need hunters for unhunted area texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
That very same thing is starting to happen for "hog hunts" all across Texas. Don't get me wrong I like to shoot hogs but I sure wouldn't pay anyone to do it, but they do and once property owners smell cash things get nasty for the locals.

I can't believe people want payment to go onto their land to kill coyotes and hogs. That's one thing I promised myself I'd never do is pay to hunt either of those things.

Jeremy, very few if any of us pay land owners. I don't pay a cent and I am very protective of the ranches I have acquired. I quit paying deer lease fees many years ago and went to calling. My hunting season is alot longer and I get to shoot many critters.I've been hit up by many to do some guiding. I'll leave that to Randy and Rusty. I don't know about some of these out of staters coming in and throwing the money around. I don't have to worry about the 20 or so ranches I hunt on but some callers will loose country due to outfitters or paying varmint leases someday.

Buker, I hear ya on the paying. I'm the same way on prairie dogs. I had an invite to shoot PD's up by Stratford, Tx. I shot on the place a couple of years earlier and had a blast. The 2nd time I went when I met the rancher he stuck put his hand which I shook. He kept his hand out and said he needed a little fee. Last time I ever set foot on his place. Hope all the PD's eat all his grass.

WOW tat is all i can say about this......i hope to God that a bunch of out of state idiots dont start paying landowners around where i am to hunt for varmints....i have lived in central texas all my life and have never even thought about this happenig....well boys im with you on the praying!!

Quote:

Buker, I hear ya on the paying. I'm the same way on prairie dogs. I had an invite to shoot PD's up by Stratford, Tx. I shot on the place a couple of years earlier and had a blast. The 2nd time I went when I met the rancher he stuck put his hand which I shook. He kept his hand out and said he needed a little fee. Last time I ever set foot on his place. Hope all the PD's eat all his grass.

Bob,

I hear ya on the prairie dogs. I used to go to SD every summer and blast 'em. But, many of the ranchers I went to got "better" offers and insisted I pay if I wanted to hunt. No prairie dog is worth $150.00.... Crazy stuff.

I'll hang up my calls and give away my killin' chair before I pay a single red penny to any landowner for the rights to kill predators off of their land. If I start feeling pressure from my landowners to pay...whether it's this year or 20 years from now, consider me done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It would be the worst thing a rancher could do if they value their sheep, quail, turkey, deer, etc......take money from green predator hunters so they can do more harm than good by educating everything with 4 legs and probably shooting some livestock, deer, etc. while they are at it.

Bob: Regarding the guiding....I'm retired! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I figure it's time for me to see how well I can do at putting some fur down myself both for fun and killing predators for ranchers who want them gone (which is also fun). It's been too long since I've spent some serious time sitting up in that chair and I've got big hopes for next season. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

This is happening in NY also... all the cidiots (city-iots) as I call them are locking up all the private land with hunting leases... primarily for deer hunting and people purchasing small parcels (200 acres) here and their to setup a hobby farm. Most of these idiots will not let anyone else step foot on the property. In these areas I hope the coyote and other predators thin out all the turkey and deer... and chew on mertle the family goat some so as then they will wake up and smell the coffee.

In the meantime I guess I just have to keep knocking on other doors and driving even further for areas to hunt... at least until gas hits that $4/gal mark..

Another thought... when the hobby farmer calls me wanting me to take care of the killer of mertle... I could charge them for my services...

It needs to be understood by everyone here that it will get to the point where there is very limited free hunting access. It will more likely be a result of the hobby farms that have previously been mentioned than from lease fee hunting or guiding services. Recreational real estate in Texas is a hot commodity, I know because that is the business that I am in. We have purchased 8 ranches in the past ten years or so all of which the first thing we do is "relieve" the grazing pressure from livestock and remove the hunting pressure. Three of the ranches had groups of hunters that had been on the ranch for 25 years plus. It will happen, enjoy your "free" hunting privileges while you can. I’m not fond of the fact that we displace groups of hunters that have leased this land for many years, but it must be remembered that the property owner is owed the highest and best use of their property.

