Remington Customer Service!

Skinner2

A short time ago my Remington 597, 17HMR malfunction. It fired one cartridge as it was loading into the chamber. (I had just shot a ground hog). The double report was not normal nor expected and debris was flying in front of my face. When I looked down the grass was smoking under the gun. In the grass laid my blown up mag and the remaining cartridges that were in it. I called Remington and they said to send the gun in for inspection. Before I mailed it I found this recall on Remington ammo for the .17HMR. AND the .17HMR 597

http://www.remington.com/safety/17_HMR_Ammo_notice/default.asp

Titled:
PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING
AND RECALL NOTICE
17 HMR AMMUNITION AND MODEL 597® 17 HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC

I called Remington as soon as I saw this. The Service Department informed me this is NOT a gun issue yet they pulled the guns. I asked if I could get a replacement 597 in .22 mag and was told no as My gun was now used and not new. Mind you I bought the gun NEW. I'm the original owner. I also asked if they would replace with the Model 5 bolt and they said no.I then asked about rebarrel and bolt change to 22mag and was told NO! The Customer Service lady said all that Remington would do is give me a $200.00 voucher to be used on ANOTHER Remington Firearm.

The Service lady said it's an ammo issue NOT a gun Issue. I was informed all .17HRM ammo is loaded at the same factor no matter what label is on it. I asked her what the Ammo factory changed on this ammo to make it unsafe and she informed me they changed nothing. So I stated well if they changed nothing then how can it be an ammo issue. I said well if the Ammo didn't change then perhaps Remington did not do Enough R&D to discover this problem. She said No that she cannot say that!!!!!

I asked to speak with a supervisor and I did. He kept to the same story as the lady did. It’s an ammo issue and I should be glad Remington was offering me about half of the value He informed me the gun is very well made and has no issues!!!!! I asked about replacements with him and again was told no as my gun was now used.

The Supervisor told me Upper management made this decision and all they are willing to offer is listed in the notice. If I want a replacement I need to go buy another new rifle and as long as it is a Remington they will cover $200 of it IF I send my gun to them. Suggested retail on a 22mag in 597 is $460.00. The Model 5 bolt is $363.00

I accused Remington of putting the burden of the Rifle issues into the Pockets of the consumers. He said no were trying to help and the issue is with the Ammo manufacture. I suggested that perhaps Remington should make it right with THEIR customers and sue the Ammo manufacture for damages if the ammo was bad. He said no.

I told him that I had 5 other Remington’s and if this is how Remington treats customers. Then I would never own another one. He said sorry I felt that way and that is when I hung the phone up on him. (Two days ago) Took me this long to cool down and be civil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So has anybody else seen a recall on other .17 HMR ammo????

Maybe Ruger saw something and this is why they never made a .17 HMR in semi auto.

So here I sit with gun that is NOT safe to fire, and Remington will toss some bread crumbs if I buy another Remington to replace it.

Internet search still shows some .17 HMR 597's still available for $400.00

For what it's worth I was using Hornady ammo and never fired any Remington ammo through the gun And less then 3 boxes total.

Done with Remington!

Skinner

This seems to be a trend with remington. I believe they just bought out
dakota arms. Freedom Group Inc. is the parent company and I am sure
the problems stem from their buying remington. No worries, plenty of
other companies out there that stand behind their products. Sorry for your
losing out. I would contact hornady. If it's bad ammo they are liable, if it
isn't remington is libeling them.

does anyone else smell class action law suit?

The gun wont SAFELY fire industry standard ammo that NO ONE else is warning us about??? I mean really, if this ammo is dangerous-why is remington the only one ringing the warning bell?

Further more, who was the idiot lawyer/marketing guru/financial adviser that suggested giving guys a VOUCHER worth slightly less than half what they paid for the rifle a couple years ago?

Gentlemen, I believe that The Obama Aadministration has now infiltrated Remington Arms congress is now running them into the ground. LMAO.

After dealing with Remington customer service, I can only say that Big Green is no lomger the industry standard. Good luck to Remington lawyers when explaining how the company designed a rifle that doesn't safely shoot ammunition that works quite well in other manufacturers firearms.

How many other 17HMR (or 22Mag) semi auto's are there out there? I see 2, Rem 597 and Magnum Research for the 17. The same for the big brother. Oops, spoke too soon...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/docs/HMR-Notice.pdf

As for Rem being the only one with problems with ammo...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/docs/17HMRWarning.pdf

Thats from Fed and CCI

Bolts are another story. Everyone makes one.

Ruger quit making their 22 mags when? I think about the time the 17 came out. Word was it needed "re-engineering" to handle the 17. Still haven't seen either (17 or 22) (re)introduced. This tells me there is something about the 17's internal ballistics (peak pressure, pressure curve, duration, etc.) that is not condusive to a blowback style semi auto.

