Remington Under Fire Model 700

I have used FAR too may of these triggers to let some left-wing network BS story sway my opinion.

I have pieces/parts for them lying around. Just rebuilt one. Stripped it to nothing, came out breaking around 1.75 lbs. Slammed rifle on floor, beat it up pretty good. Trigger never fired. I do the "slam test" on all of them. They all are safe, it is just a matter of "where" they are safe. Some definitely go down lower than others.

Happy Birthday man......

Thanks! I just did one for a friend who was out from Vegas for thanksgiving. Took it down to 2.5 slapped the bolt closed a few times, whacked the muzzel with a plastic hammer a few times, safe. Grizz

Most will go down right to about 2.5 lbs, on average, I'd say. Some will go a tad lower.

If you hit the sear with a stone, they are even better. Some of mine have been resprung, also.....

I cant wait for Remington to file on MSNBC and all their left wing ,liberal,tree hugging, lettuce eating PRO Obama top brass,,I hope Remington makes an example of MSNBC !!

I have owned nothing but Remington's for the last 43 out of 50 years.Mostly 700's,Model 7's,Speedmasters,870's & 1187's...I have NEVER had a problem with Remmy - and have never had to send one back o the shop for anything- anybody that dont like em - send them to me - I will pay shipping ...LOLL

This is one of those dont blame me blame who built it. Iv got a 700 bdl that has had trigger worked on shot no telling how many times. Dropped kicked thrown in a truck. Only times its gone of is pulling trigger.

Quote:I cant wait for Remington to file on MSNBC and all their left wing ,liberal,tree hugging, lettuce eating PRO Obama top brass,,I hope Remington makes an example of MSNBC !!

File what? That's funny. Remington has known about the problem since day one and has even calculated how many will misfire. They chose to leave it and pay for the losses instead of the .15 cents to replace the spring.

Some people will believe anything that the Idiot box tells them..........I have a closet full of 700's all with me adj the triggers none have failed and if one did it still wouldn't kill anybody . You got to know where the muzzle is pointed.Dumb AZZ.....................

Its hard to not be suspect when the designer himself states there was a potential flaw. I think Remington has paid out like $30+ million to settle.

I do think in SOME cases there was a problem, not all though.

Originally Posted By: KAGIts hard to not be suspect when the designer himself states there was a potential flaw. I think Remington has paid out like $30+ million to settle.

I do think in SOME cases there was a problem, not all though.

All anyone has to do is read Remington's own internal memos to see that there is, at the very least, a potential for a problem.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunNever heard of such a thing happening. I suppose it is possible. The triggers are adjusted by hand and checked before leaving. Then they put that glue crap over them.

Peple need to have their fingers clear of the trigger when they take the safety off.....

Read the post in this thread from "Mike Campbell" on 12-02-2010.

There are MILLIONS of 700s out there. If the problem was truly a design flaw, as opposed to improper adjustment/operator error, we would have heard of a WHOLE LOT more "accidents" by now, as opposed to a few isolated incidents. JMO.....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThere are MILLIONS of 700s out there. If the problem was truly a design flaw, as opposed to improper adjustment/operator error, we would have heard of a WHOLE LOT more "accidents" by now, as opposed to a few isolated incidents. JMO.....

How do you feel about Mike Walker's comments concerning the issue?

I sold my last 700 back in March but not because of being scared. It was a CDL in 270 Winchester. Beautiful rifle that functioned perfectly but just lacked a little in the accuracy department. The only Remington I have left is an old 742 in 30-06 that was my Dads rifle. Must admit that it has also been trouble free and in fact my 11 year old son took his first deer with it a couple weeks ago!

Last edited:
Come on guys, this is OLD NEWS.

Remington had a Recall of about 30,000 rifles (I think thats right, might have been more-maybe it was 300,000 rifles), because of the exact claim. Many of the early Remington's would fire when a round was chambered, or when the safety was dropped and a live round was in the chamber.

Those that didn't know this, didn't know crap about Remington's.

This recall involved the early version of the rifle, but not so early as some of the originals that have a higher back (a few thousands....if you use "new" two piece bases with them, YOU WILL BEND YOUR SCOPE). Many of the older Remmy's have the action notched to except stripper clips.

I still own Remington 700's, in fact I own 6 at this time, all shoot very well, and none are for sell.

I am no expert on Remingtons but I thought the recall only allowed the bolt to be cycled with out putting the safety in the fire position.

It did nothing to correct the potential problem described by model 700 designer Mike Walker.

Remington recently took care of the problem with the new X-Mark Pro™ Trigger .

Originally Posted By: hawkeye58I am no expert on Remingtons but I thought the recall only allowed the bolt to be cycled with out putting the safety in the fire position.

It did nothing to correct the potential problem described by model 700 designer Mike Walker.

Remington recently took care of the problem with the new X-Mark Pro™ Trigger .

My understanding was the design flaw fix first suggested by the Designer Mike Walker in the 50's was used in Remingtons new X-Mark trigger.

Just because its old news doesn't mean its no news. Lots of these are still out there.

I don't believe it, we are talking about remmy here. Best thing since sliced bread. If someone finds out the truth,please fill me in.

Back