Nightforce Review

Here's a tube pic of their MLR Reticle in my 5.5x22

1273581986.jpg

Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboyHere's a tube pic of their MLR Reticle in my 5.5x22

1273581986.jpg

Judging by the cross hair position....new castration technique?!
lol.gif
Sorry couldn't resist.

I am going to have to agree with VA KEN on this one I bought my first Nightforce and am really disappointed in the clarity of the glass compared to the numerous Zeiss Conquest scopes that I have. I only started sighting my rifle in today and got rained out before I was finished but from what I can tell so far I spent good money I did not need to spend. The Zeiss scopes are so much clearer than the Nightforce they don't even compare.

Zeiss may have 'better' glass, but certainly not ' more better-er' enough to make you hit a target any 'better' than a NXS...

If anything, it is quite the opposite.

Thanks to the Zeiss' inconsistent turrets (in both feel and actual adjustment range), combined with the lack of internal adjustments make the Zeiss far and away a WORSE choice for any serious long range shooting...

If you are talking point & shoot engagements, you definitely don't need a NXS. Much like lifting your truck and putting swampers on it only to get ya to the supermarket & back. It may look cool, but you prolly wasted your money on stuff you'll never use...

Whatever makes ya happy though, right?

Originally Posted By: knockemdownZeiss may have 'better' glass, but certainly not ' more better-er' enough to make you hit a target any 'better' than a NXS...

If anything, it is quite the opposite.

Thanks to the Zeiss' inconsistent turrets (in both feel and actual adjustment range), combined with the lack of internal adjustments make the Zeiss far and away a WORSE choice for any serious long range shooting...

If you are talking point & shoot engagements, you definitely don't need a NXS. Much like lifting your truck and putting swampers on it only to get ya to the supermarket & back. It may look cool, but you prolly wasted your money on stuff you'll never use...

Whatever makes ya happy though, right?

exactly ! Zeiss has mediocre tracking mechanism at best...

In the real world of coyote hunting, there is no time to crank on turrets. I will stick with just using turrets to sight-in with and forget it. Make a guess at the range and hold the appropriate reticle on the coyote.

Randy

Originally Posted By: R.ShawIn the real world of coyote hunting, there is no time to crank on turrets. I will stick with just using turrets to sight-in with and forget it. Make a guess at the range and hold the appropriate reticle on the coyote.

Randy

+1 randy!

Originally Posted By: R.ShawIn the real world of coyote hunting, there is no time to crank on turrets. I will stick with just using turrets to sight-in with and forget it. Make a guess at the range and hold the appropriate reticle on the coyote.

Randy

LOL... maybe where you live. Come hunt in WY or Montana or Colorado, or SD OR ND OR Idaho Or Utah... OR OR OR....

Randy

Personally I have found that usually this is a correct statement.

Let's see. Hunted and killed coyotes in Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska and Missouri. I still stick by my statement.

Randy

Randy
Exactly I live in Oklahoma lots of wide open spaces here too. I bought the 2.5x10x32 with the high velocity reticele. If everything is done to Nightforces specs you DO NOT need to crank on turrets just put the reticile on the target and pull the trigger. In my original post I never mentioned anything about the cranking of the turrets I said the glass on the Nightforce does not compare to the Zeiss and I still stick with my orginal opinion and that is exactly what it is MY OPINION.

"Thanks to the Zeiss' inconsistent turrets (in both feel and actual adjustment range), combined with the lack of internal adjustments make the Zeiss far and away a WORSE choice for any serious long range shooting..."

"The Zeiss scopes are so much clearer than the Nightforce they don't even compare."

"exactly ! Zeiss has mediocre tracking mechanism at best..."

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jasonpredhunter Originally Posted By: R.ShawIn the real world of coyote hunting, there is no time to crank on turrets. I will stick with just using turrets to sight-in with and forget it. Make a guess at the range and hold the appropriate reticle on the coyote.

Randy

+1 randy!

Yep I couldnt agree more!

