Nervous about buying an E- caller after reading reviews

Go FoxPro Freezer Pig. They have a call for all budgets and good service if you would ever need it. I have owned other brands and have good luck with most of them but Fox Pro is AMERICAN made and will stand behind what they deliver to you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Freezer PigWow!! I love this post. I came to PM as a woodchuck hunter, about 6 weeks ago, we lost a chicken to a predator that ate feathers and all. I'm blaming a coyote, so I'm gearing up. I've been researching calls and this is one of the best threads I've read.

I haven't been around here enough to get to "know" anyone, but this discussion has been great. I hope nobody got their panties in a bunch over anything. It seems like everybody has a strong opinion, but it's been pretty articulate and civil.

It reminds me of the endless John Deere/International Harvester debates I've heard my entire life. At the end of the year, the crop was planted and harvested and the ground tilled...... if there was a real clear advantage, that company would have the market cornered.

I haven't decided what I'll get as a call, but I have to say this post opened my eyes a little further.

Thanks

Should have been around during the early 2000's. The debates between the Loudmouth and Foxpro 416 caller were great. The early WT versus Foxpro debates were really good too. I think the owners from Loudmouth and WT were more entertaining than the customers. They were so entertaining I believe both were banned from this site. That was at the time when digital callers were just beginning to take off. Prior to that, the MS512 was the caller of choice.

Loudmouth calls there's a name from the past, what ever happened to Wayne? Wasn't he the owner.... They seemed cutting edge then pooooof vapor ware!

Originally Posted By: lowtempguruLoudmouth calls there's a name from the past, what ever happened to Wayne? Wasn't he the owner.... They seemed cutting edge then pooooof vapor ware!

Yep, Wayne was the owner of the Loudmouth caller. He was only in business a few years after coming out with his first caller. His 2nd generation caller (16 sound card versus the 8 sounds on his original) wasn't on the market long before going under. I think the development costs might have over took him early in the company (just my guess). Where Foxpro used an existing flash light housing for their first callers keeping hardware development costs low, the Loudmouth caller was a tooled and formed housing which may not have been the best choice for a start up company. A few years ago I purchased the developmental caller from Wayne's partner along with a stand alone speaker they were going to come out with. I also got the developmental software they put together back in the early 2000's to support organizing your sounds on the computer and transferring them to the caller (similar to what Foxpro developed). Wayne not only disappeared from the business and this forum, but his partner never heard from him either as of a few years ago. It was a cool caller, but I think he went all in too fast.

Go with FOXPRO and you will not regret it. Their customer service is second to none. Plus I had the chance to talk to them at the World hog and Predator Expo in Waco Texas last year and they have never meet a stranger. Good folks and first class e caller. Plus Big Hal is a funny sum [beeep]!!!

I've owned callers from record players all the way to the new stuff. That being said none of them have the quality, sound, technology, functionality, or customer service FoxPro has. Your gonna have problems eventually with any brand you buy. FoxPro gets it fixed and fast. Even their budget calls are great. I tinker with other calls from time to time i guess out of curiosity. I always give them away to a kid trying to start hunting that can't afford one or someone in a bind.

I currently have an Alpha Dogg from Primos that I just bought new off Ebay for $245 shipped. I took it out yesterday for the first time. We made three stands. In the 3rd stand we had yotes howling back at us, but I couldn't get them to come in.

I had a Turbo Dogg and it's range was about 10 feet. I am not exaggerating. That caller definitely had issues. I sold it promptly after trying to work it out with Primos and Cabelas.

The pre set hunts are great. The range on my new alpha dogg still isn't very good. It has ample sound, but beyond about 30-40 yards even with an elevated position, it has a tendency to lose connection with the unit, or it bounces in a out of reception and causes problems.

I read the entire thread here, and there is another advantage to going with other brands that I haven't heard mention of. Fox Pro callers will not play MP3 files. With Primos callers however, you can download any type of MP3 file you want and download it onto the unit. You can find many of these MP3 calls and sounds free on western rivers website for example. So, there can be substantial cost savings by going with Primos or another brand.