Even if that isn't the case it has been mentioned by some of the premier predator hunters in the west Texas area that they have accumulated permission on very large parcels of land. I believe that Mr. Watson reported to have access to something near the one million acre mark. That is great, for them! I hope to try and “pay” Mr. Watson for a guided hunt in the next few years so I can learn a little more about the sport I love, but Mr. Watson and others have effectively removed access to these particular ranches from the general public. They are protective of the permissions that they have accumulated, and as such they have contributed to the problem. Thus the only way a typical hunter can gain access is through lease fees, which is no new phenomenon.

One way or another free access to recreational property in Texas in particular is limited. If you currently have free access it is most likely family owned ranch / farm land, if not enjoy it while you can!

I see or hear about folks trying to get properties around here almost daily. The ranches I hunt belong to personal friends of mine and would not allow hunting at all if I weren't there. So, I'm not really keeping anyone from access. There are millions of acres of land around here that nobody hunts, for one reason or another. Mostly because of the owner not allowing hunting. Even the property I hunt is shrinking, and before too long I too will stop guiding. Probably within the very near future, I can only take a very few folks per year. After guiding for 10 or so years, soon I too will go back to hunting myself, and enjoying the sport I love. That's too bad, because I love to see people get excited about our sport. I don't need the money, nor does it hardly pay for the costs. So, it won't be long. In the end, the sport loses, and for a while, a few ranchers will make a little, then, it will get where deer hunting is. I think I will always be able to hunt somewhere around here, but nobody can really be sure. Randy

Tresspass fees are comming guys. Did you ever think an elk permit would cost $8000.00. Heck some guys pay $60,000 for land owner elk permits in utah. Bobcat hunt in some states and canada are $2000.00. As far as paying a rancher tresspass fees to hunt varmints, pigs and predators, i see no problem with that. These ranchers have to pay taxes on this property and maintain it. Its not free. They charge $2500 plus to shoot 130 class deer in South Texas. Heck i killed a 140 in my back yard for free. I have two ranches in texas to hunt one is 60 square miles and the other 25 square miles. Is $300.00 a night worth it to hunt these area. YES Can you imagine how many bobcats, coyotes, fox etc is on 85 square miles of unhunted property.

Last edited:
I am lucky that I have a couple of places to hunt varmints and predators on my cousin's place and my aunt's BF's place on Rufugio County TX. The inlaws have 1000 in Arkansas but that's a twice a year deal at best.

I don't lease a place for deer anymore because of costs sky rocketing, lease member politics, and I'd rather eat axis deer any way.

I pray to God that landowners don't get so greedy with yotes and cats that it gets like deer hunting.

I will however pay $300 for a good chance to hunt a bobcat and learn something new.

Someone PM me about a Feb hunt.

sw texas. Southwest of midland. i just cut a deal for $995.00 per person three nights with place to stay plus food. 3 person minimum and i want $200.oo per night to cover my calling time and equiptment. I love to watch guys shoot predators. we should do well on a 25 square mile area. The guy is providing me with a high seat and ranch driver. I must set this up during the dark of the moon. Bobcats are not hard you just must be in an area were they are. Many guys have a hard time shooting at night through a scope with a red light . Heck i had two guys miss bobcats sitting down at 50 yards. Bobcats will often do that. Hunting at night is exciting as you can get. Coyotes are smarter. Fox are dumb. I WOULD RATHER CALL THEM IN FOR SOMEONE THAN SHOOT THEM MYSELF

Last edited:
no $995.00 for 3 nights per person includes food, lodging, all gas plus $200.00 per night split to pay me for my time. heck, my airfare will be $300.00. im just doing this for fun. i love hunting predators in texas and just sold my car dealership for a nice dollor so i have alot of free time. i have hunted west texas and south texas numerous times. I have hunted in crane, upton,gaines, andrew,midland, glasscock,sterling counties to name a few. i crushed the fox by mertzon texas last year and that was during a full moon..

Last edited:
I guess I'm just going to have to start shooting pool as a hobby. I'm already so tired of all of the hunting lease property games. One day you have a farm to hunt the next day you don't. Last year a land owner told me I had to call the lessee to ask if I could still predator hunt. So I called, he said sure I could go just give him a call he would go with me because he wanted to learn how it was done, I replied never mind I would just hunt elsewhere that I wasn’t looking for a hunting partner just some property to hunting. Chris,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back