Hey Randy,
I'm nowhere near the coyote hunter as you, but I beg to differ with you on your statement. If/when the rare opportunity arises that a coyote "hangs up" waaay out there, there is usually time to 'dial him up'...

Surely, you've had a 'barker' giving you the dickens from across the valley or out on the sage flat? Prolly 400+ yds out? If you are lucky & spot them, they just don't leave so quickly & will even sometimes sit there & survey the situtaion before them, or be hoppin' on their forelegs & barkin' like a junk yard dog...

Anyhoo, I've found time to slip the LRF out to confirm the range, check the dope card, dial the elevation, dope & hold the wind & send one his way. Also have done it by just holding over with the set substensions of the reticle...

Once you've practiced it, it don't take long at all. Should note that I'll usually laser range landmarks on an
'open stand' before calling commences. That way I can guesstimate distance on the fly should a coyote show and "hang up" in relation to one of them. Then a quick dial, or holdover and wait for the meat report
smile.gif

I usually know the dope for my rifle in my head, so don't even need to look at a dope card. Mrad adjustments make that easy, as it is only two numbers.

For instance:
I brought along a 1K capable rifle to Oklahoma while coyote hunting this spring, just for a goof. Here's how I set up for any potential shots...

With a good 100yd scope (turret) zero, I dialed 0.4mils UP to my 200yds zero and left it there for the beginning of every stand. That way, my point blank range is covered out to 250, where you know most coyotes are shot. So any 'normal' shots are point-n-shoot flop jobs.

Farther ranges are as follows
ele._______________ wind(full value)
300 1.0 mil___________0.4
400 1.6 mil___________0.6
500 2.4 mil___________0.8
600 3.2 mil___________1.0
700 4.2 mil___________1.2
(mils make these values easy enough to crunch for in between yardages)

With the FFP reticled scope I had on the gun, those #s work at ANY power range. So I could hold off in the reticle & fire pretty stinkin' fast if I had to, or dial the rest of the way (also pretty quickly)...

I'll readily admit that the opportunity to take a far shot on stand are RARE. But if I ever get the chance, I'm sending one with practiced confidence. And I've only killed coyotes in NY, PA, Missouri, Nevada, Oklahoma, Arizona, Utah & Idaho, but some of those got dialed & dumped out there a ways on the 1st shot (with credible witnessses).
It takes a heckova lot longer to explain it than to employ it. Lots of guys develop their own systems, so 'my way' ain't the right way for everyone. I just like shooting in general, and messing around with these #s and shooting stuff far away is GOOD fun!

Fred

Originally Posted By: HouseCat am really disappointed in the clarity of the glass compared to the numerous Zeiss Conquest scopes that I have. ....................... The Zeiss scopes are so much clearer than the Nightforce they don't even compare.

Want to trade that NF for a 6.5x20 Conquest? PM me!!!!

To me, my NF are on Par or a little ahead of the Ziess conquest in the glass dept. I even think that my Sightron SIII is a little clearer than my Conquest. Non of which are in the same class with the S&B (Zeiss Victory is though...).

If your not going to twist & turn turrets with regularity I feel no reason to go with a NF. That's were they shine. The mud tires on paved roads is a good analogy. For MOST peoples hunting style they will never range & then turn in HUNTING (not counting varminting) situations. However, you can only get so accurate with a "hold over". Luckily game animals are relatively large. However, try hitting an egg @ 500 yards without cranking the knobs! Just hold over & see what happens. Of course most people don't need or want to be that precise (or don't want to put that much money into the needed equipment). Those don't "need" a NF.

Anyone else that has a trashy NF they want to get rid of is welcome to PM me also. Really wanting a compact to go on my 6x45 DTech
w00t.gif

Coleridge, a 24mm Compact is a fine complimnet to a DTECH 6x45...
36lbfemale026.jpg

Or the 32mm on a DTECH .20TAC...
shootin8-23001.jpg

Of course, a full sized 50mm NXS works well for a DTECH too, 25Wizzer...
41lbcoyote004.jpg

And even a 56mm NXS is tolerable on a DTECH, for p-doggin' at least...
range010.jpg

Just sayin...
wink.gif

Back