Need a wicked .22 LR bullet

Cabin Fever

I took the kids (10 & 14) out over the weekend for some squirrel hunting. Although they tried to take head and neck shots, they sometimes grazed the head/neck and hit the squirrels in the shoulder. Anyway, I had to chase some of the squirrels down (tough in ~1' of snow) and bloodtrail with less than perfect shot placement.

We were using regular .22 Remington hollowpoints. I use to use .22 CCI Stingers, that I stopped using because I just ran out one day and started using the Rem hollowpoints. I am thinking of switching back to the CCI Stingers, as I remember them blowing the snot out of whatever they hit.

Are there other .22 longrifles bullets that I should consider? I want a wicked little bullet that will hold them down.

Might I recommend CCI Quik-Shoks, segmented bullets, if you are using bolt actions. I'm not fond of running hyper speed stuff through simis. Bought a box and shot a few squirrels with them last season, they're devistating, but a bit pricey.

Nick T

Last edited:
Mini Mag hollowpoints kill squirrels and rabbits pretty well. Stingers are slightly higher velocity, but a lighter bullet. The downside of Stingers is that the case is .090 longer than a standard 22LR and won't work in match chambered barrels.

Look at the CCI Velociraptor, also. It's like a shortened Stinger. Never used them myself, but the ballistics look good.

Buy a box of each and see which one your rifle shoots best, because there's probably a huge difference in accuracy out of your barrel, and no way to determine it without actual shooting.

I'm not too sure I'd blame the boys for "bad shot placement" using Remington ammo. Maybe your rifle shoots them real well, but mine sure won't.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Check out a thread (.22 ammo) on RimfireCentral.com... There are several pages of evaluations of ammo there....I wound up buying about 20 brands/types trying to find an "accurate" one for one of my .22s and the thread helped narrow down some potential problems with others...

EL and Nick T are correct in their information about running "Hyper-Velocity" types in semis, and the Stingers..

I've found the most accurate seem to be the "Standard Velocity" type bullets of higher quality than most of the 'bulk pack' types..

If you can find them, see about obtaining some of the Centurion brand, made by Aquila....They sell locally for a little over $2.25 per 50 and shoot as accurately (for me) as some of the $7-10 per 50...

I now shoot CCI Stingers just because they are available where I live, but I used to shoot Aguila Super Maximum. They are available at Cabela's I know. I shot a clip of Remington ammo and then a clip of the Aguila and at 50 yards the Aguila shot about an inch and a half higher. And better grouping with my rifle at least. Hope this helps.

i use a high powered air rifle and can take squirrels out to 75 yards without an issue using roundnose pellets
i am shooting the heavie 28 grain pellets at 1050 fps
i have polymer tipped hollow point pellets but i find they damadge the squirrles too much so i stick to the heavies
i agree find one ur gun shoots well and stock up so u dont run out

SANY0372.jpg

SANY0373.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say either CCI Velocitors,Quickshocks,Mini Mags or Stingers.I've shot prairie dogs with all of these bullets and they all seem to hit pretty hard.Especially the Quickshocks.I know you asked about squirrels but I've never shot a squirrel at all but I would'nt think their any tougher than a prairie dog.I have shot more of them with the Federal HP's in the bulk pack than anything and they kill them just as dead as the Quickshocks.They just dont tear em' up as bad.But if you happened to graze a squirrel with a Quickshock it would probably still live.If you hit one in the shoulder with a Quickshock it would be dead before it hit the ground more than likely.

All i shoot is the cci's would never shoot anything else. i shoot them in both my bolt action marlin-glenfield 25 and my semi-auto marlin 60. I love them

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Doesn't matter what shells you use, shot placement is the key in this situation.

+1 I use CCI subsonics and have no problem with kills. Headshots only. If I can't get a headshot, I don't shoot.

I tried all the high velocity stuff and it didn't shoot well out of my rifle. You just have to try different types and see what works. Find something accurate and consistent and don't worry about the velocity.

I shot lots of variety of bulk through my 10/22 semi, then I tried the new winchester super X and my ruger semi loves them. They put a good hole in the richardson ground squirrels (gophers) that we shoot up here in Alberta. My buddy gave me a box of cci and they have really tightened up the groups at the range but have yet to try them on game.

Originally Posted By: elimi_nateI used to shoot Aguila Super Maximum. They are available at Cabela's I know.

If your rifle is accurate with this ammo, it is right on the heels (speed-wise) of the .17 HM2 with a bigger bullet. I like the stuff, myself.
thumbup1.gif

Back