NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

FLIR RS scope firmware upgrades are located here for all of you who own RS scopes:

http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/personalvision/view/?id=53129

Bookmark this site for future upgrades too...

Ver 01.17.00 May 06 2014

1. Fixed bug that prevented RS24 models from adjusting zero.
2. Modified algorithm to support equal MOA adjustments for a specific model.
3. Lowered continuous zoom speed to Improve lag between zoom and reticle position update.

Originally Posted By: the impactzonegot a pVS14 behind aimpoint/eotech and have no problems making hits out to 200 without magnification

That's because you have 20 year old eyes! LoL

I do like clowning around and having the PVS on my melon and IR laser on the gun doing hip shots at 14" steel plates at 200.
cool.gif

Vic

54 year old eyes Vic!

I played with the IR lazar and head mount, and made some 200 yard hits but didn't find it helped during recovery of wounded hogs, as well as a white light a vis lazar, vision was to limited for me to deal with a real tusker in the deep brush even with a dog at my side or snakes at my feet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: the impactzone54 year old eyes Vic!

I played with the IR lazar and head mount, and made some 200 yard hits but didn't find it helped during recovery of wounded hogs, as well as a white light a vis lazar, vision was to limited for me to deal with a real tusker in the deep brush even with a dog at my side or snakes at my feet.

Copy on the age Phil, I feel ya! Copy on all.

To all our valued customers who ordered the FLIR RS scopes from us... The long awaited video cables have arrived to TNVC. We will begin to ship these cables to each of you whom have ordered. You do not have to do anything, we are shipping these free to you all. Based on your shipping addy, you will probably be receiving these cables late this week or early next week.

Thank you for all your orders and patience!

Vic

20140602_105245_resized_zps8571b7b0.jpg

Any user pics or videos out there yet using the RS32-19mm since the cables have shipped? Torn between the FOV of the 19mm and the extra clarity of the 35mm.. I've been charged by boar in the night before so like extra FOV.. but I also see that some don't consider the 19mm 1.25x useful. My hunting would be under 150yards.. probably most under 100yds..

FLIR is currently working on a sub-pixel zeroing firmware upgrade to the RS series scopes that is a major improvement in accuracy above and beyond what is currently available. I will post link to the upgrade when it is soon finalized....

Next firmware upgrade will be to improve image quality.

Another is going to be multiple reticule zero presets.

Certain upgrades have to be performed first in order for others to be enhanced later on down the line.....

I've been reading all the post here and had a question on the RS64 1.1X vs the RS32 2X. With the RS64 1.1 if you use the 2X digital zoom you roughly have the same image quality as the RS32 2X scope in its native resolution do you not? I know you give up FOV of the 1.1 RS 64 in native resolution but if you like to shoot with 2X both scopes look pretty equal on paper as 2X units?

Last edited:
No, the RS64 has 4X the number of pixels of the RS32. Using digital zoom you are just enlarging the pixel on the microbolometer, so at any magnification the RS64 still has 4X the pixels for better image quality and better InstaAlert detection. As you mentioned, the RS32 still has 1/2 the FOV of the RS64 at any magnification as well.

That said, as far as kill range goes, they both have about the same range, but being able to positively ID what you are shooting at is much poorer with the RS32.

This is not about the RS scope but it is about FLIR customer service. I attempted to update my PS 24 and something went wrong and the display screen went blank. I worried about this all night. I contacted FLIR and was able to get a tech that worked on other systems. The tech I was speaking to went and got a tech that did know how to work on my system. Long story short, They stayed on the phone with me for about 45 minutes and figured out the problem (simple software driver problem).
I have always been very impressed with this company. The guys treated my low level product like I had high level FLIR product.
I have been debating on either purchasing the IR hunter or the RS 32. It is very hard to beat the customer service I was provided today.
I'm not a sales person for them but just wanted to give credit where it was due today and pass on the great customer service experience I had with this company. They gained another sell in the near future from me.
RS 32 here I come!!!

They do have outstanding customer service.

On RS updates, be certain to allow the USB drivers to completely load before you attempt to upgrade the firmware, otherwise it wipes out the firmware. Can take over a minute for the USB drivers to load.

First check that you can read the information from the RS scope, ie serial number, firmware version, etc. before proceeding with firmware upgrade....

Originally Posted By: Pete RobinetteThis is not about the RS scope but it is about FLIR customer service. I attempted to update my PS 24 and something went wrong and the display screen went blank. I worried about this all night. I contacted FLIR and was able to get a tech that worked on other systems. The tech I was speaking to went and got a tech that did know how to work on my system. Long story short, They stayed on the phone with me for about 45 minutes and figured out the problem (simple software driver problem).
I have always been very impressed with this company. The guys treated my low level product like I had high level FLIR product.
I have been debating on either purchasing the IR hunter or the RS 32. It is very hard to beat the customer service I was provided today.
I'm not a sales person for them but just wanted to give credit where it was due today and pass on the great customer service experience I had with this company. They gained another sell in the near future from me.
RS 32 here I come!!! RS 32
thumbup1.gif

Back