NYS Coyote Hunters

Agreed, my hunting spots got close to 3 feet of snow this week, I cant wait till the wind dies down and I can head out into those thick swamps and pines!

I live in cherry valley and would love to come and hunt. I hunt with another guy from St Johnsville but I am having rotatorcuff durgery on tuesday and wit the snow we just got my season is done. Maybe next year. Keep me in mind.

Is this too much snow??
Mrs shoveling out the rig so I can go hunting:
Mrs.jpg

Looking at the house from across the road:
House.jpg

Guess I won't be going hunting after all:
ThisAM.jpg

This is when the snowmobilers are your friends.
thumbup1.gif
Hopefully they go off the beaten trails. Too deep for my short legs to go more than 200-300 yards off the road. LOL

Yote 28, that snow must be really crazy up on that plateau!!!

I would definitely agree on 'Too much' LOL . I don't evan know if a yote would respond in this , unless you were right on top of one ..

Perri , you should keep the snow on your truck and use it as a portable yote blind !

Yeah,
This snow is too deep. I hunted in some deeper 3 years ago and when I went to sit down, I couldn't see over the snow!! I'll follow the sled trails and hunt right off of them. Even those can be tough. Snowshoes are a plus, but honestly, it's just a bit more work than my body likes to handle. LOL Those cramps at 2:45am wake me right up out of a sound sleep....OUCH!!!

nope not to deep. that's the norm around here. although this year has been quite easy. i'll be heading out tonight------with my snowshoe's strapped on my feet. coyotes have to eat, doesn't matter how deep the snow is.

Anybody hunt Patridge Run? I was wondering how much pressure it gets?? I know they have an @$$ load of snow right now, and I am looking to get out, but if there ar a lot of guys who hunt there I will find someplace else.

I've hunted PR for coyotes in the past and there used to be a guy on here that did, too. I haven't gotten over that way this year and really don't have a good feel for how many others hunt it for predators. Should be 3 feet plus of snow on top of the escarpment.

PR gets a large amount of pressure, I have hunted up there several times and have seen a bunch of guys calling as well...they will have more than 3 feet of snow..probably close to 4 now....

Went out and did 3 sets last night. When I left the car it was snowing. Then it turned to rain in the after my 2nd set and back to snow befor eI got back to the car. Heard a couple across the road by some railroad tracks but couldn't get 'em to cross over to me.

Some late night snow mobilers put the old Kibosh on the night for me. Still snowing now too.

My boss lives on Thompsons Lake and I was up there helping him shovel his roof Thurs and Friday. He has over 4 feet of snow. Patridge Run is probably the same. I might try it late Mon or Tues night. Let the weekiend snow mobilers make some trails. And maybe all this snow will keep some of the pressure down. Any other ideas for Capital Region spots??? I am running out of places to go...

I'm not sure where to suggest. The places I go all seem to get pressure by others and I have a hard time with the coyotes at those locations. About 20 were taken this year at a place I hunt nearby (12+ trapped, 6 shot). I don't expect much when I hunt there even though I know that there are a few coyotes still around. I hunt on my property where I live and managed to call one or two in during the contest, but I got busted so not sure what to expect there in the upcoming weeks. Good luck on finding some locations.

Snowing here right now, too.

Hey guys, those of you who live in the Capital region have a bunch of State lands south of you. I imagine there's even a whole lot more to the north but a little farther away.
I hunt 95%+ private land but, I started looking at public land too. Go to Public Land Maps

These guys produce maps for outdoorsmen and women. You'll be surprised at all of the pubic access areas we have. Dicks and Cabales sells these maps-booklets. I have the one for Eastern NY which is 190+ pages.

Oh, I have to warn you though, there are some rather large hills that you'll have to climb, especially when you get into the Catskill Park region. It's tough now, but early season there is a ton of land and I haven't seen another predator hunter...

Back