NYS Coyote Hunters

Thanks Tony
thumbup1.gif
Let me know when you're ready for that hunt. Shot another big female this morning. My first confirmed night coyote kill. This pic doesn't reflect the hunt in any way. It just gives a good size reference of the dog..38pounds

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh304/swampwalker_photos/DSC037192.jpg

this was the First set of the day at 4:30 in the morning. The setup was overlooking a 10 acre field surrounded by cedars. The field was lit up by the lights of a nearby facility to the point that scanning lights really weren't needed.

My friend and I had a perfect access point to the field. we followed a worn deer trail for quiet walking through some cedars to block our approach. It worked perfect. I brought a pair of binocs with us to scan the field before stepping out in the open. After scanning I figured the coast was clear. WRONG! just as I stepped out of cover I see a yote take off for the tree line. I tried barking to stop it but he had us pegged. By this time my friend and I were kneeling and I was fumbling for my hand call. I was hoping to lure a nearby coyote (that hadn't caught on yet) or perhaps get the one that headed for the hills to reinvestigaste. My friend was on it. I hear him start up his call from behind me. Not twenty seconds into the first series I see a coyote come out of the treeline fifty yds to my left. the coyote tried to get towards our downwind side and presented a 30-40yd shot.one AR shot and 2 good assurance rounds from my friends shotgun put her down quickly..We're never ones to skimp on letting the lead fly..Great hunt, Thanks for reading. - Swamp

That's awesome. I love night hunting in places that have good light pollution, its an awesome experience. Congrats on the female.

I was doing some chores on a farm a hunt after dusk. I had done a set at dusk along a hay field and small standing corn field. No dice. Chore time. About 8pm, don with the chores headed for the car. Hear some howling along the woodline next to the road, the woodline along the field inn which I setup. At first I thought it was someone trying to locate Yotes cause it was so close to the road. Then it started barking and challenge howling. I new it was a big male. Grabbed my gear out of the car, and ran up the road. Slid off the road and down next to a manure spreader. I barked and howled back. That dog was so worked up I could tell it was pacing. 8 minutes later he musta got bored or heard something off in the other direction. He kept barking an howling, but went down and away fom me. THe wind was in my face but he never stepped into the feld. At least I know he's there.

Congrats on those dogs for the hunt.
How about some stats.
Unfortunately, didnt' have any success this weekend. Did see a nice cat about ...3-ish Sunday morning.

My hunting partner tried to kill me!!!! He promised fair weather, no snow , short walks and a coyote behind every tree.

Well he can tell you about the weather. LOL
It was......breezy.

Razor I'll be in touch.

Swamp nice going on the 2 you got for the contest. Freebm You should have made it to the dinner it was nicer at the Inn were they had it this year.
Stats for the contest :
537 hunters entered
51 coyotes taken
44 pounds was the biggest yote. It was the first yote entered into the contest.
35 of the 51 were taken with hounds

Thanks guys, freebm, you and you're partner are crazy for braving that wind! I went out on sat just to bring firewood in and that was enough for me. Too bad you and yote28 couldn't make it. but its understandable, thats got to be a pretty good ride for ya.

The weather this weekend was terrible..I'm actually surprised the numbers were as high as they were.

Last edited:
Freebm the wind was only blowing 50mph...I was out all night Saturday and into Sunday morning would have been nice to had some company!!
sneaky2.gif

lol

Last edited:
Nice to see a reasonable sized coyote took the prize. I'm really not too surprised by the number of animals taken by the hound runners. Once they get jumped, the track is hot. Plus, and I'm not saying all the guys do this, if you have bait piles you can start your hounds off of those. Assuming that the coyotes have eaten that night into morning, you should have relatively fresh tracks to start on.

My "partner" is nuts when it comes to the weather. He had me out in the same stuff last year!! He says "the coyotes live in it, we can hunt in it". Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.....well you know the saying.
lol.gif

Wow, Thanks jkruger. I'm up to 7 this year. I got access to a few more spots this last year that have a good coyote population. Seems to be paying off. A little more moving but alot more action.

I need to put a little more effort into more access, and scouting in the off season this year.You're very inspiring.
I need to get my butt out of this d--- chair!!!!!
wink.gif

Called in my first animal on saturday, was a nice fox, came about 50 yards from the mojo critter. Too bad the season is over for them. Ive seen 6 fox since the season has closed. GO FIGURE. going in the morning to a new spot

Blue-

Remember to write down what call came to those fox - that will be a good starting point next year. Also a good time to make sure you have a plan for the pelts if you get one. Pelts got pretty good money this year if the fur was put up right. Even if you just plan on getting it tanned or maybe you get a really neat looking one for taxidermy you need to take steps almost right after the kill to keep the fur in the best condition for preservation. Good luck.

ok so far this season 4 females and 5 males down real nice fur on all. still having a hard time posting pics but i will figure it out soon enough. oh and 1 fox and 1 racoon.

Can't buy a coyote here.
Called one in last night but couldn't capitilize on the opportunity. Came in right where I thought he would, but he refused to stand for the "photo". LOL
Put three stands in this morning with no takers.
Wind was brutal!!!!
Something's gottta give........

Originally Posted By: rimral04ok so far this season 4 females and 5 males down real nice fur on all. still having a hard time posting pics but i will figure it out soon enough. oh and 1 fox and 1 racoon.

Rimral, those are impressive numbers for the east.. Calling? congrats.

Feebm, Hang in there..You have some tough hunting out that way to say the least.

Originally Posted By: rimral04ok so far this season 4 females and 5 males down real nice fur on all. still having a hard time posting pics but i will figure it out soon enough. oh and 1 fox and 1 racoon.

Impressive numbers for sure.U callin or usin dogs.? This is from blackwolf a few pages back maybe it will help.

Originally Posted By: rimral04can anyone talk me through on how to post pics

Get a photobucket account. Upload the pics there. Hover cursor over uploaded pics there and right click the IMG code(it will auto copy) Copy the IMG code only, not the others

Come here and paste the IMG code in yer post and select the using UBB and HTML code at the bottom of the post box.

Submit the post and the pic will appear.

Congrats on the yote.

www.nypredatorhunters.proboards.com

Yep, sounds like some good numbers for nuh yawk.

The pic process is pretty much on except you left click the code, not right click.

Don't know why I said right originally??

Congrats and lets see some dead dogs
thumbup1.gif

Back