Night vision info for everyone!

Without a doubt, this is one of the finest threads I've seen lately. I have been contemplating buying the Gen. III Osprey for awhile now, but wanted to know more about what I was getting myself into first. I do a lot of digital filming on my predator hunts. With the Osprey you can supposedly film through it at night. That's the thing that instantly got me attracted to it, and interested in NV in the first place. I was wondering if there are other units that will do the same thing also. I'm comfortable in that $2-3,000 range if thats whats neccessary to get quality footage, and clean kills at night. A NV scope without filming capability does not intrest me. What are my options?

Also I was looking at the ITT 220 binocular Gen. III. If I take the plunge and start hunting at night, I'm going to take it seriously. The way I see it, I need something I can strap to my head, while I sit and watch, then flip out of the way or set down, before switching to my riflescope. I just know that if I try and scan the whole area using just my scope I'll miss out on some opportunities. What are these ITT units like, and is there another system which may work equally as well if not better, in the same price range or less?

Last but not least, what are the dangers, if any, associated with looking through NV equipment for extended periods of time?

I realize it may take more than a few lines to answer all these questions, but any info is appreciated. Thanks for the thread.

Without a doubt, this is one of the finest threads I've seen lately. I have been contemplating buying the Gen. III Osprey for awhile now, but wanted to know more about what I was getting myself into first. I do a lot of digital filming on my predator hunts. With the Osprey you can supposedly film through it at night. That's the thing that instantly got me attracted to it, and interested in NV in the first place. I was wondering if there are other units that will do the same thing also. I'm comfortable in that $2-3,000 range if thats whats neccessary to get quality footage, and clean kills at night. A NV scope without filming capability does not intrest me. What are my options?

Also I was looking at the ITT 220 binocular Gen. III. If I take the plunge and start hunting at night, I'm going to take it seriously. The way I see it, I need something I can strap to my head, while I sit and watch, then flip out of the way or set down, before switching to my riflescope. I just know that if I try and scan the whole area using just my scope I'll miss out on some opportunities. What are these ITT units like, and is there another system which may work equally as well if not better, in the same price range or less?

Last but not least, what are the dangers, if any, associated with looking through NV equipment for extended periods of time?

I realize it may take more than a few lines to answer all these questions, but any info is appreciated. Thanks for the thread.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Hey Songdog, these are all great questions.

I will try to them down for you:

First, if you are prepared to get the best night vision equipment in the world, then you are limited to US tubes, period. That being said, you will also need to be prepared to spend about $2K-$3K per unit, depending on which unit you choose. Most Gen III devices film thru very well, although there are some definite tricks that can be used to geratly improve your results.

I do not do alot of filming at night, just the occasional hold up the nv unit to the front of the camera and try to snap a picture kind of thing. But I can put you in touch with guys who do alot of filming at night, and have a pretty good grasp of what you need (adapters, etc) to do that kind of thing with positive results.

I do know that a monocular is the best for filming at night though, like the PVS-14 or the USNV-14. In my opinion they are also the most versatile. They can be very accurate when used on a weapons mount, and are the best hands down when worn on the head. Much better than binoculars, since they allow you to keep one eye accustom to darkenss. With a binocular, both eyes are subjected to the brightness of the image, which causes severe night blindness for a few minutes. Using one eye, your brain plays a trick on you, thereby causing you to see the image "superimposed" in the other eye, but without the problems associated with binoculars (like the PVS-7, etc.) And you can foget using the PVS-7 to shoot with, unless you have an IR laser, even then it will not be as accurate a setup as the PVS-14 mounted on a weapon. There are mounts out there (like the GG&G military mount) that will let you go from headmounted to weapons mounted in a matter of a few seconds with the PVS-14. All the pictures you saw of our troops in the Gulf shooting at night were using a PVS-14 mounted behind an Aimpoint, or better yet an EOTech 552. Both have NV settings and are also used as a daytime scope, with the advantage going to the EOTech for a few reasons (FOV, Parallax, and many different NV settings).

