Night vision info for everyone!

I have JP upper with rock river lower jewel trigger.hi rise flattop.Has muzzle breaks cut in
sides and top of barrel.plan to shoot 55g NOsler
BT's with around 24 grns Varget.hope muzzle flash
wont be a problem with 20 barrel.thankds.

IOTN
Sent lunar planning program, NVG manual, pics and some video. Was told by roadrunner I was hogging up too much space. I can drop about half the frames per second and reduce the size to 240X240 but will look too grainy and not very smooth. Would have e-mailed this note to you directly, but am locked out from their email until I can clear my files.

Jim

IOTN,

I was wondering if you know of good locations to look for some used Gen IIs. I really can afford anything else. And also a IR spot light. Can these mount on a Rugar #1. I've only seen em mounted on AR-15s.

Thanks much

wyoming I am going to sell my PVS4 Let me know if you intrested and I can give you the detail. Only reason for selling is I am getting a Gen 3 scope
davispainthorses(NOSPAM)@netzero.net just take out the nospam
John

SRS 1: I have tried several IR illuminators on my setup, and just found what I believe is the best so far, the Newcon 75. It is a lot smaller and lighter than Iownthenight's Surefire setup, although that would work just fine. You can order one through Lanny Leonard in PA and he is a straight up dude, gauranteed; he has a web site you can contact him through at Leonard Contracting Night Vision Sales. They are around $200. It has 3 intensity levels, a focus-able lens, and comes with a mounting shoe that will easily mount on the side of most scopes, and probably through the front sight on an AR, if yours has one. It has been my experience that even with a good Gen 3 scope, it can be difficult to pick out critters at a distance, especially if they are not moving. IR lights up their eyes and penetrates those shadows, and this little unit will light up the shadows to around 200 yds on a clear night. One thing- too much intense IR can eventually damage an intensifier tube, so I would not make a habit of leaving a strong illuminator on all the time, just when you need it. The one thing that would improve the Newcon would be a tailcap or momentary pressure switch, but with threee intensity levels I suppose that might be tough to design, I'm not sure. The illuminator pictured mounted on my IR is one I got a while back from nightvisionweb.com, it does have a tail button, but can't run with the Newcon 75 as far as range or output. I'll snap a pic or two and post them here in a bit. Here ya go- the Newcon 75 is beside the rifle, you can see how compact it is. Through the NV it is like a mini Q-beam! http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pece6b6845526b2918930ee66eb79b025/fa996d26.jpg

Wyoming, the PVS 4 is probably the best Gen 2 NV ever made, very good optics and built milspec tough. Lanny can help you with that as well- he's probably one of the leading NV experts in the private sector.

Iownthenight-

I am interested in purchasing my first NV scope. Is an “AMT Aries MK 6500” Gen2 scope any good? The seller wants $800.00 for it. Would it be better to buy a Gen II PVS-4 as you recommended in one of your earlier posts? It looks like they can be found for not much more $ with any luck.

Thanks!
Scott

Well, guys I'm not having any luck posting images from Sony's imagestation. Mods, it looks like they have put a block on theirs, too. Got any suggestions? I wish we could post them directly to this site- I'm not nearly enough of a computer whiz to know what that requires!
Blackgun, I think you can contact IOTN here at Jason's Gun Room. The PVS 4 has a much better reputation than anything from Aries, from what all my sources report. Jason should be able to fix you up with one, too.

Just found this thread via a link on another board.

I've done quite a bit of night shooting. Units I have are an older PVS 2 which is now mainly set back in reserve and not used. And a PVS 14 monocular. By far the most used unit has been the 14. Primarily I've been working with the head mount set up but I plan on a PRI weapons mount with ARMS lever throw ring for the M1913 Picatinny rail. I've found through my use that the only way to effectively hit targets with the head mounted NVD is via the use of an IR laser affixed to the RAS of my M4 pattern carbine. While my optics (EOTech M552 and Aimpoint M2) are NVD compatible getting down and shouldering the weapon takes too long.

