NYS Coyote Hunters

I'm getting alot of coyotes to howl back at me from about 200-300 yards out in the woods but they don't want to committ. I guess they don't want to trudge through this stuff either.

Really can't comment on being successful as of late. Just haven't made an HONEST effort to put in the stands. In the past, this was my favorite time of year to hunt. Find the sled trails that go by the areas where the prey species are. Hunt just off of those trails. The coyotes will travel those sled trails a long way using them as travel corridors if you will. Now with this crust, they should be able to get about a little easier too.

I plan on doing the Sullivan county contest I'm just going to make Freebm carry a shovel in front of me while I carry the foxpro...
thumbup1.gif

Oh yeah back to topic...I called a coyote in on Monday but there was a dip in the field and my friend could only see his ears I however saw the dog the entire time since I was above him. No chance of a shot unless I shot over my friend. I also called a fox in but the wind swirled one time and he was gone...with this new snow its going to be tough.

NY Yote

Last edited:
With the help of the rain we recieved yesterday the fox and yotes were able to walk on top last night. I took the snow shoes two hours ago and made trails to three stands i'd like to try tonight, wind permitting.
Ordinarily i don't care much for the deep snow either.

I couldn't take it anymore so I brought my snowmobile to one of my hunting spots and cut some trails to where I am goign to set up tomorrow. Jkruger, the yotes and fox will def be able to walk on top of the snow right now, my sleds skis wouldnt even break the snow. I don't see how you could walk thru this snow right now. I had to get off my snowmobile a coulple of times tonite and just had jeans on and that top layer of snow is like glass.... hurts like [beeep]!!!

I think we're all reading from the same book..LOL. I just got in from snow shoeing out 2 sets. plan on doing a night set and a day set tomorrow morning. good luck hope to see some pics this time tomorrow.

I made 4 stands today and prob walked over 2miles. With no snowshoes... I can't feel my legs and ny shins are bruised from the ice.

I took a step and it suported my weight for a few sec then I'd crash through and sink almost to my knee, it was horrible.

No yote prob because I made so much noise crunching

~Bryan

I can't even imagine hunting in this stuff. The thin layer of ice on top is like walking with bags of potatoe chips tied to your feet. But I'll still go out as you can't call one in if you don't get out there.

The ice layer tears the dogs feet and legs up badly.
Went out last nightto the spots I snowshoed to and I made far too much noise getting there.Had fresh fox tracks at the last stand and thought it was going to be a winner,no such luck.

We got no rain here, all snow. It is up to my waist. Like an impatient fool I went out without snowshoes. Was tryin to make it to a snowmobile track some 400yds away. I was spent after 200yds. Holy cow. This stuff is gonna be interesting. Can't not go out though, I would rather sweat it out and not see anything than it on the couch.
Gonna go snowshoe some trails today, maybe for tonight or tomorrow.

Tony,LMAO I know how it feels.

We have been livin in our snow shoes. Problem is The snow is just to noisy...usin sled trails when we can but with sled trails come sleds.

Yup I'm in it. This crust on the snow I think will keep out the guys running them with their dogs this year. With all the $$ they have invested in them they wouldn't want one of them getting seriously hurt.

The last few days have been great for calling. wendesday called in a nice grey at 12:15 in the afternoon and yesterday shot a 42 pound coyote around 8:30 in the morning.
Both took a long time to respond guessing between 25 and 35 minutes.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh304/swampwalker_photos/DSC03712.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh304/swampwalker_photos/DSC03715.jpg

also missed a grey and two reds..need to carry the shotgun more. Foxes have really turned on the heat this last week. My advice to anyone who's looking to bag fox before the 15th. stick with it, If they hear it they are coming in! and DON'T forget the shotgun
cursing.gif

Razor, I hear you on the money. would be nice to get gas money back. only a couple grand
frown.gif

jkruger, Thanks, yeah .223 Right now I am shooting 40 grain v-max. I haven't decided between them and 55 grain. less pass throughs with the 40's but can be explosive if they do. surpisingly very little damage was done to the fox.

Hey swamp nice job on the fox and coyote...Keep shooting em up this week lol
thumbup1.gif
it will be less dogs I'll have to worry about on Friday & Saturday.

Last edited:
thumbup.gif
Very nice. I'm going to get back after them now that I can get back in the woods finally. I'm glad it looks like you can walk on the snow a little because it's not 6' 200 lb. friendly. Your cheating. lol

Yote 28, sounds like you're back in the game. This year we should definitely make an attempt to get a table. Razor, freebm, you and anyone else from pm. Have you heard of any numbers as far as participating hunters? Last I heard they were down.

Back