I have a 597 in 22mag. Love it and it shoots and functions great.

Now, what remington is doing to rectify the situation is just wrong. That is not standing behind their product. I can understand not giving a cash refund, but the $'s should be more comparable. Besides, they should be able to swap your barrel, recoil springs and a few other items to make yours a 22Mag, at your option of course.

Good luck with this.

B

17hmr ammunition was in producion when Remington introduced the 597. It is their responsibility to produce a weapon compatable with available ammunition. Or, to introduce alternative ammunition that was compatable. Common sense indicates that Remington designed and marketed a weapon unsuitable for its intended application.

Stop and think when you buy a firearm, and ask yourself "who owns the company?".....Remington is owned by stock investors named Remington is owned by Cerberus Capital Management. Investors!!!! Looking for what? money to be made......This is the same group that owns, Blue links, GMAC, Chrysler,Bushmaster Firearms, Marlin, Panther Arms........Buyer be careful......

How long before they decide the bolts and levers have issues with the ammo? Borrowed a friends CZ bolt to compare FPS with my 597. Even with it had a few split cases with the CZ, so far only one with the 597. About 1/2 the brass from the 597 showed pressure on the case head. Won't sit flat on a table. Hope I don't get left out of the class action if one is started.

I spoke to them about a week ago with the same concerns and questions and got the same answers. No to all. I did ask if they would like to speak to a lawyer about a unsafe product and got the cold shoulder. I think I may hold on to mine for the next step.

wow! good to know and I just plugged them well on their bolt guns. I don't know anything about the 597, and I think it will stay that way. My 17 HMRs are TC Contender long and short barrels- all ammo works fine in them. Please keep us posted and good luck with this. JHG

I know this is deviating from the initial post, but the reference to the Ruger 10/22 Magnum being removed from the Ruger product line got me to thinking. I have an early 10/22 Magnum with the then manufactured single extractor system. With some ammunition there were fired case extraction difficulties according to Ruger which evidently they were able to substantiate. Ruger's answer to that issue was to add a second extractor for hopefully more reliable fired case extraction. Ultimately Ruger discovered the dual extractor design was causing bolt failure (cracking) due to battering and the warranty repair that was a result did not allow the end to justify the means, subsequently it was removed from the product line. I'm certainly not an expert on this, but have been using Ruger rifles and handguns for over 30 years and was made aware of this by a very reliable source. My original 10/22 Magnum has been tuned by "Clark Custom Guns" with the addition of a heavy barrel, heavy duty extractor, action and trigger work, as well as one of their laminated sporter stocks, and so far it functions and shoots extremely well. As for Remington's customer service, I can't elaborate on it one way or another. I'll admit it would cause me some concern if I was the owner of a Model 597 however. My latest experience with Remington products has been positive thus far, as I own a 700 CDL in .35 Whelen, as well as a 700 CDL in .257 Weatherby Magnum. My experience with the .17 HMR has been limited to a CZ 453 Varmint and a Ruger Single-Six. As of this date I have had no problems with either of them and have used the CZ quite a bit.

I will never buy another new Remington, ever. They have gone downhill on quality control over the years. The customer service on this issue just reaffirms my decision. There's too many good companies out there to choose from.

I will never buy another GM or Chrysler either but that's a whole 'nother story.

I own 2 Remington rifles, an older model 700 in 6mm and a model 660 in .308. Would I buy a new remington ? No way, I'll just let Savage have my buisness.

Originally Posted By: filmitI will never buy another new Remington, ever. They have gone downhill on quality control over the years. The customer service on this issue just reaffirms my decision. There's too many good companies out there to choose from.

I will never buy another GM or Chrysler either but that's a whole 'nother story.

Dang..... I've bought beau coup Remingtons over the years and I keep getting good ones. What am I doing wrong...? I want to be able to be an internet expert too by crying about my terrible Remingtons...
cool.gif

Actually, complaining about Remingtons is far older than the internet, but folks just keep buying them in huge numbers anyway... It was the same with Winchester when they were in business as USRAC and even before.

Labor Unions and the fact you could only buy WSSM chambered Winchester rifles for a few years due to USRAC being in bed with Browning killed USRAC, not customers unhappy with quality... Granted USRAC quality fell in the last few years they were in business, but that also was unhappy union members who helped that along. FNC will do much better...

A VERY GOOD nationally known gunsmith that I know says the newer Remington 700 actions normally require less "blue printing" to use for custom rifles than the older ones did. He must be getting all the wrong actions, too...
smile.gif

And in spite of Chupa's declaration somewhere here on the forum that I got THE only bad Savage, that's not quite true either according to a gun shop owner near me. He doesn't even sell Savage rifles any longer.
smile.gif
He said in addition to a few unhappy buyers telling him he sold them a piece of junk, he got tired of selling a new one for $400 and the owner expecting to trade it back on another new one and get $375 trade-in value... And Google always finds a few unhappy Savage shoppers in about 3 minutes of looking... In spite of other's claims.

