NYS Coyote Hunters

I have called 5 coyotes in December with the looks of mange, anyone else experienced the same in their areas? All of these were in Putnam and Westchester counties.

I have waited until deer season was over. Watch out now coyotes! Sights on Target where in Ulster County are you from? I am in the Kingston/Woodstock area.

NY hunters, what caliber rifles are u using? I am considering a new .243 Marlin XL7. I have a Rossi .223 single shot but have found it limiting in accuracy and second shots on misses. Any thoughts?

Primarily an old Remington 722 in 222. Good for ~200 yards. 22-250 single shot Savage 12VSS for longer range during day hunts.

Remington 700 VS .223, Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20 40mm, Lightforce 170. Hornady 40 gr. V-Max handloads at 3,300 fps.

Remington 870 12 ga. with 21" VR barrel. 3" #4 buck or Rem HD BB.

Is the .243 too much gun here in the East? I do have some open farmland for longer shots but mostly hunt woods, not really too concerned with exit hole. Mossberg 500 is my tight brush gun . Looking to also use as a deer rifle that's a little less gun than the .270Win i currently have.

Last edited:
I think I have an over kill, I shoot a Remington 700 7mm-08. It's the only rifle I have, I either use that or my bow, I am just starting out coyote hunting, maybe next year I will look into getting a 22-250.

Hey Fred,
Nice looking rig.

Can't catch a break with this weather.
Gusts must be in the 30 mph range. If it slows down a bit this afternoon, I'll be in the brush for a stand or two this evening. Got a new spot I want to try. Lot's of sign...and some huge cat tracks!!!!

Hey KNOCKEMDOWN that call looks like one I just bought off a guy that makes customs in Syracuse did you happen to get that one from around that area?

Last edited:
"Nothin' at all wrong with the 7-08..."

That coyote in the pic would disagree!! he's not happy at all with it!! Great going
smile.gif

hey fellas, im just starting to get into this yote hunting too. i went out first thing xmas day i called in this big male, i was pumped up to say the least. My buddies were doubting me at first, now they are lined up to get out with me!

yote09.jpg

Back