NYS Coyote Hunters

Never thought I'd almost see this thread slide to page 2.

Archery season is starting slow, so I decided to give the ole Verminator Tweety call a try about 5 PM, then figured I'd let it quiet down the last hour for any deer coming to the field. Well it wasn't 30 seconds before I had a yote coming through the woods right at me. I was caught off guard but figured I'd be able to get my bow off the hanger in time. Just as I reach the dang thing stops and looks right up the tree at me. Still not sure what I was, it got really nervous then turned around and slowly walked away with no shot. As usual, the dog trusts it's nose a good 90% and because it didn't smell me it was only mildly concerned.

Had a nice doe appear in the field at 5:30 for about half an hour - I'm waiting on a buck at this point. No buck, doe walks in to the uncut corn. I am packing up while up in the stand and hear noise in the woods. The coyote came back and is now chomping apples 20 yards away through thick, thick swampbrush. No shot. I lip squeak with bow in hand and got it's attention, but still no interest. (It is amazing how effective the lip squeak works in a pinch) Seconds later, a chipmunk below me moves in the leaves and the yote jumps the stream and comes running. It's now getting pretty dark and I'm having trouble seeing him even though he's almost below me.

I'm now at full draw but can't make him out through my bow peepsight, so I move slightly - yep, there he is - 2 yards from the base of the tree I was in. I look back through the peepsight (both eyes open), press the release trigger and hear THWAP!! The dog runs across the stream, then walks away, stumped at what just happened.

Anyone know how to skin a 4" diameter ash tree?, cuz I shot one dead nuts center that night. I can shoot five arrows into 4" at 40 yds but miss at 2!! That's why they call it "hunting" and not "shooting".

I'll be breaking out the new 17 Fireball w/30 gr. Bergers and the Foxpro one of these nights soon, that dog's number is coming due....

There's an old, old fox in my property. he's been taking the rodents and rabbits. he really looks old, looks like he lost his territory too... Been thinking about using my Bow on him...

pure rain here
frown.gif

Nice job on the yote and red. Sure looks like a small dog compared to the red.

Only one more week until the southern tier gun season starts!

I'm in the foothills of the Adirondacks in upstate and there are literally many hundreds of coyotes here. The deer/rabbit/pheasant population has been decimated by this. I get at least 5 each year and could get many more if I wanted to go out every night. Anywhere I go here, they'll respond to my electric calls. They don't always come in but they're always around. The ones that do come in, it's a one way trip...

Well, we called in our first of the year the other morning. After 2 failed sets, we switched spots. It was now 10 minutes to 11am. We were on a hardwood knob, 10 yds S, in from the field edge. There was a swampy hollow down to our SE, and the wind was from the W. My buddy and I had our backs on the same tree, I was facing SE he was W. After just 6 minutes of calling, a Yote crept in from the swamp. It was the first day out with my buddys new FoxPro Prairie Blaster. Lucky bird was the sound, and if I wasn't such a nimrod and had my shotgun up and in my hands I would have dropped it. It got within 40yds, then winded us and bailed. I had the rifle on the sticks and didn't switch over in time. I will say I am so glad we broke the ice quick qith the call. 3 days and 10 stands later and nothing...oh well.
Good luck guys.

Headed out for some sets tonight. Cold front coming in. Bait piles show activity in the area. Feel good..lets bring in the year with some fur....good luck all

5 sets tonight. Second set produced a gray fox, yet my buddy missed the shot. It came in, after about 8mins of calling. Lightning Jack, and it even came just about down our boot tracks from the walk in.

The other 3 sets were at a farm some 3 miles way, and they produced nothing, well, we saw nothing at least. The wind has been changing direction alot lately, even with the strong gusts we had tonight it would still flip flop. Oh well. We ha fun, and it beats sittin on the couch.

Anyone in the Saratoga /Greenfield area interested in hunting some night? All my buddies are north of here and kind of a pain to travel to hunt at night. Send me a PM.

Back