Need a wicked .22 LR bullet

Winchester Subsonic HPs for me. Lotta greys where I hunt, can shoot 3-4 times with these before they scatter. With faster rounds they usually vacate the tree on the first shot fired.

sounds more like shot placment then bullet selection. i use air rifles for small game personally. ammo doesnt cost a ton and they just do the job great. for my .22lr it really likes subsonic rounds and doesnt cycle HV very good.

Originally Posted By: Cabin FeverI took the kids (10 & 14) out over the weekend for some squirrel hunting. Although they tried to take head and neck shots, they sometimes grazed the head/neck and hit the squirrels in the shoulder. Anyway, I had to chase some of the squirrels down (tough in ~1' of snow) and bloodtrail with less than perfect shot placement.

We were using regular .22 Remington hollowpoints. I use to use .22 CCI Stingers, that I stopped using because I just ran out one day and started using the Rem hollowpoints. I am thinking of switching back to the CCI Stingers, as I remember them blowing the snot out of whatever they hit.

Are there other .22 longrifles bullets that I should consider? I want a wicked little bullet that will hold them down.

...I have found that some of the standard velocity hollow points don't even open up when body shots on squirrels are taken. The hollow point cavity isn't deep enough, they just act like a solid point. You end up getting a complete pass thru, and if it didn't hit the vitals, they just keep going don't they!!

If the stingers were accurate out of your guns, I would go back to that round. I have found them to be really wicked, even out of my Ruger Single Six revolver (and most accurate if you could believe that!) I have also had great luck with the CCI SGB (small game bullet) out of my rifles. These deep hollow points did open up on the squirrels, I never recovered one, but the exit holes were a lot bigger than the entry holes.

Good luck with the kids! I love going with my son!

Originally Posted By: Ratzapper... I have also had great luck with the CCI SGB (small game bullet) out of my rifles. These deep hollow points did open up on the squirrels, I never recovered one, but the exit holes were a lot bigger than the entry holes.

CCI SGB are not hollowpoints - they are a solid nose flat point. With that said, I've always liked them. They have always been consistent and accurate in various guns over the years and that little flat point smacks game pretty hard with less meat damage than a frangible hollowpoint.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Ratzapper... I have also had great luck with the CCI SGB (small game bullet) out of my rifles. These deep hollow points did open up on the squirrels, I never recovered one, but the exit holes were a lot bigger than the entry holes.

CCI SGB are not hollowpoints - they are a solid nose flat point. With that said, I've always liked them. They have always been consistent and accurate in various guns over the years and that little flat point smacks game pretty hard with less meat damage than a frangible hollowpoint.

You are absolutely correct!!..I meant SubSonic HP by CCI!!!!...The SGB is the one with the flat "metplat" on the end....Thank you for correcting me!!........Everyting I said about the CCI SGB was really about the CCI SubSonic HP.....I must do a better job of previewing my posts (typing quicker than thinking!)....I have used the CCI SGB's with good results, but I do prefer the SubSonic HP's more.

I haven't used the CCI SubSonic, but the older Eley and newer Winchester SubSonic have been excellent. For the price the accuracy and consistency of the Winchester SubSonic has been excellent. It's great squirrel medicine.

I have good luck with Winchester hollow points my self even the cheep bulk win seems to shoot good in my guns and makes a real good Splat!

but the most wicked 22 round Ive used is the CCI segmented HPs

Rust hunter- plus one for the segments. I just started shooting these (not for tree squirrels though). I've killed 2 opossums with them. The wounds were nasty

Not all .22lr cartridges will shoot the same in all barrels...You have to match the cartridge to your individual barrel...Just as you need to match a load to your centerfire rifles..

I've been working with 25 different brands/types for the last year and my various .22 rifles/pistols..as well as the DPMS upper on which I've been trying to do an evaluation..

I've found some that have a reputation, or are marketed, as being "Match" grade that didn't shoot to that level, while some that are "utility" grade rounds perform well...Keep in mind that most "Match" grade rounds are having a lower velocity than High, Extra High, or Hyper Velocity rounds. I've had some rounds that are reasonably accurate at 25 yards, shoot extremely wide groups at 50 yards and are not worth shooting at any range past 50 yards on small game targets..

Terminal effects are an entirely additional concern...Some that are listed as "Hollow Point" are actually just dimpled noses and while accurate in some barrels, have the same effect as a blunt, or 'flat nosed' bullet...Where a true Hollow Point will open up in game as it is supposed to, but may cause more tissue destruction than the hunter really wants..

The only 22LR round I will hunt with is the 36gr Armscor HP. Devastating doesn't even begin to describe what they do to squirrels and rabbits. Only 22 round I've shot where the animal [beeep] with it is DRT. Flat puts them down.

Originally Posted By: jim87formulaOriginally Posted By: getfoxyThunderbolts for me.

I have to agree with this, that's all I use...

I've had more of these fail to fire in both of my .22 than any other.Cheap for a reason!

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle I've had some rounds that are reasonably accurate at 25 yards, shoot extremely wide groups at 50 yards and are not worth shooting at any range past 50 yards on small game targets..

That is most likely because those "High Velocity" rounds are still supersonic @ 25yds. However, they drop below the supersonic range (and therefore go through the "buffet", distrubing the flight of the bullet), before they get to 50yds.

The CCI Mini-Mag HP for example has a muzzel velocity of 1260 ft/s. At 25 yds. it is still going 1175 ft/s. However, at 41 yards it drops below supersonic and at 50 yds. it is going 1106 ft/s. The "buffet" zone is between 0.95 - 1.00 Mach or 1.00 - 0.95 Mach).

The CCI Stinger however, has a muzzel velocity of 1640 ft/s. At 25 yds. it is still going 1453 ft/s. At 50 yds. it is going 1292 ft/s. (still super-sonic). The bullet drops below the speed of sound at 84 yds.

I personally perfer the CCI Velocitor. (1.)It is a "standard" size shell. So you don't have to worry about the rifleing engraving the case like the Stingers. (2.)The Velocitor uses 40gn Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point Bullets. Therefore having more energy down-range (104.9ft/lbs for the Velocitor compared to 81.3ft/lbs for the Stinger) The Velocitor has a muzzel velocity of 1435 ft/s. At 25 yds. it is still going 1326 ft/s. At 50 yds. it is going 1230 ft/s. (still super-sonic). The bullet drops below the speed of sound at 83 yds. (One yard shorter than the Stinger).

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Originally Posted By: jim87formulaOriginally Posted By: getfoxyThunderbolts for me.

I have to agree with this, that's all I use...

I've had more of these fail to fire in both of my .22 than any other.Cheap for a reason!
Funny, they shoot great in my sig mosquito, the most ammo sensitive pistol I've ever seen.

Back