Remington 700's - Who has a good one?

I have one M700. I bought it used for a song, a LH CDL in .223. Mounted a VXIII 4.5-14 in Talley LWs. Shot under one inch, 10 shots or sometimes more, factory stock w/ WWB. Cause I can and wanted to, I bedded/floated/tuned trigger. It's now solidly under one inch w/ said ammo and very consistent day to day. Even better w/ proper reloads. Sold my Tikka T3 to keep it...

I'll buy another. Currently looking for a .243 and it'll likely be another LH CDL.

ok. i guess ill have to get the rifle out tonight and try that b/c the sratching has got to go, when you empty the gun when deer hunting a couple of times it gets ruff on the case

New to the site here so I am giving this forum a shot.Looks like there is a ton of info out there.Well,here I go.I have a Remington 700SPS Varmint chambered in a .22-250.Shooting 55gr Hornady V-Max handloads at 3900 FPS and getting 1/4" groups at 100.That is with me and I am 16 years old.My dad can get 5/16" groups at 200 yards(3 shot groups).Varget is what we use for powder btw.

Welcome to the board PinkMist556.
grin.gif

Jack

I have several model 700's, and have had several others in the past. I had a 700 ADL in .223 I bought three or four years ago, that after I sighted it in proceeded to produce a one hole 3 shot group with the first three shots I fired as a group. This rifle would shoot half inch MOA without even trying. It was just ugly. I ended up trading it for a 700 classic in .223 that turned out to be the worst model 700 I've ever owned. It will shoot 52 grain bullets well. That's it. Anything else is 1.5 MOA. I got the 700 classic used and found someone had messed with it. The pressure point was ground out of the forearm and the action had been shimmed. I undid the alterations but it made no difference.
I currently have a 700 SPS stainless .22-250 I use as my all weather hunter, that will shoot my reloads into .5 inch. It came with the new style trigger that I adjusted myself. Stock out of the box other than that. I have a 700 BDL .243 that's 8 or 9 years old, with the J-bolt. It will shoot my handloads into .75 inch. It shoots several factory loads into an inch or so.
I've read many horror stories about Remington rifles that won't shoot. Somehow I've managed to avoid buying one myself though. As far as I'm concerned they are a good value for the money.

Coyote 6974

I will tell a little story here.

I own 2 varmint caliber savages that shoot VERY Well. I wanted a 243 so I bought a savage model 10. It shot ok. I got some handloads to shoot about 1 inch 5 shots at 100 yards. I was not very happy with this.
My other problem with all my savages is that the action is not smooth or perfected. Often when ejecting an empty brass it will just drop it right in the action. I put up with this on the varmint calibers since I am on a bench out in the field with sandbags shooting at varmints.
On a hunting rifle. I intend to use the 243 for deer and coyotes I cannot tolerate this action.

I was in the store one day and there was a deal on Remington 700 in 243. What the heck I bought it. It is a black synthetic stocked ADL.

Well I shot some of my handloads in the Remington and it shoots 3 shots in the same hole and 2 slightly outside for a total group size of 3/4 for 5 shots at 100. And the action picks up and spits out the brass without a hesitation of any sort.

I got rid of the savage and kept the Remington.
I would not hesitate to buy another Remington. I do not dislike savages but prefer the action of the Remington better especially when a follow up shot is necessary.

Just my 1 cent. Your mileage may vary.

"Heck, men can't even agree on blond, brunette, or red head. That's why womem buy hair dye..."

Now that's funny.

just bought a sps-v in .308 to be the foundation for a precision bolt gun. dont think you can go wrong with rem700s these days. they are not the most accurate out of the box but are pretty easy to work on yourself and you can do almost anything with them because of the large aftermarket support available.

I have a 700 CDL SF chambered for the 257 Weatherby. Bought it this last summer. Shoots wonderfully. Haven't spent much time at the range due to ammo cost but my dad's getting a reloader so I'll be able to shoot more.

Sighting it in took 4 shots. Moved to 200 yards and fired two "check shots" and they were approximately .25" apart and ~1 inch above the bull's eye.

First REM I've owned and I'm thinking about getting a 22-250 in the 700 Varmint SF. Anyone know much about this line of 700's?

My brother had an older Cdl in .222 that would shoot 3 shots into one ragged whole with hornady factoryammo. Maybe the best shooting gun I've ever shot. I on the ither hand had a bad experience with a sps stainless and wouldn't recommend buying another. (more info on that gun in The 700 With Long throats post) But I have sighted in other 700's for friends that were for sure shooters. There are lemons in every brand I suppose.

I've bought a few new Remington rifles in the past couple of years. They included: Model 700 22-250 LVSF, Model 700 223 Tactical, Model 7 243, Model 7 223 and a couple others. No problems with ANY of them at all. MI VHNTR

Not interested in getting into a huge confrontation here; but, MOST of my rifles are Rem 700's, 722's and one Model 7.
Rem 721's and 722's preceeded the 700 LA's and SA's.
My first centerfire rifle was a Rem 722 in 300 Savage, and, I have no reason to to buy any other brand, but I do, just for the fun of shooting different make rifles. But, MY FIRST choice will always be Rem's. I own a bunch of Mauser action rifles too, all custom jobs.
Here's a couple of pix and why I choose Rem's...
Both of these rifles are Rem 722's, and nothing was done to them save cleaning them well, and adjusting the trigger pulls to 2 1/2 pounds, no spring changes. The barrels are fully bedded all the way, and no attempt was made to free float them. Other than what I stated, these rifles are exactly the way they left the factory 55-60 years ago. These are collector grade rifles, with metal and wood in the high 90%. Groups are at 100 yards, 3 shots, using a high power scope, with bencrest bench equipment.

DSCF0315.jpg

DSCF0201.jpg

Back