Remington Customer Service!

I'm sure each 597 owner will convince a handful of friends how great Remington really is. They better do some serious damage control if they care about the long term. Like offer full MSRP refund. I think that will be much cheaper than lost revenue in the long run due to lawsuits/boycotts.

I owned a 597 and got rid of it due to the junk mags that kept jamming up. Guess I was lucky.

Last edited:
Jeff still no call back?

Went back through the mfg. notices on this, and picked up on Magnum Reasearch site their letter to customers. The first paragraph notes that certain lots of 17hmr ammo may have a problem. Be nice if CCI would just list all the bad lots under the different brand names. That would be to easy. Jeff know anyone over in CCI?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bayou City Boyhttp://www.cci-ammunition.com/safety/safety_notice.aspx -BCB ....well said, BCB....i personally will NEVER purchase a new remington product again...any 700 action i buy will have to be a 721/722 or 725 & gladly pay my smithy to clean it up...current cust "unsat" service is a reflection of management policies....it also bothers me to no end that "Big Green" & its parent holding company have other amer firearm companys "under their wing"...

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I'm being praised about....?

Bottom Line for me: An ammo maker has told me not to shoot 17 HMR ammo in a semi-auto rifle and one maker of semi-auto rifles has done the same. And that maker wants all rifles it made off the market for safety reasons. For that information I'd be grateful.

At least someone stepped forward and did something to save me from possibly hurting myself in the future. This problem has been around since the first semi-auto rifles were built in 17 HMR, and I personally even know of one semi-auto Volquartsen that has puked over this ammo.. And no rebate was offered at the time...

If I owned one, I'd be glad someone stepped forward and told me I was doing something potentially dangerous. In this instance, however, I think I would have already figured it out on my own....and not spent any money in this direction in the first place. 17 HMR's blowing up in semi-auto rifles is not new news.... It started happening immediately...

If I had spent money in this direction, I think $200-$250 dollars won't even touch the medical bills that other wise might occur if I was still "fat, dumb and happy" about the circumstances... I'd just consider the maybe $150 at maximum that I lost in the deal after sending Remington my rifle as being a fairly cheap lesson learned from buying something that was already a problem before I bought it, and move on with that knowledge.....

Don't kill the messenger..... Look at your own personal liability and safety for a minute. One grand child's hand or face touched, even with just one little speck of skin burnt, is not worth crying about a few dollars for me... And I still have the first nickle I made years ago...

JMO - BCB

Fixed my 597 problem today. Traded it off for a CZ bolt. Won't buy another Remington product again. They also lost any sales to my boys, who still have a long time to spend money.
(By the way I got more than $200 on trade value for the gun. He must have used a different blue book)

Originally Posted By: John56Fixed my 597 problem today. Traded it off for a CZ bolt. Won't buy another Remington product again. They also lost any sales to my boys, who still have a long time to spend money.
(By the way I got more than $200 on trade value for the gun. He must have used a different blue book)

Are you still gonna buy CCI ammo even though the ammo failed in your Remington rifle....? That's the real problem and not the rifles... No matter who has made one, they have all had rifles that failed including Remington, Magnum Research, and Volquertsen

Bottom line: The cartridge never should have been sold as a viable semi-auto round... It should only be used in a decent bolt rifle.

And if you traded a "597 anything" for > $200, you need to use this gun shop dude to upgrade everything you own. Quick, before he wakes up... Get your sons there, too... He sound like a cash for clunkers dealer...

-BCB

Jeff, any word from Remington yet? Not even a simple return of your message out of common courtesy?

No? Not yet?

What does that tell us about how big green feels about the concerned members here at PredatorMasters?

I sure hope the Remington Executive Bonuses are secure.

Any of you big green believers PM me what Remington Firearm you need. I might have it, and it is for sale. Just hate to take time out of the field this time of year to set up at a Show.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKJeff, any word from Remington yet? Not even a simple return of your message out of common courtesy?

No? Not yet?

What does that tell us about how big green feels about the concerned members here at PredatorMasters?