I also note that on your carbine your using a Surefire rail light. I've been working with the M900A verticle light with optional turbo head and IR filter. With the 2.5" bezel the IR beam is easily directed at over 100 yds. I've found that the smaller 1.6 bezel works well in most situations. It really aids the situation when you can throw IR light into a densly wooded area or inside a building. (Though if your using in a defensive situation I don't feel an NVD is your best option for room clearing).

When I shoot handguns with the headmounted NVD the lasers that so many buy and stick on their weapons as toys quickly become a literal viable defensive tool as the 14 won't lock onto two distances at one time. So far the Crimson trace grips have done well for me...still in the testing and evaluating phase.

In addition to the units listed I've also got substantial trigger time (and night time driving time) behind the PVS 7 units.

I'd say the information provided here has been pretty forthright and mirrors my experiences with the units I've used.

Glad to see new posters!

The PVS-4 is the way to go, IMHO, and I have replied back via email answering questions.

The Newcon 75 sounds very nice indeed!

Keep those questions coming!

***Note: I will not have access to email from the 14th of Nov. thru the 23rd of Nov. Please don't think I am ingnoring your questions, I will answer them as soon as I return. ****

IOTN,

Sorry about this but could you send those emails again. My filter must have put them in the trash. I'll look now before emptying it. thanks.

Wyoming,

I can answer your questions here...no problem!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

IOTN,

I was wondering if you know of good locations to look for some used Gen IIs. I really can afford anything else. And also a IR spot light. Can these mount on a Rugar #1. I've only seen em mounted on AR-15s.

Thanks much

>>>>>>>>

Probably the best place for a used Gen II scope (like a PVS-4, etc.) is eBay, believe it or not!
Just make sure you get lots of pictures of the unit, and a detailed description as well of function, accessories, condition, etc.

Most legitimate sellers of NV (even used equipment) will give you a money back guarantee (minus shipping costs, of course) and a short inspection period. IF you are really gun shy, you might consider putting the purchase on your credit card or even escrow, in order to have some recourse in getting your money back if the deal goes South for some reason.

You should be able to find a nice PVS-4 for around $900-$1200, don't pay any more than that!

OR a used USNV-4xx series, etc., but the Gen II tubes will have typiclly have more blemishes than the milspec PVS-4 tubes.

Same goes for an IR spotlight. Don't pay more than about $75 for a 2 million candle power version, as all you are buying is a cheap spotlight with an IR filter slapped on it!!

You can mount the PVS-4 (or other Gen II scope) on your Ruger if you can find a weaver mount for it. I don't mean the "Weaver" brand mount, but the milspec weaver rail. You will need an ARMS mount for the PVS-14 or the much harder to find PVS-4 railgrabber milspec mount. The other GenII scopes usually come with weaver mounts already installed and ready to use on a weaver rail.

thanks!

kytimberman, I know lanny, he is the one I bought my nv scope from. He is an honest guy, and I felt confident dealing with him.
The newcom you speak of sounds awesome, how wide of area is lit up with this illuminator?
Also, how well does it work in woods and brush?

SRS, that illuminator uses a high output LED, and will light up around a 75' wide rectangular area at 100 yards. I thoght that was the top of the heap, BUT- then Lanny showed me this little sucker. It is supposed to be a true laser illuminator, is even smaller than the 75(2/3 the size of a mini mag), and throws an incredible beam, way out past where I can distinguish anything with my NVPS-10. I can make out a deer at probably 500 yards, but the beam goes even further than that. It has only one setting, and the head is focus-able. Up close you would have to be careful not to have reflection from a concentrated beam off of a building or vehicle, or else I believe you could damage your NV's image tube. Lanny can get one for around $250, not cheap, but it really performs. For about any practicle use the 75 is still a very good choice. Here is a picture of it next to my Handi Rifle. javascript:showPic('http://members17.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/members/compact_slide_show.pl?album_item_id=42608471', '520', '600');

Previously posted by Iownthenight
In my opinion, the list would look something like this. I have added the PVS-14 monocular in, as it still makes for an awesome scope, with the right setup.

