Remington 700's - Who has a good one?

RyanD

I see the posts of people having problems with newer Remington 700's, but I am curious how many people on here have bought a Remington 700 in recent years that shot MOA or better out of the box (or with slight adjustments, i.e. trigger job).

Please respond if you have purchased a Remmy 700 since 2003 in any caliber that you had no problems with.

Personally, I have only purchased (1) 700 since 2003, a .22-250 and it has performed flawlessly and is very accurate.

Thanks!

i have a LTR in 308 that's a tack driver and a heck of a deer rifle! i just recently bought a sps varmint in 243, the stocks a piece of junk but i am getting an H&S for christmas so that fixes that... but it shoots good just starting loads, i still haven't worked up the perfect load. i figured why waste the ammo untill i get my H&S

1. Stainless .243 SPS 1st load tried was 5 shots 1/2 inch 100 yards using Varget and 65 grain vmaxs. Next easily worked up a load was using 100 grain Hornady innerlocks and IMR 4350.

2. BDL .17 Rem. It shoots every thing into approximately 1 inch 5 shot 100 yard groups. Getting it better has required a lot of load development bedding floating and a trigger job. Worst group has been 1.5" 5 shots at 100 yards; that group had mixed primers using the same load.

I have four model 700's.

I believe just two were purchased after '03.

My .243 ADL synthetic shoots right into about an inch. Put this way, when my son was 10 years old he shot a 1 1/4 inch group with it. Remington must be doing something right.

My 7 mm mag I never really shot for groups so I couldn't say for sure. I used a 25 yard sight in, and then made sure it was minute of rock at 150 yards to prepare for my deer hunt. But it wouldn't surprise me if it shot close to an inch or better.

My two older guns? Both in .308 and will consistently put the old M118 match round into 3/4 inch.

Bought my 700 SPS Varmint in .223 last year. A dime covers my shots at 100yds. Once I got my handloads worked out right, that is....

I bought my sps varmint in ruger 204 in early 2009. the gun shoots great. The trigger breaks like glass but would prefer a lighter pull. I wish it was the new externally adjustable type.The stocks are nothing special.I let my friends shoot this gun at the range and they walk away feeling like pro shooters.

243 CDL - shoots around 1.5" with factory loads. I have only tried 2 so far. That is my deer rifle and that is plenty good enough. I haven't had time to work up reloads yet.

17 Fireball SPS - shoots better than 0.5" with factory loads. My reloads will easily break 1.0" but I can't match the factory loads.

I have no complaints.

5 here, two in the last year. All shoot GREAT. The last two shoot about 1/2"....sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

Savage does some great things, but my next rifle will be a Remmy 700. Hope I don't have to wait too long.

Go to a rifle match, look down the firing line. Yep, you'll see quite a few differant rifles there, but by far the largest percentage of factory production rifles will have Remington actions.

Says something, don't it?

Good Luck with your choice, I think you've already made it.

I'm not sure of the original purchase date, since I bought it used from another member on this site,,, but it does have the newer trigger and the original owner took exceptional care of the rifle...

I have some loads that are shooting a little over one inch at 200yds and other than a slight and very occasional feeding problem with the box magazine that I haven't worked out yet,, it's about perfect...

Mine is a .223, 1/12 twist SPS Tactical...

Since 2003 I have bought 2 Remington 700 LVSF'S one in 204 and 1 in 17 REM both shoot less than 1" MOA @ 100yds I have also bought a Remington 788 in 243 that shoots awesome I have also bought 2 R15 VTR's in 223 that both shoot less than 1MOA I have a Remington 700 BDL in 25-06 that I bought probably around that time frame that I would not even consider getting rid of so I guess that makes me a Remington fan would'nt you say?

Just picked up a new 700 VSSF II in 223 Monday evening. I cleaned the bore real good, mounted my 10x Mark 4 M1 and loaded up some ammo. Went to the range today and after zeroing shot two 5 shot 1 inch groups. Then it calmed down {or maybe I did!!} and shot two 1/4 inch 5 shot groups back to back. Needless to say I am very happy at this point. I haven't had time to stick a borescope in the barrel yet. One thing I have noticed with my 700's is that they were shipped with an extremely dirty barrel. My last one had to be cleaned out with JB Bore Cleaner but once clean and with a new trigger and Tubb speedlock kit it was a tackdriver too. Not so lucky with my 700 CDL Fireball...it had the $hittiest muzzle crown I have seen and so did my nephews 264 Sendero. Both muzzles looked like some idiot used a wood countersink and hand drill with no pilot!! Good thing I have a lathe.

I have a .17 Remmy that will punch dimes at 100 yards with handloads. It is one of a special run of 26" stainless barrel on a blue action mounted on a laminated stock. I found it on Varminter.com from a gent in Kentucky. He said that they made 200 of them around 2005. I guess I believe him because I have never seen another of them for sale or otherwise. I have no plans on ever being rid of this gun.

A .243 VLS here. Picked it up a couple years ago.

She's now sitting, nicely bedded, in a B&C stock. The trigger is a bit heavy but breaks crisp and clean. Other than the trigger, which will be worked on soon, and a couple other mods, she's now a TRUE sub MOA tack driver!! I'm currently refining a new l-o-n-g range load for this rifle using 107gr A-Max's...

Sorry, I won't post the work up targets. No desires to listen to the nay sayers. All I'll say is that it's FREAKISHLY ACCURATE!!

sps are grate and vtr are not to bad i make 4 guns a mounth on remmy new products and I give a my guys sub moa on thees with right load and 1-2 moa on new tube jobs right out of the box with a little trigger work sub moa with the right load you cant beat a remmy for the money

Last edited:
SPS Tactical in .308 here. Its the best gun purchase Ive ever made. Getting my bolt handle threaded atm and it should be done by this weekend for my yote hunting escapades. Took my second yote ever with it. Great gun, beautiful. Im in love.

This last spring I picked up a 700 Buckmaster in .243 when G.I. Joe's closed down. Paid just over $300 bucks. I always do my own glass bedding and trigger adjusting and this one shoots the Speer 70 grain TNT's right at 1/2". Wasn't so lucky with the SPSV in .17 FB. Shoots great now but I had to have a lot of work done on it to get there.

700 ADL Varmint in 308 from Dick's Sporting Goods. Bought it about 3-4 weeks ago. Out of the box with the crappy "Remington" scope it shot .69 moa at 100yds with 150gr Remington Core Lokt.

I have bought 3 Model 700's and 2 Model 7's since 2003. One 700 was the Buckmaster in 243. I thought it was about the most accurate factory rifle, out of the box, that I've ever shot....until I bought an LVSF in 243. The LVSF is a better shooter than I can shoot. I also bought a Model 700 Boone&Crockett in 270WSM. I haven't shot it a lot, but it's a shooter too. I fired an inch group at 200 yards with it, just trying to find a good load. I have done nothing to these rifles except adjust the trigger to my liking (40 oz.), and work up a load that they like. By the way, the 2 Model 7's are just as accurate. I have the Predator in 223, and I'll put it up against any factory rifle, in the accuracy department. Don't believe all that crap you hear about Remington's not being good anymore. Todays Model 700's are just as good a rifles as they were 30 and 40 years ago. Guns made today, are made with better materials, and to closer tolerances than guns were made back then.

I have a Rem 700 BDl Manf. in 1975 in 25-06 that I have for sale on this site that is very accurate & almost looks new. I also have a BDL in the 270W which is also very accurate that is my go to deer Rifle, My experence with the 270W is Bang- flop one shot one Kill.

Back