Remington 700's - Who has a good one?

I've had 2 700s made after 03 the 338 Ultra maybe the worst rifle I ever owned however it was very accurate. The 2nd is a SPS chambered for the 300 WSM it shoots a little better than an inch with about anything, its a good rifle but the trigger may drive me nuts.

I have 3 new ones since then that have been awesome shooters.

one is a 700 ADL synthetic in .222
one is an SPS in 223, needed the trigger lightened but that is all
and the other is an SPS stainless in 243

Originally Posted By: Nikon_Man Sorry I stepped on some toes didn't know you remmy guys was so insecure. But please don't even go there on the Savage vs Rem deal it just too funny. I made a comment that I thought someone might get a chuckle or two out of but I guess it was a little to much for some of you to handle. I have been following these remmy threads and from exploding guns to blaming ammo manufactures and to receiving half of what you paid to falling out extractors sucky triggers scratchy brass falling off bolt handles need to tweak it before you shoot it change the stock change the trigger free float it and on and on and on. Fix these things and at the end of the day you will have a shooter that tomorrow you can shoot little bitty groups ALL DAY. Or you can just buy a SAVAGE.
I think you are missing the point.

We don't come on Savage threads and crap all over them. There was really no reason for you to come on this thread and throw your negative comments around.

Like some of the guys said....it gets old.

Originally Posted By: 4949shooterOriginally Posted By: Nikon_Man Sorry I stepped on some toes didn't know you remmy guys was so insecure. But please don't even go there on the Savage vs Rem deal it just too funny. I made a comment that I thought someone might get a chuckle or two out of but I guess it was a little to much for some of you to handle. I have been following these remmy threads and from exploding guns to blaming ammo manufactures and to receiving half of what you paid to falling out extractors sucky triggers scratchy brass falling off bolt handles need to tweak it before you shoot it change the stock change the trigger free float it and on and on and on. Fix these things and at the end of the day you will have a shooter that tomorrow you can shoot little bitty groups ALL DAY. Or you can just buy a SAVAGE.
I think you are missing the point.

We don't come on Savage threads and crap all over them. There was really no reason for you to come on this thread and throw your negative comments around.

Like some of the guys said....it gets old.

Maybe he is jealous cause he can't afford anything but a Savage....

Originally Posted By: Nikon_Man Sorry I stepped on some toes didn't know you remmy guys was so insecure. But please don't even go there on the Savage vs Rem deal it just too funny. I made a comment that I thought someone might get a chuckle or two out of but I guess it was a little to much for some of you to handle. I have been following these remmy threads and from exploding guns to blaming ammo manufactures and to receiving half of what you paid to falling out extractors sucky triggers scratchy brass falling off bolt handles need to tweak it before you shoot it change the stock change the trigger free float it and on and on and on. Fix these things and at the end of the day you will have a shooter that tomorrow you can shoot little bitty groups ALL DAY. Or you can just buy a SAVAGE.

For god sakes N_M,,, give it a frikin rest!!!
At first it was simply annoying,,, but now you're being obnoxious and obviously looking for a fight..

You keep your Salvage's and Nikon's and I'll keep my 700's and Leupold's..

Charlie

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Nikon_Man Sorry I stepped on some toes didn't know you remmy guys was so insecure. But please don't even go there on the Savage vs Rem deal it just too funny. I made a comment that I thought someone might get a chuckle or two out of but I guess it was a little to much for some of you to handle. I have been following these remmy threads and from exploding guns to blaming ammo manufactures and to receiving half of what you paid to falling out extractors sucky triggers scratchy brass falling off bolt handles need to tweak it before you shoot it change the stock change the trigger free float it and on and on and on. Fix these things and at the end of the day you will have a shooter that tomorrow you can shoot little bitty groups ALL DAY. Or you can just buy a SAVAGE.

At first it was simply annoying,,, but now you're being obnoxious and obviously looking for a fight..

Charlie

Yes Mamm.

Darrell

RePete, just shrug it off bud. If he doesn't have the intelligence to carry on the conversation and resorts to name calling, don't waste your time with him

A few months back a group of Savage shooters here, IIRC, were patting each other on the back about the exploits of their indiviudual rifles, and one posted that he had never seen anyone complain about a Savage.

I posted that I had bought an inaccurate Savage a couple of years ago and that it wasn't worth keeping. The first response to my post began with the words. "Oh my Gawd", IIRC.

The guy seemed to be so incensed by my comments that later on I looked back at my original post to be sure I hadn't inadvertently said, "I bought an inaccurate Savage, and I have pictures of your wife sleeping with the HS football team."

All I know is I've bought a beau coup bunch of Remington rifles in my shooting life since the mid 1970's, and I've yet to buy one attached to horror stories like you read about almost daily on the internet about them. Maybe I've just been overly lucky.

I did notice in the thread about gun sales people being idiots where someone on the sales side of the counter said that most of the problems with new rifles were cockpit errors on the part of the buyers. Maybe that applies to some extent when you consider the large number of Remington rifles sold each year.

