NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: SkyPup
The FOV is great on that scope, that is what you need more than anything else at night, as those experienced at night hunting with thermals will tell you!

Anyone purchasing a thermal scope should make FOV a major consideration when deciding on a unit. Especially if you are going to hunt hogs.

Last night I was stalking a large sounder of hogs alone and after I busted them up one managed to get very close to me while I was shooting at the runners. (You are basically blind on a dark night once the animal is out of your scope FOV) I heard something growling and when I dropped my FLIR T70 down to 0.5x and swung left it was full of hog. He was going by me about 10 yards away and when he got a whiff on the downwing side the growling started. He stopped and froze with his head cocked in my direction. I had 2 rounds left in my mag so I took a shot that hit but was low due to scope offset at that very close range. I hit him hard enough that he decided to take off so at least I got him away from me. (I would normally have a backup .45 with a laser and light but I did not take time to carry it with me)

Skypup is emphasizing FOV in his posts and as you can tell from my experience last night there is a very good reason for it. I have also seen ranging enter the discussion and this will also be a challenge in the field when getting used to a thermal scope with variable magnification.

Exactly as GMan stated!

Everyone wants high power long range maximum magnification for their thermal untis, until they actually get out into the field and start hunting and experiencing everything that happens when hunting with NV/Thermal out in the woods, only then do you realize how wonderful and even life-saving a WIDE FOV truly is. The more the better!

95% of the time my thermals are on the LOWEST power possible, less than 5% of the time am I zooming in on anything....

Gents, here is the skinny on the Vid cable for anyone here receiving an RS. It was NOT released with the 320 and 640 systems because they were not done and they (FLIR) did not want to hold up the entire scopes from shipping out to us.

FLIR will give us the choice of them sending the cables direct drop ship or sending them to us for delivery. I for one do not like giving anyone outside the TNVC wire our customer information (that is our strong policy)....So as soon as we receive them (we will get a firm ETA), we will ship them at no extra shipping costs of course to all our customers.

Thank you all.

Vic Di Cosola

Spruced up the SIG 556 RS64-35 with some custom Moroccan Walnut grips!

SIG%20556%20RS64%20Wood%20Grip.jpg

SIG%20556%20RS64%20Wood%20Grip%20Close.jpg

Originally Posted By: SkyPupAll right, who out there plans on mounting one of these on a .22 long rifle for night vermin?

If I end up purchasing one of these next fall, a .22 would probably be the first rifle it would go on and then eventually an AR. Why do you ask?

Originally Posted By: yzsuperleeOriginally Posted By: SkyPupAll right, who out there plans on mounting one of these on a .22 long rifle for night vermin?

If I end up purchasing one of these next fall, a .22 would probably be the first rifle it would go on and then eventually an AR. Why do you ask?

Because I think this would be the bees knees for yard vermin elimination with a suppressed .22 auto, coons would be dropping like flies....

The soon to be released RS Production model video cable is custom designed to work in concert with the RS Series thermal scopes for video recording and keep wiring from getting caught up or obstructing the scope:

RS%20Production%20Cable.png
[

Have had a number of PMs whether or not you can see turkeys during the day with thermal....

Gobbler%20&%20Two%20Hens.jpg

Gobbler%20&%20Two%20Hens%202X.jpg

Will have a short video later...

"We often see dealers nowadays comparing thermal vids vs. this or that which is REALLY a bad thing to do"

Amen to that.

An NTSC recording really really doesn't do justice to the beauty of what is displayed on a thermal scopes screen. In almost all cases the recorder is capturing a lower quality image of what is really displayed on the eyepiece LCD and then it is even further crapified during compression etc.

Amen to that, on top of it all, the dealers take pre-palanned professional setup videos in a parking lot somewhere under ideal weather conditions and then do not even mention temp, humidity, objective lens size, microbolometer pixel size, etc. and wax eloquently how much more "clarity, resolution, and range their unit has compared to a competitiors" it is a virtual PR picnic and no relation to real life applications except that it is a sham...

Skypup,

How does your actual view on your LCD compare to your videos? Is there much quality loss between the view on the LCD and converting it to video?

Originally Posted By: yzsuperleeSkypup,

How does your actual view on your LCD compare to your videos? Is there much quality loss between the view on the LCD and converting it to video?

About 500% loss.

Ok guys, FLIR just gave me the heads up that their new support "Resources" link page is now live with the RS Series added for smooth optimization support. Personal Vision Resources Page. http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/personalvision/view/?id=53129

It's great to know FLIR has really listened to the community with such great customer support in such a short amount of time in regards to the RS series line. As we know the scope just came out.

Once again to reiterate, once the USB cables are complete, we will send these out at no charge to all our TNVC customers. FLIR did not want to hold up any initial orders to begin with the cables not being complete.

Sorry guys, i changed it to private for the time being as the RS-64 that I was using for the video is a preproduction original prototype, while the RS32 I used is an actual commercial model.

The video drivers for the two systems are different (the new production models have newer video drivers) and the output through the video channel out to the DVR is different for the different brightness and presets, so I am going to have to get a newer production RS64 model to be able to give them an adequate comparison when both are setup exactly the same way.

I was very impressed with the RS32-35mm though, it is a strong unit and I took out my old mil-spec FLIR GS T-50 with the older 25 micron core and 60mm lens to compare side by side to it and they match up very well out to 250 yards, covering my entire stand was a piece of cake with both units.

The RS32 has a bit lower resolution and would make for a more difficult positive ID out past 225 yards, but as far as targeting goes, not a problem. Very nice unit for the bucks IMHO.

Back