I did buy THE only Savage I'll ever buy a few years back.... Now that is a true statement...

Fire away, chupa.... I'm going fishing...
whistle.gif

-BCB

Bayou City Boy. My experience with Remington has nothing to do with being an internet expert. But being in the gun business for 20 years. Also according to Kenny Jarrett (Jarrett Rifles) at a seminar he did at SCI, rarely does he find a Remington which has been drilled and tapped square and true.

Plus I've seen Remington extractors fail at the worst possible time: While hunting Big Alaskan bears. This happened during the filming of my video HUNTING ALASKA'S COASTAL GIANTS. One gentleman's 375 failed to extract after shooting a bear. I also know of one other Alaskan guide who was mauled courtesy of a failed Remington extractor. You won't find him backing up clients with a Remington anymore. Of course there's not much dangerous game down there on the Bayou so you probably don't have much to worry about.

Remington has pissed their brand name and reputation away steadily over the past several years. Slapping their Brand on Russian junk was probably one of the worst all time marketing failures in the history of Remington.

Originally Posted By: filmit...........My experience with Remington has nothing to do with being an internet expert. But being in the gun business for 20 years............. Of course there's not much dangerous game down there on the Bayou so you probably don't have much to worry about.

Remington has pissed their brand name and reputation away steadily over the past several years. Slapping their Brand on Russian junk was probably one of the worst all time marketing failures in the history of Remington.

My experience with Remington comes from buying and hunting with various (read a bunch of...) Remington rifles for over 45 years. In that time, I have never had a problem that I couldn't handle myself with one exception.. Remington re-barreled it for me...

Excluding a short journey through the Colorado School of Trades way back, I chose to stay out of the gun business and do something a little bit more lucrative to support my family. As a result, even though there aren't any big bears, etc. down here where I choose to live, they and other big game - including some dangerous ones - are and have been in the past just a plane trip away from me. They will be in the future, too, so forget where I might live as being a big issue... Come on down sometime and I'll take you surf fishing... It's a lot more fun than hunting whitetail in Texas, IMO...

My mention of Remington has nothing in my mind to do with extractor failures, etc. which you mentioned occurring in the face of charging dangerous game. This is just me speaking my mind, but anyone with a brain beyond the size of a walnut would probably only hunt dangerous game with a positive feeding and extracting rifle. Apparently YMMV.... That's why all my larger caliber factory and custom rifles are built on Model 70 and Mauser 98 positive feeding and claw extraction actions.

However, a large number of my small caliber predator and varmint rifles are built on Remington actions. So far, and I guess I've been overly lucky, I've yet to have an extractor or ejector fail when being confronted by an angry pack of charging PD's or a rabid coyote at 50 paces... In fact, I've never had an extractor fail... Yet I do carry a couple of each cartridge face size extractors and a couple of ejectors in a pack that goes with me when PD shooting.... Just in case... Maybe this next summer?... I also always have an extra Leupold varmint scope in a bag too, just in case...

Just an FYI - the gunsmith I mentioned specializes in accurate small caliber rifles. Not dangerous game rifles... And they are highly accurate small caliber rifles.

If you want to mention the Russian junk to try to make me feel inferior or something, go ahead and charge on with broken extractors, etc.... I have no plans to buy any of it either... But in reality, what does that have to do with some very accurate varmint/predator rifles I own that don't include Russian parts anyway?

Respectfully....

-BCB

Bayou, I have no idea why you think my mentioning Remington branding Baikal's was an attempt to make you feel inferior. It wasn't. You are free to buy and shoot what you wish and I'm glad you're smart enough to not use a rem for dangerous game.

I for one have been charged by a pack of ferocious prarie dogs. That's why I like to shoot them with my 50bmg. Don't even get me started about jackrabbits.

This is mostly about Remington's inferior customer service, which it is when compared to many other gun companies. They cannot afford to lose market share, which is the only thing that will happen with fiasco's like the 597.

Originally Posted By: filmit....This is mostly about Remington's inferior customer service, which it is when compared to many other gun companies. They cannot afford to lose market share, which is the only thing that will happen with fiasco's like the 597.

The only reason I could think of for you to even be mentioning Baikal must have been to degrade something or someone. Kinda' the same with Remington extractors and dangerous game in the same thought.. Kinda' off target unless you're just trying to impress the uneducated...

This is just my opinion...but building and marketing the 597 had all the makings of a fiasco in itself. Do you suppose maybe its a Russian import....? It might be because the few I've looked at reminded me of junk. (I know it isn't imported....just a small attempt at humor filmit..)

PS: I don't buy everything Remington makes just because they have their name on it.

PSS: If you're gonna' plug your video here, you should sign on as a sponsor here...

-BCB

Back