Need a wicked .22 LR bullet

Crowpopper love the airforce. I have been looking at the Ben. Marauder and just can't make up my mind, should I just bite the bullet and buy it or what. THe people that have them love them. I like the quietness of them and the accuracy but I am new to PCP and the hand pump kinda has me worried a little bit. Thanks Jamie

What part are you worried about Jaspa? I will buy one when I get a tank. If you have Co2 stuff, you can use co2 with it too. WOn't be as fast, but will have more shots, because you can fill with liquid co2 instead of air

well i love the airforce guns but id love to have a maruder also
if ur a power junky go with airforce but for plinkin and squirrels go maruderand both can use co2
personally im a powerjunky so i have the airforce

sorry for the hijack here guys

Put me down for the Velocitors as well. 1400+ fps for a 40 grain bullet. Makes a heck of a thump on a squack. Don't ever really recall having a runner if the shot was less then perfect. They get dead in a hurry.

Those CCI segmented rounds make quick work of a squack as well from what I hear, never tried 'em though.

Good luck!

From the .22lr rounds that I have shot Ground squirrels with nothing planted them better than the Quickshock.. of course I wasnt interested in eatin em.. lol

I haven't tried any but an ad in predxtreme says---Winchester new for 2009-- HV .22 long rifle lead free projectile. They clam 1640 fps

I shoot the CCI Mini Mags,They work well for me on small game.Ive used them for coyote too but at really close range.These were head shots at 40 yards or less.

I gotta say that I have done a ton of testing of .22 rounds and have a buddy that works in the ATK/CCI plant at Lewiston, ID. Hands down the most wicked tear-em-up round for the .22 is the CCI Segmented HP. It is a Stinger (1640fps) that has been pre-split into three sections that disintegrate when they hit. Accuracy isn't the greatest due to their speed, but they are more than enough for a squirrel at 100 yards. I have tested them in phone books, plastic buckets, 16 gauge sheet metal, water jugs, and stacked cardboard and they come apart very reliably in everything I tried. They penetrated through 4 plastic 5 gal buckets and by the second bucket, you could see three different holes from the segements that came apart. Through the sheet metal, they went through and fragmented instantly when the hit the backstop about 6 inches behind it. I haven't shot any squirrels with them, but birds seem to go "poof" pretty decent for a .22. My only problem with them is that they are hard to find and the accuracy is sub-par at distance compared to the subsonic and match rounds available.

Eley subsonic,Nothing is as acurate,nothing as quit and when you see how hard they hit you will be sold.I am with Seal you got to do the shootin'. That requires something that shoots well.And a good shooting rifle.

CCI Velocitors kill squirrels dead! They are much more accurate out of my Marlin than stingers and just flat work. I hunt squirrels a lot and tried powerpoints, subsonics, stingers and others and I found nothing else like velocitors. A body shot will generally have most of the innards on the outside and head shots are just devastating. A solid body shot and you won't have anymore runners.

Velocitors shoot great out of my Ruger 77-22 but are horrible in my KleinGunther K22. The K22 likes Winchester Super X HP's. Stingers won't shoot in any of my riles. Just have to try them all to see what shoots best in each rifle.

Originally Posted By: tntrapperi like the aquila 60 grain sub sonics .they hit good in my opinion

That's the most accurate round I have tried in my bolt action Marlin. 60 grains of lead from a 22 short shell produces a heck of a whomp at 50 yards or less. Subsonic and will cycle a semi, if you shoot one. They shoot an asprin sized group in my gun at 50 yards.

You never mentioned what kind of squirrel. Fox squirrels can be really TOUGH to drop, especially with shots that are close to but not quite in the vitals. I don't think you need a hyper-velocity shell though. I just think shots need to be better placed. Remember, a load that's potent enough to drop squirrels (fox squirrel included) with so-so hits is definitely going to be potent enough to destroy alot of the meat and squirrel meat, I'm sure you know, is very good eating!
I've used everything from .177-.25 airguns to the 5mm Remington Magnum. I now prefer (for rimfires) either a subsonic Long Rifle hollowpoint (especially in the early season when the leafs are on the trees and the shots are much closer) and a regular 37-38 gr. high velocity hollowpoint for later in the season when the leafs are off the trees and the shots come a bit further out. The subsonic is my favorite loading though. Supremely accurate, extremely quiet, and very lethal. A mighty tough combination to beat.
I've used hypers before but feel that they're a bit too much for squirrel. Sure if you place the shot dead center in the lungs of a fox squirrel broadside, you'll be okay. You don't eat the lungs anyway and there's a good 2"-2.5" of target available to you but that's asking an awful lot under hunting conditions.
I've used the Quik-Shok for small pests. First thing I shot was a sparrow and it LITERALLY made the little bird disappear in a small cloud of feathers. I couldn't even find the beak or feet! A pigeon was next and it was cut completely in two at it's widest point. A friend took a woodchuck at approx. 80 yards with a behind the shoulder shot. The animal just stopped like a freeze-frame picture from a video camera. Another friend shot some grey squirrels with them and found that they caused exhalation of vital organs. In other words, it was blowing the vital organs OUT of the animal on the exit side! That's TOO much damage for my tastes on an animal that most of us enjoy eating! CCI has a subsonic segmented load that I've read good things about. It MIGHT be mild enough so that the meat damage is acceptable but I can't speak for certain. Hope this is of help! --- Mike

I guess the hypers are a no-no for alot of semi's but in my old Remington 540-X (match chamber) that I had cut down into sporter dimensions, I never had a problem with hypers. The new Quik-Shok ammo though (too explosive for squirrels IMO) are now on a regular long rifle case or at least, that's my understanding. ---- Mike

I have a lot of experience shooting problematic gophers with the Remington yellowjackets, and the cci stingers that you used to use. The yellowjackets do the job, but they do not do as much damage as the stingers. Stingers will literally blow a gopher out of its skin, nothing left but a head and some hide. If hit in the head there will be nothing left of it. They do more damage to than a standard hollow point .22 mag when used on critters weighing less than three pounds in my experience. I haven't tried all the rest, but I don't think you'll be disappointed just going back to stingers. They do have a draw back though. I don't use stingers for squirrels myself because they do too much damage, and are overkill in my opinion. For squirells I just use regular velocity soft points and have never had a problem with them dying, even with body shots. For squirlels I prefer heavy, slow, and expanding as opposed to light, hyper, & explosive.

Originally Posted By: Song Dog AssasinI have a lot of experience shooting problematic gophers with the Remington yellowjackets, and the cci stingers that you used to use. The yellowjackets do the job, but they do not do as much damage as the stingers. Stingers will literally blow a gopher out of its skin, nothing left but a head and some hide. If hit in the head there will be nothing left of it. They do more damage to than a standard hollow point .22 mag when used on critters weighing less than three pounds in my experience. I haven't tried all the rest, but I don't think you'll be disappointed just going back to stingers. They do have a draw back though. I don't use stingers for squirrels myself because they do too much damage, and are overkill in my opinion. For squirells I just use regular velocity soft points and have never had a problem with them dying, even with body shots. For squirlels I prefer heavy, slow, and expanding as opposed to light, hyper, & explosive.

I always liked Yellow Jackets too (even a bit more than Stingers) because they shot a little more accurately out of two of my bolt-actions (both Remingtons). You're definitely right about meat damage! If a hunter is not getting clean kills with regular hollowpoints (subsonic or high velocity), he just needs to practice more and/or hold off on questionable shots. Tree squirrels are delicious (I like them a little more than cottontails myself). No need to damage large amounts of meat. --- Mike

Back