NYS Coyote Hunters

hey guys, new to the forum, hunted some last year. going to try to get out more this year. haven't had time to read all 54 pages on this post, whats the consensus on how to go at hunting yotes in ny, the only ones ive shot have been in the fields during the day.

You guys hibernating or still chasing deer? ;-0
Weather has been a little crappy but things look to be getting better.
Saw a lot of sign the few days I deer hunted. Looking forward to getting in some stands.
Good Hunting

Coyotes and foxes got the best of me again.

After dinnerlast night (18th), shyly told my lady that I was going out for an hour or two. She smirked and said good luck and have fun. I told her that if I didn’t get something this time,I was going to quit hunting! She laughed and said “sure, whatever honey”.

Off I went to an area only a few miles from the house. It was a beautiful night. Dark and clear, very little wind.

I set up about 250 yards from the road to the edge of a cut cornfield and brush line. Then I placed the caller about 40 yards out in a left to right cross wind and about 15 yards out into a cut cornfield. My seat was 40 yards out in the cut corn. Bordering the corn field was a strip of brushy woods approximately 40-50 yards wide with a swampy stream area next to that..

My plan was to waylay a fox or coyote coming from some larger fields northeast of where I was sitting.

The phrase “rabbits are food” was in my head so I started with the cottontail distress on real low volume. After 10 minutes I gave it a break. 5 minutes later I started the caller again but turned the volume up. Another 10 minutes goes by and nothing. I turn the caller back down, planning on giving it another 5 – 10 minutes.

All this time I had the headlight on scanning the edge of the brush-line and field. Then, just like magic, there’s a set of eyes off to my left in the brush. I turned the volume even further down hoping that this canine would step out into the open. Well no good, he just sits there looking. I turn the caller off, then kill the headlight and turn the gun light on. I have the eyes in the “halo” of the light. I start lip squeaking and I see the eyes trying to get a better look at the dying rodent. He moved just a couple of inches to his right and I could see that it was a opening in the brush. I lowered the main beam and what to my surprise is looking at me!!!

I eased the safety off and bang flop. Of course I don’t see him hit the ground but I hear the bullet “thwop”. Marking the exact point of where he was, I walk the 50 yards to where I figure he is and to my extreme pleasure I found HER.

Yup, God is good. Here are a few photos. I first estimated the weight to be 25 lbs but my digital scale said 30. I think it’s off a tad but a couple of the pics show her size.

Last night
bobcat12180813.jpg

This morning
bobcat12180827.jpg

Before work
bobcat12180831.jpg

Thanks fellas.

Smoker, hows the hunting over your way?

Fred, you downstate? I'd figure you woulda left early to beat this storm. LOL Hopefully I'll be able to get an early stand in tomorrow AM. Shot this cat about 15 miles northeast from my place in Walton (where we hunted). Only 2 or 3 miles from my place in Hobart (fiancees place).

Will be in touch soon.

Got a picture of a coyote on my trail camera following a well used deer trail,went back the next day found fresh tracks,used a distress call and squeeker but nothing showed up.

Perry, It's been real slow. Last weekend I saw the first dog sign since the early October. I was doing a lot of deer hunting down in Cannonsville on Speedwell Mtn. area this year. And just last Saturday saw my dog tracks down there. Have been seeing fox up on the farm in Sherburne but there in poor condition. Thin bodies and very little hair.

Smoker,

You ever hunt along the route 8 corridor between New Berlin and Bridgewater? I traveled that route alot in the past. Very gamely looking. Never went down any of the side roads, but I bet there's some excellent territory over there.

Fred, how about the waterfowl report????

Freebm,
Yes you're right, it does look very good up through there but I never have hunted it. And the sad thing about it is, I have family off in Brookfield that I could go on. Thanks for the idea.

Smoker

Fred,

Looks awesome. Yeah big water and little boats can be nail biters. My last hunt up near Sorel, Quebec was brutal. The St Lawrence seaway in November can be like LI sound. And we were hunting in sink boxes!! Friggin waves we're coming over the edges and into the box!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif LOL Ended up having to scrap those boxes for blinds back in the swamps. I need to clear my calender before the end of January. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Well one more week. Anybody having any luck?

Wasn't able to get out in February but been hitting it hard this month and not seeing anything.

Shoot'em up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry not to respond sooner. By the end of deer season, it looked real promising. But by the middle of January there was no sign at all in the places we hunt.
Up till then you could see at least one killed along I-88 each week,then nothing. The one trapper I know had a poor year too. Last year he got 18 or 19 this year the last I heard from him he had 6.
The rabbit population seems to be up around here too. Did you have any luck at all?

Back