammo? When trying to pump ammo out of factory above normal rate some bad could get by without notice? Like the 17 hh ammo.

Back