Official PM 2011 Spring Gobbler Picture Thread

the birds here gobble in the morning at daybreak and then when they hit the ground from thier roost they shut right up. you wont here them gobble the ret of the day sometimes.

Had two gobbling about 150 yards from the blind in the tree. They got down and got to 20 feet from us and the guy I was calling for couldn't see them. I could of shot one in the head with a pellet gun. They gobbled for about 20 min on the ground today then just shut up.

yea they stay quiet here all day! im just gonna stick some decoys in a field and do some calling and hopefuly they will see them on thier way to the roost.!~

LON Thats the reason we went after them in the early afternoon. We figured they would be henned up and more willing to play while they(the hens) were off nesting somewhere. Worked great on the first one and not at all on the second one. The second one we started much later in the day, like 4:00PM though. The first one did not respond at all until we did gobbles and putts, then, he opened up. The second one had done an end around on our first stand, but never opened up. We caught him out in the open on the return. Just my 2cts on the subject.

FB To bad your guest hunter had so much trouble!! Better luck next time.....

dog1, giving it a try in the morn. Going to need to set the decoys past us more and maybe pull them into the opening more. I was pointing out hens walking in the woods 40 yards away and he couldn't make them out. So his vision may be an issue. He's 80 sum years old.

P1010012.jpg

My buddies kids scored Sunday. Bucktail Bob guided the 12 year old who had to shoot one of the long beards while it was tearing up a jake decoy.

Here are a few pics from the past week of spring season...

This is my 14 year old nephew Evan taking a break from climbing UP and DOWN the steep ridges of the Appalachain Mountains....
205055_209140629109533_100000407916076_754419_5477746_n.jpg

Here he is a few hours later with his trophy, (21 lbs, 11 inch beard). Came in using a TC Custom Calls "Notched Split V"...
208711_209140682442861_100000407916076_754420_6975305_n.jpg

...and here he is once we made it back to the field
205180_209140379109558_100000407916076_754417_3082530_n.jpg

Here's one I was lucky enough to pull away from some hens and lay the Hammersh'mack to...
215689_1891964255149_1122786225_2163272_962331_n.jpg

It's been a great season so far, I've been in on 5 kills so far, either shooting or calling/filming. We have 2 great kills on film so far and we have a lot of season to go...

Only been out once in MT so far. Waiting for the weather to improve.

Decent bird has a 9" beard and absolutely nothing for spurs.
17 yard shot

2011archerymerriams.jpg

001-2.jpg

Well the guy I had out ended up with a jake. Had 2 toms 40 yards from us and he went to shoot and the action wasn't all the way forward and it wouldn't fire he ejected a shell went to fire and it was still on safty. Finally took a shot and missed all together. Then about 15-20 min later 2 jakes came in at 20 yards. He said well I'm going to shoot a jake so he dropped one. With him being in his 80's and it being 40 for highs all week with rain or snow everyday I figured that wasn't bad. Now we just need some warmer weather before I take out some other guys. Birds are just not responding to any calling. Seems like the birds are mostly in their winter groups yet. Forgot the camera at home so I just took a picture before I cleaned it for him.
100_0458.jpg

PH30 Nice tom. LOOKS like you got him in the neck with that arrow? I used to hunt with a bow(recurve) a lot when younger(mostly carp, rabbits, squirrel) and today, having that 'old man' twitch? nothing is safe in visual range. More power to you for hunting your turkey with a bow.

FB You must be one heck of a nice guy to help an 'oldster' get a turkey. Hope there is someone like you around when I get to the point in life where standing up after a set becomes a 'goal'. Nice job...

Dog1, think the rain, cold and muddy fields took it out of the guy. Then after missing that tom I think he just wanted to get it done with. But the way I figure it at that age he can shoot whatever. They are all tropheys then.

lon, He struted just a little bit. His tail was almost full to the point I had to double check his spurs once he was down to make sure he was a jake and not a tom with a busted up beard. Weighed out at just over 19 pounds.

Got 2-3 more guys I am taking out and calling for. Maybe I can put a couple more pics on here.

Back