Also, a monocular is light weight and quick to use for scanning, etc. And you can get the military 3x afocal lens to bring you in even closer to your prey. It merely slips on and off the monocular (or screws on if you are using it as a weapons scope). The best monocular available now is the PVS-14 or the USNV-14.
These are mil-proven designs (I use a PVS-14 now)that are unbelievable at night.

If it were me, I would either get the PVS-14 or the PVS-7, easily better choices than the ITT 220 model, and you can get a very nice PVS-14 from about $2200-$3000, depending on features (mainly auto gain versus manual gain).
And you can get a nice PVS-7 for about $1900-$3000, depending on tubes. When you decide to buy, let me know as I can get you a very good deal on either unit.

Randy Shaw and Carl Ott (both members of this PM forum) bought PVS-7 units from my source, and were very satisfied with their purchases and prices. They bought the PVS-7 (binocular style) which fit their needs better in their mind. I still stand firmly by the PVS-14 monocular over the binocular, and I have used both extensively while hunting, etc. The PVS-14 is MUCH more versatile and the one I would grab first every time if I could only take one into the field. But they can attest to the quality of the units, that is for sure.

As far as shooting, a dedicated NV weapons scope will always be the best, but it has its drawbacks since you cannot easily scan for movement, and it is magnified (4x, etc.) and awkward to use for scanning when mounted to your gun.

The Osprey is not the best choice in gen III weapons scopes, in my opinion. You can spend the same money and get a much more robust scope with better optics, mount, tube, etc. Top of the line in weapons scopes would be the Raptor, but it is very expensive ($6K) also used by military snipers as we speak. You can get the 44x (441, 443, etc.) series of riflescopes that work extemely well, in 64lp/mm+ resolution Gen III for about $2000-$3000. They would be the best choice after the Raptor. The Osprey just is not up to par with these units, period.

As far as permanent damage, there is no cause for alarm. It is just like looking out the window over a field on a sunny day. However, keep in mind that you are viewing an extremely bright, "daytime" like image at night! So once you have stared thru the nv device for a few minutes, and your pupils have shrunk to limit the amount of light into your eye, they do not respond immediately when you take the unit away from your eyes!! You will be literally "blind" for at least a minute, usually more! And everything will take on a "purple" color, as your eye has been exposed to only shades of green. This is not damaging in any way, except if you fall out of your tree stand, walk into a pot hole, bump into your buddy, etc. If you sit tight, your eyes will gradually go back to normal. The PVS-7 owners out the (binocular style) are at a much greater disadvantage as BOTH eyes will have this condition! The PVS-14 operator will be able to walk, run, shoot, etc. and have much better coordination, as this condition only affected one eye. This is another advantage of the monocular. They even have better depth perception than the PVS-7, since both units are of single tube design, but the opened dark eye gives you quasi-stereo vision (brain trick again!). The PVS-7 does not, so depth perception when driving, etc. is much worse. This is why pilots were DUAL tube nv goggles (as opposed to the single tube design) like the ANVIS-6. The drawback to the dual tube design is PRICE! They can easily run $10K, and have to have matched tubes, etc.
But to answer your original question, no damage occurs, it is not even an issue (unless you fall down, as I said earlier! :)

Hope this helps, and let me know via email if you would like me to put you in touch with my source. He has a 100% money back guarantee (minus shipping, or course), with a 3-day eval period on all devices. You will not find lower prices and better gear, period.

Also, if anyone travels thru the Kansas City area and would like to use my night vision to see what this hobby is all about, let me know.
We can even go shoot a few rounds at night, if you want to see what accuracy you can get thru these devices.

Thanks, and good luck hunting!
Jason

YoteDog: Try ebay, that is the best (and cheapest!) place to get IR filters. They have them pre-cut to fit most popular million-candle-power+ spotlights. Expect to pay about $25-$50 for one.

DesertPuppy: All the new military stuff uses "AA" batteries. Even the older PVS-4's that used a special shaped LiON battery have nice "AA" adapters now. The PVS-14 uses two AA's, the USNV uses one. Battery life is spec'd as about 40 hours of actual "on" time, about 1/2 that if you use the on-board IR illuminator all the time. Battery life is not an issue these days. You can use rechargeable "AA's" if you like. I just use regular Duracel or Energizer or whatever is cheapest. Some of the Russian stuff (and ATN,etc) uses "N" size batteries, which can be found at Radio Shack or Battery Warehouse, etc. But they are less life (about 16 hours total) and more expensive (about $4 or so a pop).

