Remington Under Fire Model 700

You hit the nail on the head 2much !! could not have said it better.

Not many knew that the top 2 knuckleheads of the group pushing the article were owners of the same firearm.

Like one attorney said - If the gun in question was so "unsafe" ,why in the world would you have your family around them and using them in the field, if that were the case.

Thanks.
I tend to let real life experience trump that of what I see on TV or read on the internet. Amazing are the facts that one can conclude through real world, hands-on experience.

Sadly enough, I feel the new X-marks are junk. Unless I am mistaken, they seem to be of cast aluminum(?). Not good, if they are. Can see them breaking, physically, when pulled, in time.

I'll take a trigger milled out of steel, over anything cast, all day.

Mark my words......

Thats the 2 things Remmy has done that I dont agree with - the X-marks and the Spartan line-just plain JUNK !!

And I agree on the solid billet.

I'm a Remington man. I've had just about every model available. I'll keep buying remingtons. With that said, I've had a 700 that I bought new in either 99 or 2000. One day I decided to kill a couple of does for the freezer, and had my son beside me (he was only 4 or so at the time)... I said: son, hold your ears, I'm gonna shoot one of those deer! He held his ears and said: shootem daddy! So, I propped my rifle up and aimed...Then I flipped off the safety and the rifle went off. Scared the he11 out of me. I looked over at my son thankful he hadn't been hurt. He took his hands off his ears and said very calmly: you missed. I'ts the only time it has happened with that rifle. I've had it happen on another brand years ago, and I could make it happen everytime. It's easy to say, gun safety, gun safety...don't point the gun at anything you don't want to shoot, etc, etc,... We all know that. We've heard it and have tried to practice it our whole lives. Its just that one time when you slip that counts. And if you are a human, your gonna slip. We just have to be as carefull as possible and expect the unexpected. My heart goes out to the ones who lost their son to this bad accident.

Originally Posted By: ARDaveI'm a Remington man. I've had just about every model available. I'll keep buying remingtons. With that said, I've had a 700 that I bought new in either 99 or 2000. One day I decided to kill a couple of does for the freezer, and had my son beside me (he was only 4 or so at the time)... I said: son, hold your ears, I'm gonna shoot one of those deer! He held his ears and said: shootem daddy! So, I propped my rifle up and aimed...Then I flipped off the safety and the rifle went off. Scared the he11 out of me. I looked over at my son thankful he hadn't been hurt. He took his hands off his ears and said very calmly: you missed. I'ts the only time it has happened with that rifle. I've had it happen on another brand years ago, and I could make it happen everytime. It's easy to say, gun safety, gun safety...don't point the gun at anything you don't want to shoot, etc, etc,... We all know that. We've heard it and have tried to practice it our whole lives. Its just that one time when you slip that counts. And if you are a human, your gonna slip. We just have to be as carefull as possible and expect the unexpected. My heart goes out to the ones who lost their son to this bad accident.

Glad to hear that everything turned out well.

You broke one already, Huh? Not good. Funny, if I can see it coming, why can't the guys who build them? Never thought I would get to say "I told you so" this fast, but from the looks of them, it was bound to happen......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunYou broke one already, Huh? Not good. Funny, if I can see it coming, why can't the guys who build them? Never thought I would get to say "I told you so" this fast, but from the looks of them, it was bound to happen......

Yep! Couldn't believe it. I bedded the stock and when I was taking it back apart it was a little sticky. When I finally got the stock to pop loose it hit the trigger and broke it clean off!

2MG,

I've not seen an Rem X trigger. Sucks that they are really that bad.

Good post about the paid guys.

For enough $$ I could tell the world how great BSA scopes and the like are.
cool.gif

That really blows. Hopefully they address this issue. Last thing Remmy needs is more publicity over trigger issues.........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunNever heard of such a thing happening. I suppose it is possible. The triggers are adjusted by hand and checked before leaving. Then they put that glue crap over them.

Peple need to have their fingers clear of the trigger when they take the safety off.....

I've heard many "tales" about the issue. The only "real" info i've ever gotten was from the TV special about it where the "engineer" said that there was a piece of the trigger mechanism that broke or came loose inside the sealed unit, causing the malfunction. I still stand by my original though that only a fool trusts a mechanical safety. If the gun isnt handled improperly, nobody gets hurt....EVER

Back