Nightforce Review

Fred...I agree with what you are saying and don't sell yourself short. You are right..the coyote that stays way out yonder is the one you have time to twist on. However, most of the it is the retreating coyote that gives you another chance and usually the time you have to make the shot is short.

If I thought twisting turrets would work for me, I would definately own a Nightforce. But since it won't..I use this.

BR197.png

Randy

Interesting reticle, Randy & thank you!
Essentially, we are shooting the same way then when time doesn't allow for dialing. The only benefit I see with the NXS is that the turret adjustments match the reticle subtensions. So then, the option to hold the (for example) 1.0mil hash mark for a 300yd shot, or dial it when time allows will get the bullet to the same spot...

See ya around!

There's been some very good information shared in this thread.

Thanks go to Fred & Randy Shaw for both contributing valuable information that can make is all more successful in our coyote hunting. Good job guys. Thanks for sharing that with us.
thumbup.gif

I do the same as Randy, BTW. I use the MilDot reticle when shooting long range "hangers". Even though I have the NightForce, and as Fred says, you can practice with the turrets and get fairly quick with them, my .223 limits me to ranges I'll shoot a coyote, so the MilDots work fine.
wink.gif

Barry

Originally Posted By: R.ShawIn the real world of coyote hunting, there is no time to crank on turrets. I will stick with just using turrets to sight-in with and forget it. Make a guess at the range and hold the appropriate reticle on the coyote.

Randy

I think for the most part this statement is accurate.

I own and love my NXS 5.5-22x56 and use it for hunting here in NV. We are allowed to spot light. Here we have coyotes, bobcats, grey and kit fox. If you have ever skinned a kit you would know that the fattest part of their body is only about 1.5 inches. Holdover is great on a coyote, but try holding over on a kit at 250 yards....at that range my 204 drops 2.75 inches.

I'm just saying that I don't twist in all scenarios, but there are real world applications for it, and there is no doubt that it is more accurate than trying to take a shot while holding halfway between the cross hairs and the first hash below it.

Now then......trying to find that little bastard at 250 yards in the dark is a different problem for another post.

Somebody needs to keep this thread going.
I'm still thinking about getting a new NF, and I need a lot more reasons why I shouldn't.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNo Jeff !
No Jeff !
No Jeff !

Does this help ? lol

Nope, you gotta do better than that.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Somebody needs to keep this thread going.
I'm still thinking about getting a new NF, and I need a lot more reasons why I shouldn't.

Jeff, Come prairie dogging with us and you will see the need for a NXS.. It's a Hoot!!
Go ahead and just buy one ya know you want to LOL..

Originally Posted By: carvercallsHeck yea we leave Thursday!!

You shoulda given me a little more notice. I've got a salt water black drum fishing trip on the Jersey shore scheduled for next week.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeO crap !

Jeff ,
I'll hold the umbrela for you and range your p-dogs !
w00t.gif

Tim, you can still hold the umbrella and range the fish for me!
grin.gif

Ok !

I was invited to Co for p-dogs over the holiday, but the recent gun project drained my cash.

I've got 6.75 days of vac to use before July and no $ to go anywhere .
frown.gif

Back