IOWNTHENIGHT, I am looking for a IR illuminator that can be mounted on a gun. It would be nice if it could shine eyes at +100yds(200 would be better). Lightweight ( this stuff really adds up), And weapon mounted. Any ideas on what would work the best for me?

I would really like to go with the pvs 14 but unfortuantly, I just can't do it at this time.

SRS 1: I know how you feel. $3K is a large step to take.

I have the large Surefire light (not sure which model) that has the ARMS throw lever mount on the side of it. It has what they call a "turbo head", and it has an IR filter as well. It works well out to about 100 yards, and is weapons mountable, of course. I think the light was about $80, and the IR filter about $39 or so.

For 200 yards, you almost need a million candle power spotlight to really get good performance, since the IR filter is so dark and the amount of IR light coming out is reduced. On the flip side, eye shine is much easier to pick out than trying to illuminate the whole varmint! You could probably pick up eyeshine at close to 200 yards with the Surefire, but you would probably not be able to identify the animal with a Gen I scope. Gen II, maybe, depends on the amount of light available. Gen III, no problem, you probably don't even need the IR at all.

Unfortunately I am probably not the best person to talk to about IR illuminators, as I have only used a few models, and that was back in my Gen I days.

What I will do is ask around and find out which model is the best for 100-200 yards. I know guys who use them all the time, and they can give me a better answer.

thanks!

I have the 443 weapon sight, and most of the time I can see fine, but it seems like the coyotes don't like to show up through the open. So I was thinking that if I could at least shine the eyes in the brush, it would be a huge help. Sounds like the surefire like would work well for me, it mounts on the forearm then? I have an AR that has the rails on the forarm, so it would prbably work out good. Do you have yours mounted under the barrel or along the side of it? Thanks again, you are quite an asset for us involved in NVs.

SRS1: I have mine mounted on the side of my AR-15. I will email you a pic of my setup so you can see.

If someone can explain how to post pictures, I will put some up for all to see!

thanks

That is a sweet setup you have. What's the weight on that little beast, 9lbs?
I wish I would have gone with a setup like yours instead of the weapon sight I have. I think yours is much more versatile.

Iownthenight,

Could you rate the best to worse Gen 3 commercially available dedicated scopes? If I read correctly you already put the Raptor in the top slot. Also curious where the others fall in the list. Don't get too complicated on me. I am learning about this NV and am a real novice. Thanks!

Crab

Crab: In my opinion, the list would look something like this. I have added the PVS-14 monocular in, as it still makes for an awesome scope, with the right setup.

Here goes:

1) Raptor 4x (or 6x if you prefer)$6.5K
2) USNV-740 $3.6K
3) USNV-443 $2.6K
4) USNV-441 $2.4K
5) PVS-14 or USNV-14 (with appropriate setup)
6) Gen III PVS-14 $depends, but starts around $2.5K used
6) All the rest (Aries 7900, 7800, etc.)

Hope this helps. All the scopes above are typically 64+lp/mm Gen III tubes, except for the PVS-4 in Gen III, which tops out at about 45-50 lp/mm or so.

Iownthenight
Good to read your informed posts. I am the developer of the NVG training program for the USBP and concure on all the technical aspects you have presented.
We are using the ITT Pinnacles for flight and for video collection used in the training program. Currently using Canon XL and Spectrolab EOS10D module, and editing with Matrox card and Premiere 6.5 software. Have good photos and video and will trade if your interested. Also, have a ton of FLIR footage.
For hunting am using a ITT 6015 with slide on 4X multiplier. Haven't mouted on rifle, yet; waiting for a BBA to hold the Pinnacle 1mage intensifier and power source.
Will be shooting footage next month, if you can get this way your welcome to join in. Email: Jimmy.Hardin@dhs.gov

Here are your pix.

069024.jpg

069025.jpg

069027.jpg

Great looking rig!

Thanks for your reply I-O-T-N, after a lot of reading and promo BS I'm sure I'll have a few more questions. Thanks again!