On another note, folks have complained for years about Remington rifles - and Winchester rifles too when they were in business under several different banners. But back then no one bought Savages because they weren't even a major player except in the low dollar RF rifle bracket. No doubt they have improved their image, but I really don't think they are the answer to what causes cancer and a multitude of other bad things in the world as some would like for you to believe...

And before I get comments along the lines of, "Look what happened to Winchester", let me say that poor quality alone did not kill Winchester. Labor unions put the final nails (plural) in the coffin. When Winchester closed their doors in the NE, USRAC was already owned by foreign investors who simply said, "We can't make money building rifles and subsidizing labor unions at the same time." So they closed the Hartford plant and later opened a new plant in SC where labor unions didn't have a strangle hold on them.

Today FN is back selling good quality Winchester Model 70 rifles.

-BCB

Come on BCB see how ya are. Generate a post that makes sense and we have to move on to another thread of "Brand X vs. Brand Y".
I covered the base long ago. I bought some of every manufacture that builts rifle on a large scale here in the US. It allows me to jump on any bandwagon that rolls by
smile.gif

I have to include that my post '64 Winchester Model 70 is far and away the crappiest (is crappiest a word?)of them all.

Originally Posted By: skb2706Come on BCB see how ya are. Generate a post that makes sense and we have to move on to another thread of "Brand X vs. Brand Y".
I covered the base long ago. I bought some of every manufacture that builts rifle on a large scale here in the US. It allows me to jump on any bandwagon that rolls by
smile.gif

I have to include that my post '64 Winchester Model 70 is far and away the crappiest (is crappiest a word?)of them all.

LOL..!! Me too...!

I can even jump on a few foreign band wagons when the need arises. I guess we have a lot of different makes and shapes to choose from because we could probably never all agree on what is really best anyway..

Heck, men can't even agree on blond, brunette, or red head. That's why womem buy hair dye...

Take care....

-BCB

Originally Posted By: tntrapperso what just take a file and file the edges down some on it ?

If you're talking scratched cases, don't use a file to try to solve the problems. If you take too much metal off the feed lips, then you do have problems that aren't easily fixed....

Take some fine emory paper and run it along the top and bottom edges of the feed ramps to smooth them up..... It shouldn't take much.

-BCB

By default I own some foreign ones as well. So anytime one wants to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of the Carl Gustav Model 96 Swedish Mauser......I am there for ya dude.

Back to the OP question ....answer yes, several.

I have 4 700's, a VS & LVSF in 22-250, a VLS in 6 MM and a LVSF in 221 Fireball. The only thing I've done to them is have the triggers worked on. They all shoot great with my reloads. They all shoot minute-of-the-vitals of whatever I'm shooting at. They're not bench rest rifles but I didn't buy them for that.

I also have Browning, Winchester, Marlin, Ruger, Sako Savage, Stevens and some foreign ones that I really like.

Sure would be boring if all we had was 1 brand to buy.

I don't think I have ever had a remington that didn't shoot right out the box or with very minor tweeking. That said I own a lot of differant manufactures products and this can be said of most of them. What matters is what happens when you do get a bad one. So far I have personally never had an issue with Remingtons customer service. Can't say that about some of the other major companies I have had dealings with.

drscott

I have had 700's in 222, 30-06, 250, and 280. The 280 was made in 1979 and came out of the factory marked 7mm-06. It is the only 700 that I own now. They were all good shooters. I have moved to Ruger's over the last few years and have not shot any of the new 700's.

I own a few Rem 700 but I have had better luck with Savages. To each his own I guess. I prefer Savage because they are the easiest to work on and the most accurate when Im finished. The switchbarrel of the Savages makes it even easier to drop a melted down barrel and throw on another one when Im spending extended hours in PD towns too. I think Ive got 15-16 barrels setting in my closit ready to throw on at any given moment and 5 Savage actions that have been T&Td with aftermarket triggers. Im liking the ease of barrel fitting and do all my own barrel work, I just buy blanks and go for it. Shilen, Hart, Kreiger, Pac Nor, Lilja and a couple fireforming A&B barrels get swapped around all the time.
Ive Trued up several Rem actions with "quality" aftermarket barrels too. They shot OK, nothing to brag about though.
Ive got several brands of actions, I just like my Savages best. Its not a money thing for me, I buy what I want and can afford most any firearm out there if I wanted it. Im not saying the others are bad, I just like my Savages and had the best luck with them so I tend to stick with them.

Originally Posted By: Nikon_ManOriginally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Nikon_Man Sorry I stepped on some toes didn't know you remmy guys was so insecure. But please don't even go there on the Savage vs Rem deal it just too funny. I made a comment that I thought someone might get a chuckle or two out of but I guess it was a little to much for some of you to handle. I have been following these remmy threads and from exploding guns to blaming ammo manufactures and to receiving half of what you paid to falling out extractors sucky triggers scratchy brass falling off bolt handles need to tweak it before you shoot it change the stock change the trigger free float it and on and on and on. Fix these things and at the end of the day you will have a shooter that tomorrow you can shoot little bitty groups ALL DAY. Or you can just buy a SAVAGE.

Charlie

Yes Mamm.

Darrell

I'd leave my friend Charlie alone, if I were you. Take it FWIW.......

Back