Official PM 2011 Spring Gobbler Picture Thread

Finaly got one for my old high school bio teacher. Have had birds all around us for the last 3 days with no luck. This morn had to talk him in to trying a diff spot I had picked out. Got to the spot and no more than 10 min after shooting time this one came running in. Shot it at 35 yards.
100_0469.jpg

Just a tad over 1" spurs
100_0470.jpg

Now I got a buddy im taking out starting sunday. But he is my age so we will be doing some running and gunning for him. Think not being mobile has made it alot harder with the last couple guys I have had out.

Last edited:
man you are having a dang o'l season lol!

frozenbutt's turkey guiding service!

great job man!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: frozenbuttSad thing is I'm doing it for free. Just like getting out there and calling.

hey man, as long as your having fun!

you have called in quite a few gobblers this year.

Scouting out a new spot in the morning. Killed some yotes on it this winter and the guy is letting me turkey hunt it as a thanks. Got a few spots that way. Hasn't been hunted this year yet so it should be good.

Not huge, but my first called bird in gun range. I got him this morning at 10yds. They came between me and the decoy. I tried to get video of it, but didn't have time to hit the zoom before they were on me. Had a gobbler with 2 jakes in tow coming in. They caught me off guard and sitting on my can with the gun to my right shoulder and settled in the shooting sticks. They popped up at 40yds to my 3 o'clock position, so I slowly switched the gun to the left shoulder and panned the camera on them. I guess the Tom in the lead switched positions with the Jake when I was moving the shotgun to the other side, because I shot the lead bird with the huge noggin' when they locked up at 10yds and it ended up being the Jake. The ground cover was perfect for hiding, unfortunately you can't see their bodies when they get in it either. Beard was 4.5" and weighed 16lbs. I was using my Baikal 12 ga/223 combo gun and Remington Heavy-shot 3" #5's. I'm not usually into Spring turkey hunting, except to have an excuse to pick mushrooms, but today I had a good feeling about hunting. That is a spot where the yotes howl regularly also, hence the combo gun. Season ends here next week.
PICT0023.jpg

Thanks Mike, I'll take it for a first gobbler. I think my next challenge is going to be getting "good" video of a spring hunt.

well.

to the people that's season already ended i say great job!

our season ended today and although i managed to get a nice tom it was a so so year, With 3 misses and 1 harvested.

I ran out of bullets this year for sure!~

lonnie

2 Birds: A two year old (17.5lbs, 8" & 1") and a big Jake with unusually long tailfeathers..hehe (15.5lbs, 4" & 1/4") Each taken within an hour and 15minutes and 5 miles apart. One was called 600yds across an open meadow to 28yds and the other was shot in full strut at 15yds.

100_4749.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job 264junkie. Good looking birds.

I finally got my video finished from Saturday. Not the best, but not too bad for a rookie videographer and rookie turkey hunter trying to do both at once
tongue_smilie.gif

They sure are Lonnie. The other two birds I've killed in the past were with 50cal. muzzleloaders and they didn't put up much fight
rolleyes.gif
. This shotgun deal is a lot different, LOL. Now I know why everybody runs to the bird after the shot, they're like a chicken with the head chopped off
scared.gif

Congratulations. You guy's have been killing some dandy birds.

Here in Minnesota we have a long season, but you only get to hunt within a five or six day slot. My slot finally rolled around on May 8th. That's when I shot this 23lb - 14oz tom. He sported a thick 8 1/2" beard and 3/4" spurs.
TomCompressed.jpg

The next morning I took my wife out, and she shot this 14lb jake. This was her second turkey, and now she got one two years in a row.
jakecompressed.jpg

Best of luck to those of you with open tags. It's starting to feel like summer here, but there is still some season left.

[img:center]
100_2464.jpg
[/img]

TC custom diaphragms did it again. Went on an out of state hunting trip and called this gobbler in the first evening. Thanks again, Torry!

Spring turkey.
We got a late start on turkey season because of too much rain. Finally one day the whole family went out to look and listen for some birds. We had found some tracks in the road the day before, so we came back to that area to glass and listen. Me and Dad went to one side of the road and Ben and Mom went the other way. All of a sudden, Mom came running over the hill, whispering that Ben had made a few mouth yelps and a Tom was gobbling up a storm at him!
We got our gun and calls and set up then managed to call him in to about 40 yards. Dad said he was too far because I was using an original side by side percussion muzzleloader, and Ben had his .62 cal. Fusil flintlock. We had patterned both guns and decided that 25 yards should be our farthest range.
We spent several hours working that bird and he got almost close enough two more times but not good enough. Mom got a bunch of him on video from up the hill above us. Finally after his hens led him away we decided where we would put up our blind for the next day.
We hunted the blind two more mornings, and saw turkeys, but no shots. The third morning Ben, Dad and me got in the blind and were not hearing a thing. After about an hour we walked down the ridge to call out over a big hollow. A Tom gobbled back at everything we did! Dad had me and Ben hurry back to the blind while he slowly snuck and called his way back. The Tom was right on Dad's heels by the time he got to the blind.
Ben and I had the video camera ready and were ready for action by the time Dad got into the blind.
The Tom was just over a little hill about 30 yards in front of the blind and gobbling his head off! Our hen decoy was at 15 yards and Dad had set up a strutting fan decoy beside it.
The Tom got to almost 25 yards and would not come on over to the hen! Dad thinks he was scared of the fan decoy. Up till now I had been watching him down the barrels of that muzzleloader. When the bird moved behind a big log, Dad had me un-cap the gun and I switched over to Ben's full choked 870 that we had brought along for backup. As it worked out, I would have been ok with the muzzleloader because when he came around the log he was only 21 steps away. Ben and Dad were going nuts, Ben was filming the whole time and Dad was trying to keep everything out of my way as I got the 870 in position out the side window. As his head came out from around the log, BOOM!!!
thumbup.gif
My first turkey was down.
5741122628_29a84f4cd6_z.jpg

5740743181_f43d9635a8_z.jpg

5740744945_598c93b458_z.jpg

5741300116_f39673ed7b_z.jpg

5741301372_eda61771f1_z.jpg

P.S. turkey sandwichs all round!

Nash

Last edited:
Back