Crab

Jason,

Thank you very much for all of your help. I ordered a USNV-440 from Lanny. I think it fits exactly what I'm looking for. I like the edea of it being smaller and lighter than a PVS-4.

Originally posted by Iownthenight:
[qb]I can answer any of the night vision questions you might have, as I have owned almost every night vision device out there to date.

I do alot of NV shooting, around 3 days(nights!) per week, every week.

I also hunt varmints, etc. at night as well, but have much less experience with the art of calling than I do with NV.

I have a ton of pictures that I can send of targets, NV scopes/goggles/weapon sights, nightime pictures of animals, etc. to anyone interested.

My current setup is two-fold. For ranges out to 75 yards or so, I use an AN/PVS-14 behind the LE/Mil version of the EOTech 552, which has numerous NV settings for brightness. The 14 locks down on a GG&G Tall QD mount.
The rifle is a .223 Young Manufacturing M4 with A3 flattop, 16" fluted M4 style barrel and ARMS SIR system. I use the largest Surefire with turbo head and mil IR flip-up/flip-down filter 850nm. I shoot 69gr. Sierra BTHP's at 3050 fps.

For ranges from 75 yards out to about 400 yards, I use the AN/PVS-14 in a Monoloc on a .223 Bushmaster V-Match 20" A3 upper, or on a Remington 700PSS or Savage 110 tactical (if .308 is required) On the 20" Bushmaster I shoot 55gr. Hornady V-Max at 3240 fps. On the .308 guns, I use Hornady's TAP ammo, can remember the gr. or fps tight now.

I have dropped coyotes at 400+ yards on a slightly moonlit night with clear skies.

I have taken many a racoon (and a single bobcat) at 100-130 yards on a very cloudy night, with no stars, no moon, and freezing rain.

I have watched many deer as they bed down for the night from 75-400 yards away.

Here is a partial list of what I have owned/own:

Multiple Russian units (cheetah, DNseries, Ospreys, ATN, etc.
Multiple AN/PVS-2's
AN/TVS-2B
Multiple M4 US Mil IR tanker binoculars
Swill Mil Jumelle 72's (two of them)
Numerous US Mil Tank periscopes - Gen I & II
Multiple AN/PVS-4's - Gen II
Multiple AN/PVS-4's - Gen III
AN/PVS-5A/B/C's
US Mil Aquila 4X - Gen II and Gen III
AN/PVS-7A - Gen III/Omni III
AN/PVS-7B - Gen III/Omni IV
AN/PVS-7D - Gen III/Omni V
Raptor - 6X Gen III/Omni IV
NQ/PVS-14 - Gen III/Omni V

If I can answer anyone's questions on NV, please let me know!

Remember, there are plenty of very good beginners units out there that can be used very successfully to take game at night, provided you understand the limitations/advantages of each Generation of NV devices. I have taken game with everything from Gen 0 to Gen III devices, and everything in between.

I enjoy the night vision hobby, and varmint hunting, so if I can help someone with their questions, please let me know.[/qb][/QUOTE

I am looking to top off my ar with either an AriesMK-390 Palidin or the Osprey gen1 or compact.
price is main consederation for going with a Gen I.Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Stevie,

No problem, a good Gen I scope is just what you need to get you hooked on the nv sport!

I got hooked a few years ago on a gen 0 russian unit, and never looked back. I can proudly say that I have progressed thru the "ranks" and have had the please of looking thru quite a few units, all of them (Russian sutff included!) have some neat feature that makes them unique in their own way.

I should have a full test report on the Mk 390 Paladin in about a week, from my source. I will also be posting a shooting review of the scope, probably in late November. I will see what kind of accuracy I can ring out of the scope, etc.

If you can wait, that would probably be the best as real world experience seems to cut through alot of the "best scope on the market" hype that accompanies many of these products.

I have heard, however, that the Paladin is better made than the Osprey (although the Osprey looks "cooler", in my opinion). For that matter, the Dedal series of scopes (141, 142, etc.) are also better made than the osprey.

Is your AR-15 the A3 flattop, or is it in the carry handle configuration?

Back