If I had the $500, I would have gone with the Fox Pro, but my budget was half that so I went with the best of another brand. My two cents.

Recon Ops, I don't know where you got your information about FoxPro ecallers not playing MP3 files, but it is wrong. The proprietary sounds are .fxp files but you can also play MP3 and Wave files on FoxPro ecallers.

Wow, I am very sorry for the misinformation. Don't I feel like a dolt. The website I had checked (obviously not the correct manufacturers site) hadn't listed it as a supported file type. Please accept my apologies.

Thanks for calling me out and correcting me.

Ooh Rah Recon Ops. Originally Posted By: Recon OpsWow, I am very sorry for the misinformation. Don't I feel like a dolt. The website I had checked (obviously not the correct manufacturers site) hadn't listed it as a supported file type. Please accept my apologies.

Thanks for calling me out and correcting me.

New to predator hunting...though shot a few yotes and such while hunting for other things. Got a Turbo Dogg not knowing much other than name and it seemed solid now compared to last version. Ran it in back yard that backs up to swamp and had yotes coming in right away but was dark...going this weekend for first deliberate daylight set.

Some observations based on things read here over past couple years as guest...

- the call is VERY LOUD...1-100 and clear as a bell at volume
- remote works for me on football field to over 100 yards.....in deep grass or brush it was about 45-60 yards depending on thickness when sitting directly on ground.
- remote worked great...like backlighting for daylight and night hunting
- downloaded Varmint AL and PRIMOS sounds....installed the ones from PRIMOS (bought a couple bobcat, piglet distress, squirrel, etc) without any problems. I dragged and dropped the files from laptop into folders of caller I determined they belonged....after done I turned on remote and it synced...worked perfect first time.

As for battery life I have it loaded with 100% life...going to be 15* wind chill and in upper 20s here in SC on Saturday....gonna sit until I get a yote, the caller batteries die, or I freeze to my seat.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info as a voyeur/guest and now a member....

When the batteries are fresh in my Alpha Dogg... she will scream like a Raped Ape... and I just downloaded 179 new sounds on it... now... which one to use...Hmmmm.... decisions, decisions.

I guess it will be the Raped Ape in Heat..... again...
tt1.gif

I have a WT 2030 have had it over 5 years it works every time I turn it on
Not that hard on batteries and great sounds
My try the foxpro cs24c soon just a little concerned on the remote ( range, line of site......)
I don't have to be able to see my wt for it to work

EDP. The remote with the CS24C has FHSS technology. I can assure you that there is no problem with the range when using a TX1000 that comes with Shockwave, CS24C or Krakatoa2. I know several hunters using the TX1000 and they all report 200 yards +. Your WT must have FHSS and that's a good thing. Happy Hunting.Originally Posted By: EDPI have a WT 2030 have had it over 5 years it works every time I turn it on
Not that hard on batteries and great sounds
My try the foxpro cs24c soon just a little concerned on the remote ( range, line of site......)
I don't have to be able to see my wt for it to work

Last edited:
Eddie,
The remote range on the 24C is awesome. You must have a hot 2030, because the 3 I have are hit or miss on ranges. Is your 2030 the model in the 30W TOA speaker with the antenna remote, or the newer 2030MS type?

borrowed time,
If I was in your shoes Id stay with the hand calls, they work as good or better than any ecall AND you will always sound different every time via hand. On top of that you will never blow your stand by walking out and setting an ecaller up.
If your local wallymart has a gun section they will have ecalls seasonally like ours up here.
I owned a flextone echo ER1 and it worked great. I shot 13+ dogs over it, 2 years ago they ran $119 and came with 100 sounds. My next was the primos turbo dogg, remote to base connection was a pain in the A** but I still killed coyotes over it. I think primos may have fixed that issue, but could not give %100 on it. For my own I would never buy another primos product.
My lastcall I own is the FoxPro shockwave and it ranks #1, sold all the others.
Its not in you budget right now though.

Back