I sure hope the Remington Executive Bonuses are secure.

Any of you big green believers PM me what Remington Firearm you need. I might have it, and it is for sale. Just hate to take time out of the field this time of year to set up at a Show.

LOL...!!! I really doubt that executive salaries are in jeopardy over a few Model 597 rifles in 17 HMR....

Is the list you have large with a few real desirables or do you just have a few in the closet that you bought at the Casper Walmart....? And are you an FFL dealer or are you just flexing your keyboard fingers about setting up at a gun show....?

I'll bite....let's see the list that might show up at a gun show near you, Flex... PM/send it to me...

Otherwise....get a grip and recognize reality... The ammo has failed in all semi-auto rifles made to shoot it no matter whose name is on it..

-BCB

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I too would never buy another new remington other then a wingmaster.

Their customer service sucks.

Stick with CZ, sako, tikka,annie.

Well even though I've had problems with Rem products and was less than happy with their reply's to 7 1/2 primers without anvils, I do have a good report for them. Just one!!
An R25 in 243 I recently had the enjoyment of firing, had a less than acceptable charging issue. It litterly took two hands to pull back the charging handle. After sighting it in, cleaning and lubing the snot out of the BCG, shooting reloads under 3/4", the owner called Rem Cus Service. The man on the line immediatly said no way, send it back. Shipping box and label were received a couple days later and off it's gone. Now the story isn't complete since it hasn't returned or been replaced, but at least they responded as one would expect to an issue from a paying customer.
In reading about the 17hmr problems, I think I'd have to side with Rem on this as an ammo issue and not a firearm issue.
Just my .03 cents worth..

Later
DF2

Droopy maybe you have read something different then I have.

Some lots of 17HMR have high pressures. Yet this only effects Semi auto's that have have the same ammo standards as set by the industry? If so then why is the ammo safe to use in bolt guns? The ammo company does not have a recall on the ammunition just remington

Seem more the ammo companies sent out the warning because the gun companies would not.

Bolt guns were and still on the market using the same ammo. Would this be acceptable on a 30-06. OK to use in a bolt but not a semi?

Skinner

Originally Posted By: Droopyfur2
In reading about the 17hmr problems, I think I'd have to side with Rem on this as an ammo issue and not a firearm issue.
Just my .03 cents worth..

Later
DF2

Which came first? The chicken or the egg... Oops! I mean the ammo or Rem's semi auto rifle for ammo that was already on the market? If Rem. sold a gun that cannot safely shoot the ammo that it is designed for... how is it the ammo manufactures fault?
Rems problem IMO (sorry Droopy... just couldn't resist being a bit of a smart a$$ on this one - don't hold it against me
smile.gif
)

I too am thinking along the lines that Remington had to Design, Build, and testfire the rifle prior to releasing it. If its true that only 1 manufacturer makes the HMR ammo, then how did the rifle pass the Quality control dept? Those are the thoughts that I have. Good luck you Guys that own one.

The only circumstances I can imagine that would absolve Remington of their obligation to market a firearm that safely shoots available ammunition is if the ammunition manufaturer changed the specifications of the ammo after the 597 was on the market.

Originally Posted By: HunterBear71The only circumstances I can imagine that would absolve Remington of their obligation to market a firearm that safely shoots available ammunition is if the ammunition manufaturer changed the specifications of the ammo after the 597 was on the market.

I asked the Service department people this question and they replied that nothing was changed by the manufacturing company. IT was also the same person who told me the ammo was made by only one company. The Service Department manager confirmed this also. He then said the $200 was the best and only thing they could offer according to the Board.

I used to be looking into the remmy AR. Notice I said used to!

Skinner

Last edited:
(sorry Droopy... just couldn't resist being a bit of a smart a$$ on this one - don't hold it against me
smile.gif
) [/quote]

Even if you HAD a beautyiful body , I wouldn't hold it against anyone!!! LOL

After farther review, I yeild to the overwelmingly opinions. Wasn't really on big Greens side anyway, just stirring the pot.

Back