Run off with the 223

But, but, but......the coyotes in your neck of the woods obviously have not read the book and don't know just how inadequate the .223 is, Jeremy. Yeah, that's it.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Joking aside, that's a great weekend! Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Clarence

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Shot these last week. Factory Hornady 40 gr. VMax 223
Savage 12 FV

No way am I trying to advocate 223 is a good coyote round. I don't care what anyone else shoots, nor am I looking for any opinions on the matter.

Holy moly, I'm pretty sure my local pet shop doesn't even have that many dogs!!

26" tube really helps Im sure. Hornady shows 3800's with that load.....thats 150 faster than hodgdons hottest data
I wonder what they chrono? Those 12 fv's about require a cart though.....My 16" 6x45 is spoiling me.
Looking at Wester Powder data it looks like they list some data that fast.

Last edited:
My 20” barrel out of my LTR chronys at 3750 FPS with a 40 grain NBT with 27 grains of benchmark and shot a .3” group at two hundred yards the day I velocity tested it. It’s got another .7 grains if I remember right to max out the load per nosler manual. If you check some of my old posts you sell my groups and load testing. I think my faster twist must help with velocity. Find an efficient powder and there's not a huge gain imo after 20" with the 223.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorMy 20” barrel out of my LTR chronys at 3750 FPS with a 40 grain NBT with 27 grains of benchmark and shot a .3” group at two hundred yards the day I velocity tested it. It’s got another .7 grains if I remember right to max out the load per nosler manual. If you check some of my old posts you sell my groups and load testing. I think my faster twist must help with velocity. Find an efficient powder and there's not a huge gain imo after 20" with the 223.
Nosler data shows 3751 ft per second with 27 grains of Benchmark out of a 24 in 12 twist. A 20in should be closer 3625.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorMy 20” barrel out of my LTR chronys at 3750 FPS with a 40 grain NBT with 27 grains of benchmark and shot a .3” group at two hundred yards the day I velocity tested it. It’s got another .7 grains if I remember right to max out the load per nosler manual. If you check some of my old posts you sell my groups and load testing. I think my faster twist must help with velocity. Find an efficient powder and there's not a huge gain imo after 20" with the 223.
Nosler data shows 3751 ft per second with 27 grains of Benchmark out of a 24 in 12 twist. A 20in should be closer 3625.

Except that every barrel is different. And cheap chronographs are not necessarily exact.
I hardly ever find load data with velocities the same as I get.

Originally Posted By: 6724Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorMy 20” barrel out of my LTR chronys at 3750 FPS with a 40 grain NBT with 27 grains of benchmark and shot a .3” group at two hundred yards the day I velocity tested it. It’s got another .7 grains if I remember right to max out the load per nosler manual. If you check some of my old posts you sell my groups and load testing. I think my faster twist must help with velocity. Find an efficient powder and there's not a huge gain imo after 20" with the 223.

Except that every barrel is different. And cheap chronographs are not necessarily exact.
I hardly ever find load data with velocities the same as I get.
I find load data to be pretty accurate but I can't believe that even though some barrels are different that one is that much faster. I have experience with some poly three barrels etc but that's some pretty extreme speed difference. Pressure is speed and you can only build so much pressure.

Last edited:
Factory 1 in 9 twist with a beta. Like it’s been said every barrel is different. I know my chrony is accurate as I’ve tested it along a few others with the same loads to verify. I checked book velocities as well as was shocked at my velocity. It is what it is. I believe the faster twist increases velocity imo. Who knows, might be a hair smaller inside diameter on the barrel causing more presure. A lot of posters claimed a 1 in 9 twist won’t shoot 40 grain bullets well either and I’m shooting .3” groups at 200 yards with my rifle. All I know is it dose it and I’m not complaining. You can read all you want on published book data but until you actually go out and run it through a chrony...or several chronies to check variance your only guessing. I’ve found book data is normally close or within a 100 FPS most the time. A good example was this past fall I worked up a load with 300 grain cast powder coated, gas checked bullets in my 450 bushmaster Ruger American. The Load data program said my load should be 1750 FPS...My average actual velocity was 2075 FPS.

But your right is was 3650 FPS...I got my numbers wrong.

Here an old post along with some other loads I listed with groups on the first page...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...7268&page=2

Last edited:
I have done load development where I am 2 to 3 grains over listed max load with no pressure signs, and an extra 100 fps at the same time. I have also had pressure signs at 2 to 3 grains UNDER listed max and nowhere near theoretical velocity.
Getting more than the book says is not unusual.

Originally Posted By: Coyote-conquestThe BS is deep in this thread.....

Impossible. This is PM where only facts are given out.
laugh.gif

Even with a 22/250 with 55's doing 3600 at the muzzle, we had run offs when hit behind the diaphram between 250-300 yards.

Bullets create a temporary wound cavity, bullet weight, IMPACT velocity, and RPM all play a part in the temporary wound cavity.

6mm and 25 caliber displays a huge difference in killing effect as range and poor shot placement comes into play. 22/250 AI with 55g sierra's and 60g Bergers also massacre coyotes...Speed sets up a huge temporary wound cavity that disrupts blood vessels, arteries, and makes secondary projectiles out of ligaments, bones, and stomach contents.

Those of us that shoot a Remington 700 in 223 with a 12 twist have found a load that is unbelievable using tough brass that is not Federal:

53-55g bullet
27g of Benchmark
cci 450 primer-VERY IMPORTANT
3475 fps + depending on the barrel length, mine are sps blue and stainless, they shoot 3/8"-
Don't try this in a 9Twist or an ar, back down to 24.5g to start and the bullets shoot best just barely off the lands.

Rough barrels cause pressures to spike quickly, fast twists cause pressures to spike quickly, tight bores cause pressures to spike quickly, oversize or non uniform inside dia. bores do not shoot well at all.

The most accurate bullet in my SPS is the 55g Nosler Varm, but I have not killed a thing with it. Second is the 55g Nosler ballistic tip, this load is hammer. I worked up a load with the 55g speer 55g Bonded that shot 3/8" with the same load, just changed the seating depth...hog load.

For saving coyote hides, long ago, we developed a load with the 55g Winchester soft point with the cannalure with 26.5g of Win 748 that rarely went through coyotes, even at 40-50 yards, MV of 3050 fps out of a Rem 788. This cheap bullet that we bought by the case of 8000 went for around 4 cents each, and they worked very well on p. dogs and ground squirrels out to 200 yards getting flippers and acrobats. When using a pair of pliers, you can crush this bullet fairly easy and the larger lead tip helps the bullet to expand well. Amazing, I killed a couple of does with the load above and my last antelope buck at 470 yards while he walked up and was sniffing my wind flag that I had drove off and left, all lung shots dropping in their tracks.

For guys that really hate nippers and spinners, just get a 243 and a variety of bullets all do very well. If you want a custom, then go 22/250 AI, 22 creed, 243, 6 Rem all slow twists with zero freebore. The 22/250 AI shooting 60g Bergers(12 Twist)(3700-3800 fps) will have you picking up pieces of coyotes and shoot bob cats in half.

A 223 with a 16" barrel sporting a 5-7 lb trigger is a tough gun to shoot well, the confidence would come from a 30 round magazine.

Back