NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

Thanks SkyPup, I hadn't seen that one before. Positive textual review, but what I want to compare is the difference in FOV in the field at ranges up to 150yds in brush/grass/trees. So far about all I've seen for the RS32 19mm & 35mm is a man/pig standing in an open field.

Here is a video through the new FLIR RS32-35mm handheld, you will get the same FOV and detection with the RS32-35 thermal weapon scope....

The FLIR Tau 2 cores are the same and the lens is the same, however the RS scope has a video frame rate of 30fps and is ITAR controlled, while the 9fps of the PS32-35mm is not ITAR regulated for export.

I located this video and thought it might help people to see the difference. I know it is not a hunting application but it does show you the difference in resolution between the FLIR cores.

It's a good video to illustrate differences in the cores, but doesn't really help with FOV and magnification differences between RS32 choices. I think I'm just going to rent one for my Christmas hunting trip & hope to look at both the 1.25x and 2.25x (19mm and 35mm).. unless some videos for these become available..........

This has been an awesome thread with a ton of info, thanks to those that contributed. Now I just have to finish paying for my last toy so I can decide to go this route or a clip-on...decisions, decisions!

Originally Posted By: NoName1This has been an awesome thread with a ton of info, thanks to those that contributed. Now I just have to finish paying for my last toy so I can decide to go this route or a clip-on...decisions, decisions! let me help you.....THERMAL

quote] let me help you.....THERMAL [/quote]

Haha...yeah I meant thermal clip-on vs. thermal scope. My other toy is an Insight MTM to scan with. Right now I scan with that little guy and shoot with a PVS-14 head mounted and IR laser or the PVS-14 backed up to my dayscope. My other option was my partner had two CNVD-Ts, but he sold one so now I have the "need" to get my own thermal scope or clip-on.

Last edited:
I am very close to purchasing an RS32. I plan on using it for coyote hunting on a .223 rifle, using a YHM suppressor.

One thing I am curious about...

When using the thermal rifle scope, especially at night, is there a visible effect in the viewfinder from a warm barrel or hot suppressor after taking a shot? I am concerned about what I would be able to see after taking one or more shots, and how any distortions might effect follow-up shots.

Thanks to anyone who can offer input.

The can will get hot enough to affect somewhat after about five shots in a .223, if you put a can thermal wrap around the can, that will eliminate it, still with the wrap on you don't want to shoot over about ten times before letting it cool down since it traps even more heat in the can.

One, two, three shots will have not noticeable effect though.

Originally Posted By: hitpureI am very close to purchasing an RS32. I plan on using it for coyote hunting on a .223 rifle, using a YHM suppressor.

One thing I am curious about...

When using the thermal rifle scope, especially at night, is there a visible effect in the viewfinder from a warm barrel or hot suppressor after taking a shot? I am concerned about what I would be able to see after taking one or more shots, and how any distortions might effect follow-up shots.

Thanks to anyone who can offer input.

I doubt thermal glow would ever be an issue coyote hunting. I also use an anti mirage shield (cover) on my 7.62 suppressor and I have only seen thermal glow in my T70 one time. I stalked a large sounder of hogs one night in a peanut field and went through 15 rounds in my 6.8 SPC. Of course, after 15 rounds you don't have to worry about it because the hogs are pretty much dead or gone. I was glad I had 15 rounds in the mag because the last 2 shots were at the one that got out of my thermal FOV and ended up about 12 yards behind me growling in the dark.

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tactical-gear/tab-sas-suppressor-anti-mirage-shield.html

Last edited:
The new RS64-60mm has been released and is a LONG RANGE small FOV thermal weapon scope for shooting out past 300 yards...

The new FLIR RS64-60mm top end thermal scope has the new TAU 2.7 Image Enhancements built into the core, this is the latest version of TAU 2.7 firmware.

Also, there is a new FLIR RS-Series thermal scope upgrade enhancement available as of today, it has many excellent features added that owners have been asking for including.

1. Manual Flat Field Calibration Mode - you can now turn off the auto NUC and change it to manual NUC only, in addtion, since the TAU-2 core is shuttered, there is no need to cover the lens with the lens cover when performing a manual NUC. Manual FFC basically disables the auto calibration feature of the scope that normally occurs on a time/temp interval. In manual mode, the only time a cal happens is when the user does a press-and-release of the power button. A blue M appears on the display when in manual mode. Many people have asked for this capability and it is included in the new firmware upgrade.

2. User Presets - this is another valuable firmware upgrade that many users have asked for. The firmware upgrade provides three new user presets that store all scope settings including zero adjustment, reticle style/color, color palette, zoom level, etc. Just set it up the way you want it and save that setup!

It is ThermoSight R-Series Software Update 01.17.08

http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/personalvision/view/?id=53129

ENJOY!

Just pulled the trigger and ordered an RS64 35mm from TNVC.com for some hog hunting in West Texas. Excellent customer service there and the reps spent a lot of time answering my questions. Very good info on this forum too which really helped me decide which RS to purchase. So far, I have only tried using a ND-3 green laser at night which hasn't really been all that successful. Can't wait to get my hands on this thermal scope!

Originally Posted By: Bone breaker 73Just pulled the trigger and ordered an RS64 35mm from TNVC.com for some hog hunting in West Texas. Excellent customer service there and the reps spent a lot of time answering my questions. Very good info on this forum too which really helped me decide which RS to purchase. So far, I have only tried using a ND-3 green laser at night which hasn't really been all that successful. Can't wait to get my hands on this thermal scope!

Thank you very much, glad to be of assistance.

Vic

Originally Posted By: Bone breaker 73Just pulled the trigger and ordered an RS64 35mm from TNVC.com for some hog hunting in West Texas. Excellent customer service there and the reps spent a lot of time answering my questions. Very good info on this forum too which really helped me decide which RS to purchase. So far, I have only tried using a ND-3 green laser at night which hasn't really been all that successful. Can't wait to get my hands on this thermal scope! just remain calm...and please no pacing the day of the delivery.

Back