Here goes:

1) Raptor 4x (or 6x if you prefer)$6.5K
2) USNV-740 $3.6K
3) USNV-443 $2.6K
4) USNV-441 $2.4K
5) PVS-14 or USNV-14 (with appropriate setup)
6) Gen III PVS-14 $depends, but starts around $2.5K used
6) All the rest (Aries 7900, 7800, etc.)
What would you consider the appropriate setup for USNV-14 or PVS-14 on AR-15 or AR-10?

I appreciate your input in advance.

Thanks.

While I don't sell NV I have been buying several several High end 2nd and 3rd gen systems the last several years.I have set up the USNV-14 and a USNV d-300 both 64lp/mm ultra units with Weapon rail mount and head mount. The system works OK with the Eo-tech sight best compared to the Aim point NV sight because the aim point is harder to line up and shoot and has smaller FOV compared to the eo tech. Range is limted to about 75 yards tops for me on smaller targets. My 443 ultra NV scope I can shoot a few hundred yards with the thin back lit red crossarrow making smaller targets easier to hit.To make it simple the PVS-14 style shooting set-ups are fine for close range and a good dual use system. A real NV scope will shoot much father distances and smaller targets with more ease.

Troy,

Best thing for the PVS-14 would be the AR-15. the .233 recoil is not a problem for the PVS-14.

The AR-10 would also work well, and the PVS-14 can handle .308 recoil no problem as well.

Just depends on the game you are hunting at night, what your application is, etc.

Phantom223 is correct when he says that the PVS-14 and the EOTech are a good combo out to about 75 yards, but no further.

BUT if you need to shoot at 100-500 yards, then you will need to get a Monoloc for your PVS-14. It allows you to quickly attach your PVS-14 to your regular daytime riflescope, mounted on your daytime rifle. This allows you to engage targets as far out as your rifle can in the daytime, but at night thru the PVS-14. I have shot .25MOA five shot groups at night at 100 yards, so the package is as accurate as your rifle is in the daytime. I have also shot a 3.5" 300 yard group on a cloudy night with my PVS-14 and the Monoloc and my FN SPR in .308.

Hope this helps, the monoloc is definitely the way to go! It makes the PVS-14 almost as good as a dedicated NV rifle scope, and you can use the variable power of your daytime scope to really get close and see the details! The trick is to have the best lowlight daytime scope you can get, with the largest objective to let in the most light. Right now that means a Zeiss VM/V 3-12x56, hands down. NO ONE makes a better low light (or no light!) scope, period.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info on the Monoloc. YOu can search for it on the net under "monoloc". I know the owner/inventor (Rich Brough) so let me know if you have any questions, etc.

thanks!

well, here goes nothing, I have a bolt action 243 Howa rifle that I am interested in setting up with a gen II nv rifle scope. I am very interested in the pvs-4 I am looking to spend around 1000. give or take but really need to know if I can mount it on that gun and any other info you can help me with. thanks..... Steve

Here is a photo of my setup.
Pictures a little grainy due to too much moonlight.
ARNVG2.jpg

Whtnite,

Yes, you can mount a PVS-4 on your Howa bolt action, provided that you can get a 1913 milspec rail (weaver rail) mount, like the one piece units that are available for the Remington 700, the Savage 110 series, etc.

I am not sure if there is one for the Howa action or not. But is there is, then you you are in business! You will just need the ARMS throwlever mount that attaches to the PVS-4 and you are good to go once you have your weaver rail mounted to the rifle.

Let me know if you have any questions!

thanks

Was wondering about using nv on a crossbow, how it will hold up to the vibration. And rec. on a usefull gen 1 unit for this use. Have heard that a lot of the gen 1 units have a high pitched whine when in use, if so which unit do you rec. that is quiet.

Back